Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Sold a bunch of stuff............Purchased a 5D
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 9:19 pm    Post subject: Sold a bunch of stuff............Purchased a 5D Reply with quote

Got a 1 YO one from Peebay. The camera has under 1100 clicks so very light use. Super Nice seller made a BIN price for me so I paid what I wanted exactly not more or less. It comes with of Extra batteries, a lot accessories, Lowepro SlingBack case, and AF 24-105 IS L lens. The lens will likely go up for sale. Anyone want it?

Very Happy Andy

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats, nice camera. Now you can pour scorn on all of us DX-sensor users Smile

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats!!! AF lens no way Smile

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

congrats sunshine! smart move for the summer

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Guys. Don't worry Chris I would never scorn any of my brothers and sisters in the manual focus family Smile The Af lens that comes with is in trouble though. All my other lenses will laugh him out of the house. Laughing I'll keep it out of the cabinet away from the "real" lenses. I wanted a body only but this deal was to good to pass. The 24-105 will be easy to sell as I have heard it is not bad overall and quite popular. Cool

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy, congrats! The lens, if in good shape, could bring some nice change
to help with the cost of that 5D body.

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Andy,
So happy that you got such a nice full frame camera...
The dream of all the photographers-to-be Wink

So we'll be expecting shocking pictures from your side right now...

Enjoy it!

Jes.

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am envious as I have wanted one for quite some time. Congrats!

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations, and welcome to the club!!! Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats Andy!

For us the 5D was the biggest step forward we've ever made in digital photography because of the full-format sensor. No one who had this camera in his hands the first time is able to use a crop camera afterwards without a feeling of imperfection. The bright view finder, the narrow DOF - a new world. Very Happy

By the way, if you are not forced to sell the 24-105L keep it. It's a nice one,very sharp, flare and aberrations are well controlled and distortion is only a small issue shooting at 24mm. Because of the IS (up to three stops) you are able to shoot and hold some pictures that are otherwise impossible, even with a faster lens.

This has nothing to do with our addiction for manual lens, but sometimes you'll need a lens for practical purposes.

Michael

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Borges wrote:

This has nothing to do with our addiction for manual lens, but sometimes you'll need a lens for practical purposes.
Michael

Yes, it's so annoying in the summer with the windows open and all those papers on the desk flying around with the breeze Twisted Evil

ok, ok, I'll be good Laughing
(maybe) Laughing

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing

Congratulations! What a fab cam!

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Yes, it's so annoying in the summer with the windows open and all those papers on the desk flying around with the breeze

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Thanks guys for your comments. I probably will sell the 24-105. Michael I appreciate your suggestion. The fact is I can not afford to keep it and other lenses as well. When I use a zoom it is usually a cheap viv s1 I have for high risk of damage days (hiking, street, etc). Over the last couple days I've been using a Contax CZ 35-135. It has been a real change to have a zoom lens on the camera as Zooms are not comfortable for me. I may end up letting the Contax go as well in the end. Certainly I would keep the Contax over the Canon AF. The big thing is $ I can sell the 24-105 for about $800. Or I could sell both and pay for the new body entirely Shocked The only reason it might stay is if Michelle has to have it. If she was not getting into Digital shooting so much the 5D would probably have waited. It's fun to have your girl interested in photography also expensive Embarassed

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 12:12 am    Post subject: The 5D has landed Reply with quote

Well I can consider myself fortunate. This camera is really simply new. The function was set on program and the counter was on 976. Both lcd's still with the factory film on them.Whover owned it played around with it for a year and thats it. One question I hope other's can answer. The shutter when fired makes an unfamiliar sound to me. The 40d you hear a the soft clunk of the mirror and that's it. The 5d actually sounds like it is winding film with a soft clunk and whir. Is that normal? Confused

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:

Yes, it's so annoying in the summer with the windows open and all those papers on the desk flying around with the breeze Twisted Evil

ok, ok, I'll be good Laughing
(maybe) Laughing

No, please, good is boring Twisted Evil

F16SUNSHINE wrote:

The 40d you hear a the soft clunk of the mirror and that's it. The 5d actually sounds like it is winding film with a soft clunk and whir. Is that normal?

The sound is remarkable louder because of the bigger mirror, but I didn't recognize something like a whir. Perhaps I don't understand exactly what you mean.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: The 5D has landed Reply with quote

F16SUNSHINE wrote:
The 5d actually sounds like it is winding film with a soft clunk and whir. Is that normal? Confused

If you refer to the high pitched sound that it's heard after the mirror clunk, then yes, it does that.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK
Thanks Orio and Michael. I thought it was normal just not sure. The 40D as mentioned does not do this. It was very odd to me at first. The sound is like a motor drive on a film cam. Of course much quieter. It sure is nice to have a full viewfinder again. I agree with what Michael said . The crop cam will be difficult to pick up again. Ms. Thing will get it full time I think. Smile Maybe I can get her to start posting here. She is also a manual focus dedicate. Wink

Here is my first quick shot with Zuiko 2/21 a bit of vignet because I still had the hood on I used with the 40D

wide open

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So how does it feel to shoot with the whole lens? Very Happy

I think you will enjoy so much. You will really rediscover your lenses. So much of the character of a lens resides in the edges - also typically in compositions the edges are where most of the bokeh action takes place - so really the lenses appear and perform in a totally new way compared with APS-C format.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yes it is great to have a full viewfinder for digital. It feels like I have one of the Contax bodies up to my eye (although without the nice split screen). I'm having a serious problem with my adapters however. Only one (from 5) of my C/Y adapters will mount, the zuiko is good, m42 good, Nikon does not work nor does Leica. They just simple due not thread in. Rolling Eyes New learning curve again Laughing

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats Andy and say welcome back to your now really wide angle lenses Very Happy

Orio is right about re-discovering lenses. I got some unpleasant results with some lenses wide open because they can be soft in the corners, things I didn't got in APS-C camera.

So far I have no problem with the Nikon to EOS adapter. You have to mount the adapter on the lens first then on the 5D. No problem too with the only one C/Y adapter I have, but some Contax lenses are hiting the mirror (Tessar 2,8/40 'pancake') or sanding a little bit the camera body (Tele-Tessar 3,5/200) with the auto-aperture pin just in top of the 5D mount's electric contacts .

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Flor

The problem I am having is with the actual adapters. I have to discovered what the issue is tonight when I get home. Maybe it is the AF chip getting hung up Question

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

F16SUNSHINE wrote:
OK
Thanks Orio and Michael. I thought it was normal just not sure. The 40D as mentioned does not do this. It was very odd to me at first. The sound is like a motor drive on a film cam. Of course much quieter. It sure is nice to have a full viewfinder again. I agree with what Michael said . The crop cam will be difficult to pick up again. Ms. Thing will get it full time I think. Smile Maybe I can get her to start posting here. She is also a manual focus dedicate. Wink

Here is my first quick shot with Zuiko 2/21 a bit of vignet because I still had the hood on I used with the 40D

wide open

It's kind of a old post, but I just wanted to say that this image is stunning Smile Love the color... did you tune the image a lot in PS or is the lens that give this color? I guess the lens play at least a lot in this if not totally Wink
There is vigneting, but I like vigneting sometimes Razz In this case it fit well Smile
I only find it annoying for landscapes actually, most portraits or one subject pictures look better with some vigneting.... what I don't like is softness on edges Razz... Hope the lenses I will trade against my Canon 50mm f1.4 USM will do better on this point Wink

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your comment. I'm happy you like the shot. It was just a quicky.There is little or no PP on the shot. Just conversion from RAW maybe a slight curve. The lens is amazing for sure. I think it one of my real gems and will never part with it. The Vignette you see is from a filter/hood. I had the lens on a crop cam prior to this shot and forgot to remove it.