Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Sony NEX-5
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 6:50 am    Post subject: Sony NEX-5 Reply with quote

I have an old beat up Sony NEX-5. It works well as far as I can tell (hasn't been used much the last couple of years) but exterior is quite rough (didn't age well). I don't think I'll be able to sell it easily but on the other hand wouldn't want to see it go to waste either. So I'm thinking if there's a Canon or Nikon shooter here on a tight budget that would like to try a mirrorless camera, I'd be willing to trade for anything of interest and similar value. You get the camera and everything that came with it (body cap, charger, external flash, original box, papers, etc) except the kit zoom, plus I'll add an extra off brand battery. I value the camera at around 50 or 60 EUR due to its cosmetic appearance (again, it works perfectly fine) and in return would like to get a lens of similar price range (I have nothing particular in mind), preferably in M42, M39 or Minolta SR mount. PM me if you'd like to trade.

Here's a pic of the camera. Notice the scratches, mostly on the top. The rear is quite ok though and the LCD is protected with an plastic protector:

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, miran. I do own a NEX 5 last week and it´s in perfect shape, but menus and all UI are only in japanese language. I´m cuban, and I don´t know a single japanese word. Laugh 1 . I did think that with a firmware update I could fix the language problem, but after done this with the latest version available, I only could achieve the focus peaking function and a couple more. Japanese remains! I find the NEX 5 a great little camera and would like to try yours. Could you be a little more explicit about what kind of M42 or M39 lenses are you interested in? I should use Postal Service for send you items, and I guess you too. I have received a couple of lenses three weeks ago from Spain and I have no problem. Just let me know if you want to try this.

Greetings from Havana!
Alejandro

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe you can change the language on yours? It would be a pity to have to let it go if its perfect because mine is far from it. I looked at mine and here's how you change the language:

1. Press the Menu button (on the rear of the camera, top right of the LCD screen) to get into the menus.
2. Select the bottom right icon (labeled "Setup" in English) by using the direction buttons on the scroll wheel and pressing the center button.
3. Scroll down to line 22 (labeled "Language" in English) and press center button.
4. A menu with a list of languages appears. On my camera the first item is "English", the third is "Español". Select the language you want and the change takes effect immediately.

But I don't have any Asian lanugages to choose from so maybe you don't have any western ones? If that's the case perhaps there's a European/American specific firmware, I wouldn't know. Anyway, try this procedure and if it doesn't work, we can talk further. Smile

Or maybe someone else can help?

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, miran. I´m afraid that´s not my case. I´ve read a ton of posts about this @ many forums, and it seems to be an awful market strategy from Sony. They makes cameras for exporting (International items) and cameras only for the japanese market (like mine). In my camera menu, the "language" tab is disabled and it cannot be modified.
Unfortunately, language is featured apart from firmware version, and it is located in some hidden place of the ROM that remains untouched no matter what kind of firmware you install. I have upgraded to an english release of the latest firmware version and results in an improved camera with some features added, but in japanese language.
SOme users reports they have corrected this issue by modifying the firmware, but they have to unpack it, modify some code lines under linux OS, repack it.... and try. I think it is a too risky option for someone with no software development skills and very limited resources. I´d prefer to leave a fully working camera with it´s japanese UI, rather than get it bricked. Another possibility is a firmware hack developed by a guy (I don´t remember his name), but actually, there´s only a working version, for the Sony Alpha A55. It fix the language issue, but I doubt this guy could be interested in develope a hack version for the old NEX-5 already. So, I´m following your trade offers anxiously, NEX 5 is a great little camera.

Cheers!
PS: Sorry for my bad english.

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you're right. Check your PMs.

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have read your PM, but maybe I have some problems to reply... My message stays at Outbox and didn´t go out... Maybe email???

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rupertfather wrote:
I have read your PM, but maybe I have some problems to reply... My message stays at Outbox and didn´t go out... Maybe email???

All is OK. Your message stays in the Outbox until Miran reads it.

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you! OH, what a miss!! I didn´t know.
Thanks