Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Anamorphic Lenses
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 5:32 pm    Post subject: Anamorphic Lenses Reply with quote

Anyone using Anamorphic Lenses?
I know, what is anamorphic??? Think CinemaScope. Anamorphic lenses were used to compress the image horizontally to give widescreen on a standard film format. A similar lens was used during projection to stretch the image back. Because digital projection does not need an anamorphic lens, the projection lenses are available at auction sites. Mine is a Sankor 16D and I use it in front of a Nikkor 105 2.5 Sonnar lens. The most difficult thing is that you have to focus both the taking lens and the anamorphic lens but it is not bad as I shoot stills and not video.

The images need to be stretched in post. Photoshop works but I prefer Blow Up 3 from AlienSkin. Because the cinema film is vertical, the DSLR image is much wider and I like to crop to the standard 2.4 widescreen format. I think it is different than shooting wide and cropping because it keeps the foreground perspective with the taking lens and makes the background wide. Anamorphic lenses also give a really cool flare that movie directors love. I am sure you have seen it.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I checked into anamorphic lenses when I saw some on e-bay while researching isco and schneider lenses. Looks interesting. But the prices I've seen seem kinda high for a specialty lens.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to just keep looking. Sometimes you get a bargain.
Most you see are projection lenses and need to be used in front of the camera lens. There are a few companies that make the adapters.
Pete

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think your anamorphic photos are quite good, Pete.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Guardian

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete wrote:
Thank you Guardian

Welcome Turtle

BTW, Pete, turkeys most assuredly can fly. At least the wild ones that roam my land can.

Pigs? Not so much. Laugh 1

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Guardian, Wild Turkeys can fly but not the Thanksgiving Turkeys. The quote was from an episode of WKRP in Cincinnati where they dropped them from a helicopter. It was called 'Turkeys Away' and is well worth searching for on the internet.
Pete

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete wrote:
Yes Guardian, Wild Turkeys can fly but not the Thanksgiving Turkeys. The quote was from an episode of WKRP in Cincinnati where they dropped them from a helicopter. It was called 'Turkeys Away' and is well worth searching for on the internet.
Pete

OMG I laughed myself silly! I do not recall ever having seen that episode before:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lf3mgmEdfwg

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you liked it.
That episode is a total classic and you will probably watch it every Thanksgiving like I do.
Pete

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I occasionally use a Schneider Anamorphic Super Cinelux MC 2X and a Sony/Zeiss 50mm f/1.8 with NEX-7/NEX-3 as the taking lens/camera.. I'm pretty satisfied with the results. I mostly pre-focus the anamorphic lens for a certain distance and then I just use auto focus on the 50/1.8

--mike

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ppl want anamorphic lenses for the anamorphic bokeh !
i personally use Cinemorph Filter

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

leemik wrote:
I occasionally use a Schneider Anamorphic Super Cinelux MC 2X and a Sony/Zeiss 50mm f/1.8 with NEX-7/NEX-3 as the taking lens/camera.. I'm pretty satisfied with the results. I mostly pre-focus the anamorphic lens for a certain distance and then I just use auto focus on the 50/1.8

--mike

That is pretty much how I do it. I sometimes have to tweak the anamorphic lens at night for the best focus. I did not have much luck with 50mm on full frame so I usually use my 105 2.5 Sonnar.

zzzxtreme wrote:
ppl want anamorphic lenses for the anamorphic bokeh !
i personally use Cinemorph Filter

Yes and also the anamorphic flare.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: Anamorphic Lenses Reply with quote

Pete wrote:
Anyone using Anamorphic Lenses?
I know, what is anamorphic??? Think CinemaScope. Anamorphic lenses were used to compress the image horizontally to give widescreen on a standard film format. A similar lens was used during projection to stretch the image back. Because digital projection does not need an anamorphic lens, the projection lenses are available at auction sites. Mine is a Sankor 16D and I use it in front of a Nikkor 105 2.5 Sonnar lens. The most difficult thing is that you have to focus both the taking lens and the anamorphic lens but it is not bad as I shoot stills and not video.

The images need to be stretched in post. Photoshop works but I prefer Blow Up 3 from AlienSkin. Because the cinema film is vertical, the DSLR image is much wider and I like to crop to the standard 2.4 widescreen format. I think it is different than shooting wide and cropping because it keeps the foreground perspective with the taking lens and makes the background wide. Anamorphic lenses also give a really cool flare that movie directors love. I am sure you have seen it.

Great photos! Is it sharp enough for landscapes? Seems to be a nice tool for one shot panorama pics.(I saw some suprisingly good and lots of awfully soft photos on Flickr.)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Mark and it probably would not do it for landscape. The anamorphic lens optically compresses the horizontal and it must be stretched out in post. The stretch in essence is a 190 / 200 % enlargement. While Photoshop can do the stretch, I prefer to use a fractal based program like AlienSkin Blow Up 3. Many people on the anamorphic groups have commented on how sharp my photos are. Still it gives quite an interesting look and makes you think about your images differently. Probably for landscape, you could shoot with a wide angle and crop to the 2.4 Cinema format. I set my crop tool for 5x12.
Pete

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice results.
I have Rectimascope 48/2x and Schneider ES Cinelux
Let me post sample
Sony NEX+Lensturbo+Isco kipron 90+ Anamorphic es cinelux

NEX +SK 62,5 +ES Cinelux anamorphic 2x

Meyer Trioplan N 100/2,8 + Rectimascope 48/2x

I agree, it's not suit for landscape, I mean if you want sharpness all over

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Suat,
I get that haze too a lot when I shoot towards the Sun. I guess because we are using projection lenses, they were not corrected for incoming light. Looks like you have the focusing down. I think for landscape, the best thing would be shoot a wide angle and crop down.
Pete

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IAZA wrote:
Nice results.
I have Rectimascope 48/2x and Schneider ES Cinelux
Let me post sample
Sony NEX+Lensturbo+Isco kipron 90+ Anamorphic es cinelux

NEX +SK 62,5 +ES Cinelux anamorphic 2x

Meyer Trioplan N 100/2,8 + Rectimascope 48/2x

I agree, it's not suit for landscape, I mean if you want sharpness all over

Thanks the help, btw I was looking at thee two lenses. (There is a Rectimascope for sale on a local site, and I read good things about the Schneider.) Stiching process can be an alternative as well, but it has its own difficulties and also requires special equipment.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete wrote:
Thank you Suat,
I get that haze too a lot when I shoot towards the Sun. I guess because we are using projection lenses, they were not corrected for incoming light. Looks like you have the focusing down. I think for landscape, the best thing would be shoot a wide angle and crop down.
Pete

If you talk about my 2nd pic, the tree, background isn't haze, it's smoke from fire.

Mark wrote:
Thanks the help, btw I was looking at thee two lenses. (There is a Rectimascope for sale on a local site, and I read good things about the Schneider.) Stiching process can be an alternative as well, but it has its own difficulties and also requires special equipment.

Rectimascope has more focusing option, because it has focusing ring, while SK Cinelux series has fixed focus, can be set with screw driver, and the limited range focus. But Cinelux is sharper

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love mine. Don't use it as much as I should as it's a job to get it setup. Also need a good takeup lens as right now I'm limited in that.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most Cineluxes have a focus helicoid. They are very sharp indeed. If matched with a suitable taking lens they should be sharp right to the corners. If you're not getting that, try a different taking lens.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I think the taking lens is very important. Also, because of the different mounting adapters, the actual markings on the Anamorphic Lens may not match the taking lens. I am finding that mine focuses best at infinity when the Sankor is set to 20 meters.

Another thing we need to remember is that cinema film was spooled vertically and also had sound tracks. Our modern FX DSLRs are taxing the image circle and can vignette. I crop to 2.4 widescreen format and this usually cuts out the vignette. Then I sometimes add it back in post...

A couple from this weekend.