Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

OM MC 50/1,4 (v.3)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 12:11 pm    Post subject: OM MC 50/1,4 (v.3) Reply with quote

The OM MC 50/1,4 v.3 is with me now.

I'm waiting for the adapter, will came in two or three days.

According to the literature, the the v.3 had not any element interchangeable with the others version, what does happen between the v.4 and v.5. Between the last two the changes are cosmetics and in coating, but the same formula with interchangeable elements-

Any experience with the "MC" in front ring version?

Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Oly 50/1.4 for being somewhat different from a bunch of very similar 50/1.4s from other manufacturers.
Out of the three MC 50/1.4s I've seen all had at least some clouding in the doublet.
Good news are: while there is a difference, it is not really noticeable in the final picture.
Also front group is susceptible to schneideritis, seen signs of it on two out of three. Zero impact on the image though.

In the end I've compiled myself a copy with best glass from different lenses, but I can't say it was worth the effort.

Lens album: https://www.flickr.com/photos/curry-hexagon/albums/72157710657276971
(most if not all shots done on a somewhat clouded copy, before frankenlens assembly took place)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aidaho wrote:

I like Oly 50/1.4 for being somewhat different from a bunch of very similar 50/1.4s from other manufacturers.
Out of the three MC 50/1.4s I've seen all had at least some clouding in the doublet.
Good news are: while there is a difference, it is not really noticeable in the final picture.
Also front group is susceptible to schneideritis, seen signs of it on two out of three. Zero impact on the image though.

In the end I've compiled myself a copy with best glass from different lenses, but I can't say it was worth the effort.

Lens album: https://www.flickr.com/photos/curry-hexagon/albums/72157710657276971
(most if not all shots done on a somewhat clouded copy, before frankenlens assembly took place)

Thank you Aidaho.

Very nice glass in my Oly 50, yes. But that haze, very light, so........I'll wait for what does the lens say by itself

I watched your pics and they are very informative about the lens IQ. And good pictures too.

Thank you, again.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a glorious lens, but I have no idea which version mine is.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
It's a glorious lens, but I have no idea which version mine is.

Do you see in your copy any haze or fungus?

Should be very ilustrative to look at your model if you want to show it to us.

Thank you for your input

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: OM MC 50/1,4 (v.3) Reply with quote

papasito wrote:

According to the literature, the the v.3 had not any element interchangeable with the others version, what does happen between the v.4 and v.5. Between the last two the changes are cosmetics and in coating, but the same formula with interchangeable elements-

Thanks

There is another difference within the versions range. On some no slots for a spanner in the front group/element rings to open them. That is where some owners get stuck for a CLA. For mine I made a solution: https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/59902015 The last version of the Olympus OM 50mm 1.4 has factory slots there.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My lens has perfectly clear optics. If you ignore my thumb print on the rear and an annoying speck of dust internally. This lens has no spanner slots, but I don't need to open it, the dust speck doesn't show in the pictures.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
My lens has perfectly clear optics. If you ignore my thumb print on the rear and an annoying speck of dust internally. This lens has no spanner slots, but I don't need to open it, the dust speck doesn't show in the pictures.

That is good. Mine had very small flies in it. Same version as yours I think, beauty ring the same text and ser nr. 7xxxxx. Gave it a UV treatment too as I usually do without checking whether the lens has thorium elements or not. I usually clean the elements of vintage lenses anyway, 40 to 50 years does something to surfaces, might be visible or not on the surface or in the images.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The doublet clouding I've observed in MC copies (8xxxxx-9xxxxx serials) is very mild, can be seen only with a flashlight.
I've disassembled two copies and in both haze/clouding was located inside a doublet.
The third lens wasn't mine, but I assume slight haze was also inside the doublet.

There were no spanner notches on the rings, I had to cut them in first.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This probably is a version 2, single coated none- silvernose. Versions 4 and 5 have the same lenses (and NMC coating) but differ mechanically. That is, if I interpret the drawings in this file ( http://olympus.dementix.org/Hardware/PDFs/50mm_f1.4.pdf ) correctly. I have a version 5 (greenish coating NMC >1.1K) and a version 3 MC (reddish coating). I like them all.
Cheers
Jan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is my OM MC lens

Compare to my MDIII 50/1,4

First MD Second OM. Both at F/5,6

The same, wide open

Now wide open again

Last serie at F/5,6

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bachus wrote:
This probably is a version 2, single coated none- silvernose. Versions 4 and 5 have the same lenses (and NMC coating) but differ mechanically. That is, if I interpret the drawings in this file ( http://olympus.dementix.org/Hardware/PDFs/50mm_f1.4.pdf ) correctly. I have a version 5 (greenish coating NMC >1.1K) and a version 3 MC (reddish coating). I like them all.
Cheers
Jan

My version is 3 with greenish coating.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy:

Thank you, very very much

your OM 50/1,4 is very nice oldest copy.

COngrats

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: OM MC 50/1,4 (v.3) Reply with quote

Ernst Dinkla wrote:
papasito wrote:

Thanks

There is another difference within the versions range. On some no slots for a spanner in the front group/element rings to open them. That is where some owners get stuck for a CLA. For mine I made a solution: https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/59902015 The last version of the Olympus OM 50mm 1.4 has factory slots there.

Thank you, very useful.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aidaho wrote:
The doublet clouding I've observed in MC copies (8xxxxx-9xxxxx serials) is very mild, can be seen only with a flashlight.
I've disassembled two copies and in both haze/clouding was located inside a doublet.
The third lens wasn't mine, but I assume slight haze was also inside the doublet.

There were no spanner notches on the rings, I had to cut them in first.

My copy is V.3 1.012.xxx but seems to have the same problem

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Papasito, I think yours is a version 4 [ and that has the same NMC coating of version 5]. My version 3 has a serialnumber around 840.xxx and is distinctly reddish in hue.
Cheers,
Jan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bachus wrote:
Hi Papasito, I think yours is a version 4 [ and that has the same NMC coating of version 5]. My version 3 has a serialnumber around 840.xxx and is distinctly reddish in hue.
Cheers,
Jan

Thanks Bachus.

I think so. Seems to be a "transition" lens

(the same as in other brands).

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy, yours predates the multi coating, which started with the MC Zukio and then they dropped the MC so it's just Zukio, which is the one I have, it and my multicoated 21/3.5 were my go-to lenses for night shooting on my NEX-7, flare and coma were well controlled.
My Voigtlander 15v3 is now my go-to lens for night shooting.
Be careful using the reflected hue to place a lens into any category, that colour can and will change due to the coating thickness, https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thin-film_interference

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightshow wrote:
Lloydy, yours predates the multi coating, which started with the MC Zukio and then they dropped the MC so it's just Zukio, which is the one I have, it and my multicoated 21/3.5 were my go-to lenses for night shooting on my NEX-7, flare and coma were well controlled.
My Voigtlander 15v3 is now my go-to lens for night shooting.
Be careful using the reflected hue to place a lens into any category, that colour can and will change due to the coating thickness, https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thin-film_interference

Very interesting....I took a series of shots in the Churchyard a few days ago to get a feel for the lens, as ever I focused on the headstone in the middle of the picture and went through each aperture. It was late afternoon, fairly dull and cloudy and the sun was maybe 50 degrees on my left, slightly in front of the camera. The first is wide open, f1.4.

and this was closed right down at f16 That blue spot in the center started at f5.6

I'm not sure if this is either the 'blue spot' that the Tamron 90 / 2.5 suffers with - tthe reflection of the large flattish rear element bouncing onto the sensor? or...the cheap Chinese adapter for my Sony A7ii that I discovered just today is leaking light very badly, it showed up on a crappy Makinon 135 / 2.8 I was repairing very badly as the lens moved on the adapter, but it showed a different effect. I tried some genuine Zuiko's and they also leaked a little bit. I shall investigate further, but a better quality adapter is a must.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is my oldest G.ZUIKO . Seems to be the 1st version. A lot of haze and fungus.

I will try to disassembly it again and see....

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the MDIII at f/5,6-

The OM 3 at f/5,6

More intense reds is MDII, more details in whites in OM MC.

Most general contrast in the MDIII- To my eyes, the central sharpness is for the OM MC

Last edited by papasito on Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:50 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the original image, taken with another 50 mm-