Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Telephoto array finds dark matter galaxies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:56 am    Post subject: Telephoto array finds dark matter galaxies. Reply with quote

Apparently an innovative group of astronomers at yale decided to use an array of telephoto lenses instead of traditional telescopes in their research.

Prices are sure to shoot up now, dammit.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.astro.caltech.edu/~ycao/B&ETalks/vandokkum_bne.pdf
Quote:
•Upgrade! Will be going from 10 to 50 lenses

http://www.astro.yale.edu/vdbosch/hd.pdf
The 2 pdf's have tons of info for the geeks.

http://phys.org/news/2016-08-scientists-dark-milky-massive-galaxy.html
http://www.dunlap.utoronto.ca/instrumentation/dragonfly/
http://news.yale.edu/2016/08/25/scientists-discover-dark-milky-way
http://petapixel.com/2015/05/27/this-telescope-uses-10-canon-lenses-worth-100000/

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats one of my Soligors, middle row, second from the left.
I kid, I kid!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's an interesting project.
Well explained even for me, who knows not very much about this theme!
And they seem to know what they are doing (when not choosing Soligors Wink)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really interesting!!! Puts my sky-watching to shame.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JFTR Arrays + deconvolution (virtual apertures) have been used for decades now. Dont ask me for details, please - I only read about it somewhere, I dont work in that field. Maybe I should have. :<

It is still impressive (can you say cloud- I mean skybuster?) and it is working in the 500 nm area I understand (virtual telescopes are often radio)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have considered making an array of cheap second hand point and shoot digital cams and stitching the result. So many ideas so little time!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without a doubt, the array of 10 super telephoto lenses Canon 400mm F2.8, which cost $10,000 each, is very impressive. Much more impressive, for example than an array of 10 Pentacon 135mm F2.8 telephoto lenses. Laugh 1

Speaking seriously, the price of $100k they paid for the set of Canon lenses was a bargain for an important scientific experiment. Just to give an idea of the costs of science today, the budget of CERN in 2016 is 1127.2 billion CHF, what corresponds to more than 3 million a day! Shocked

I have little doubt that the results were significant to unravel the mysteries of the universe. Moreover, those scientists were very smart in using "cheap" (!) commercial photographic lenses instead of an exceedingly expensive telescope specially designed for the experiment. By the way, the inspiration probably came from a team member with experience in birding. You know, 400mm F2.8 lenses are very popular with bird photographers. Smile

Some additional observations:

1) The scientists "discovered" that the Canon lens produces less light scatter then the big reflecting telescopes used by the professional astronomers. Rolling Eyes Not a big news, to be true. Photographers have long known that the so-called catadioptric lenses, aka "mirror lenses", produce images with less contrast than normal photographic lenses. Cool

2) The goal of using an array with 10 telephoto lenses was only to increase the capability of detecting astronomical subjects of extremely small light intensity. The telephoto array did not increase, for example, the resolution or the angle of coverage compared with a single lens. In principle, the same result they achieved could be obtained with only one lens and an exposure time ten times larger. Nonetheless, the scientific setup would be much less impressive. Razz

3) The scientists praised in several articles the nano-coating(s) of the Canon lens. They considered it an important factor for the success of the experiment. IMHO, scientists bought the marketing of Canon and other lens manufacturers, who like to talk about the "miraculous" properties of the lens coatings. Evil or Very Mad Ken Rockwell says a lot of BS, I know, but I totally agree with him when he comments on the Nikon 400mm F2.8 lens, which is equivalent to the Canon lens used in the experiment:

"N: Magic Nano-crystal coating, meaning a coating which varies its index of refraction continuously to achieve even greater reflection reduction. It's probably only on one surface, and is used mostly for marketing purposes."
http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/400mm-f28-fl.htm

Indeed, the Canon lenses used in the experiment have 17 elements in 13 optical groups. There are 26 air-glass surfaces, so it should be evident that one or two surfaces with nano-coating have negligible impact on the performance compared with a lens with only traditional multicoated surfaces. Idea

Bibliographical Reference:
https://arxiv.org/pdf/1401.5473v1.pdf

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canon has stated that that they use the best coating on the surfaces that need it the most, so it will likely only be needed on only one or two surfaces, they also said that these nano coatings will give the designers more freedom in lens design, the biggest down side is that the nano coatings are very soft.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightshow wrote:
Canon has stated that that they use the best coating on the surfaces that need it the most, so it will likely only be needed on only one or two surfaces

Yes, this is the usual excuse by the lens manufacturers since when Pentax launched a massive marketing for its Super Multi Coating, SMC, 50 years ago. Since then, many people believe in the miraculous properties of lens multicoating. After multicoating was vulgarized, the Japanese lens manufacturers started to promote the new miracle in the lens coating technology called nano-coating...

Japanese manufacturers are not alone in taking advantage of the "coating marketing". Zeiss has promoted its T* coating since the 1940s. The T* coating is probably no better or worse than the coatings used by other lens manufacturers. From a more scientific point of view, the lens coatings are still far from ideal. An ideal coating completely eliminates reflection, so you could see, for example, the internal elements of a lens with absolute clarity. The picture below shows that the reality of lens coating is far from ideal. The lens in question is an Otus 85mm F1.4, with the famous T* coating. Note that the strong reflections of light make virtually impossible to see the inside of the lens.

http://www.popphoto.com/gear/2014/09/new-gear-zeiss-otus-1485-lens-takes-aim-high-end-portrait-photographers

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Certainly, coatings not perfect. (1-imperfection)^(2*lenses)

But is it a fair test to look at a tilted angle into a lens? Plus interior of lenses is usually really black to eat stray light.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gerald wrote:
Lightshow wrote:
Canon has stated that that they use the best coating on the surfaces that need it the most, so it will likely only be needed on only one or two surfaces

Yes, this is the usual excuse by the lens manufacturers since when Pentax launched a massive marketing for its Super Multi Coating, SMC, 50 years ago. Since then, many people believe in the miraculous properties of lens multicoating. After multicoating was vulgarized, the Japanese lens manufacturers started to promote the new miracle in the lens coating technology called nano-coating...

Japanese manufacturers are not alone in taking advantage of the "coating marketing". Zeiss has promoted its T* coating since the 1940s. The T* coating is probably no better or worse than the coatings used by other lens manufacturers. From a more scientific point of view, the lens coatings are still far from ideal. An ideal coating completely eliminates reflection, so you could see, for example, the internal elements of a lens with absolute clarity. The picture below shows that the reality of lens coating is far from ideal. The lens in question is an Otus 85mm F1.4, with the famous T* coating. Note that the strong reflections of light make virtually impossible to see the inside of the lens.

http://www.popphoto.com/gear/2014/09/new-gear-zeiss-otus-1485-lens-takes-aim-high-end-portrait-photographers

So, because you can still see reflected light the whole concept is a hoax? Give me a break, your tinfoil hat is showing.
If you need proof, compare a new B+W MRC filter with an old one from the 70's(which I've done), the amount reflected light with the B+W filter is drastically reduced.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After doing some research into coatings I found that early uncoated lenses lose about 4% of available light at each air glass interface. That is the main reason early lenses tended to mostly be triplets. With more complex optical schemes F numbers dropped so quickly and contrast became so poor that they weren't a reasonable answer to improved optical construction. With the discovery by astronomers! that old lenses in telescopes performed better research ensued to discover why. Coatings by specialty chemicals were far better than the film of haze left by evaporating lubricants. Modern lenses can have lots of coatings. There are 2 main effects by which coatings improve optical performance. The first is that the coating will have an index of refraction between that of interface materials (air to glass for single coatings, and air to coating to coating to glass for multi coated). The second effect is interference. By making the thickness of the coating 1/4 the wavelength of the light the cancellation by destructive interference improves performance. Many lenses today will have 10 to 15 elements.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightshow wrote:
[So, because you can still see reflected light the whole concept is a hoax?.

I said it's a hoax? I only said that lens coating performance is still far from ideal but that has not prevented manufacturers to make a disproportionate marketing on the merits of lens coating for over 50 years.

Lightshow wrote:
Give me a break, your tinfoil hat is showing.

I want to think you are referring to "tinfoil hat" not in a derogatory manner, but only as a shield to prevent "mind control" by the lens manufacturers. Twisted Evil
Don't worry, I am an engineer and scientist and I don't need a tinfoil hat to understand that the marketing on lens coating is just... marketing!

For a scientist, photographic lenses are just pieces of glass, metal and plastic to refract light and form images of real objects. The rest is phantasmagoria created by marketing. Smile
I strongly suggest you stop using the pink glasses provided by the manufacturers' marketing departments who want to show photographic lenses in a much more beautifully way than they really are. Cool

My criticism is of the marketing hype that has turned lens coating into a fetish. So that no doubt remains, let me put it this way: lens coating is an extremely important technology that made possible the manufacture of modern lenses with many elements. No doubt about it. Nonetheless, if the single-layer coating technology represents a great progress, as the number of layers of coating increases, the gain decreases as given by the law of diminishing returns.

One way to scientifically test the effectiveness of lens coating is by comparing two optically identical lenses but with different coatings. A while ago I compared two CZJ Sonnar 180mm F2.8 lenses, one single-coated and the other multicoated.

The "girls":

The scene had strong backlight, justly a situation in which reflections in the lens surfaces can induce visible losses of contrast and color saturation. To make the effect even more apparent, I increased the exposure to make the images more natural. Look at the results:

Scene as shot with "normal" exposure:

Scene after exposure compensation:

Single-coated X Multicoated (100% crops):

To my eyes there is no visible difference between the rendering of the single-coated and the multicoated lens. When I bought many years ago the brand new CZJ MC Sonnar 180mm F2.8, I thought the performance would be much better than the single-layer coating Sonnar I already had. I was more naïve and believed in the "multicoated marketing". What a fool I was. Mr. Green

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gerald what a great test! I would have expected a bit more improvement as well. But just with routine experience and not a carefully controlled test my hunch was that the Super-Takumar's were very close to or as good as the Super Multi Coated. It would appear that most of the improvement is with the first coating.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't sure if my humor would show through with out any emoticons.
I can see a difference between my Super-Taks and my S-M-C lenses, is it huge? no, do I see it in every situation? no, but the difference is still there.
And I do agree that there are diminishing returns.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gerald wrote:
"N: Magic Nano-crystal coating, meaning a coating which varies its index of refraction continuously to achieve even greater reflection reduction. It's probably only on one surface, and is used mostly for marketing purposes."
http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/400mm-f28-fl.htm

Indeed, the Canon lenses used in the experiment have 17 elements in 13 optical groups. There are 26 air-glass surfaces, so it should be evident that one or two surfaces with nano-coating have negligible impact on the performance compared with a lens with only traditional multicoated surfaces. Idea..

Like with many things in life and technic things are not all that easy pure better and pur worse.
Lens tests with one grade number as result are easy to understand, but not always the full truth.

Nano coating is a great invention, but it has its downsides.
From what I know it is at the moment expensive and not very wear resistant. And fingerprints destroy their special quality.
But they work much better with oblique rays. So with a nano coated surface you get more degrees of freedom for the lens design.

So the profit from nano coating is not better transmission for vertical rays, but for very slanted rays relative to the surface.

This is what I learned on my last optical coatings workshop.