Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Taylor Hobson Cooke Speed Panchro 108 mm f/ 2.0 on Canon 6D
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 2:52 pm    Post subject: Taylor Hobson Cooke Speed Panchro 108 mm f/ 2.0 on Canon 6D Reply with quote

Taylor Hobson Cooke Speed Panchro 108 mm f/ 2.0 design of 1931. There were 8 focal lengths made including a 108mm at f/2.0 for motion picture use. As you probably know, Cooke Speed Panchros were the standard lens used by Hollywood for the better part of the 20th century. However, TT&H lenses made of the classic six-element double-Gauss type were: Amotal, Ivotal, Kinic, Opic, Panchrotal and Speed Panchro.

It is a lens with a maximum focal length range Cooke Speed ​​Panchro, released in 1935 (it includes lenses with focal lengths of 24, 28, 32, 35, 40, 50, 75 and 108 mm). Studio Paramount, Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer, Warner Bros. used only cinema optics Cooke Speed ​​Panchro. Fox, R.K.O., United Artists, Columbia, Universal - apart from Cooke Speed ​​Panchro rented movies on optics and other manufacturers.

Cinema Lens Cooke Speed ​​Panchro 108 mm f / 2.0 is perfect for use on modern cameras as a portrait lens after adaptation by means of the helix. Covered full frame. Gives infinity on all SLR cameras. The diaphragm has a perfectly round shape. Optics without coating, however, has a good natural color reproduction, excellent sharpness in the center of the frame even wide open and gives a fairly contrasting picture. But it is better to avoid contact with the backlight when shooting, as well as the use of the lens hood. Soft effect and chromatic aberration is absent completely. Cooke Speed ​​Panchro 108mm 2.0 has an interesting pattern with a little "twist" bokeh.

This copy belonged to one of the famous writers of Lipetsk, Russia, who also liked the photo. It was purchased by me after 26 years of his life after his death. Most likely, he was commissioned by the helix is ​​made to adapt to its cinema lenses camera "Zenit" and blend. The lens is used with the native yellow filter, which has a positive effect on the safety of optics.

Here are some test pictures, all on the wide-open aperture, a small correction in Lightroom.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rare bird, thank you for sharing!
Whoo Turtle

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Rare bird, thank you for sharing!
Whoo Turtle

You are welcome!
Very interesting movie lens, I like its vintage character drawing and color. In the near future there will be new photos of the model in nature.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice glass, a milestone it was at its time! It's uncoated from what I see (?),
so prone to flare and low contrast...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
Nice glass, a milestone it was at its time! It's uncoated from what I see (?),
so prone to flare and low contrast...

Yes, without a glass prosvetelniya. But low contrast is manifested not always, and not very much. Maybe it's better because it gives a pleasant color. The contrast can be raised if necessary during processing.
Here are a few photos without correction.

I wrote to the manufacturer of optics, I was told that such lenses, despite their age, some studios are still used to achieve a certain effect.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, lacking contrast can be easily corrected in PP.
You know that you have $5.000 lens on hand?
Highly sought after and fetches $$$$ on ebay... Wink

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:

Unbelievable price! And why this lens is so expensive? Similar lenses with similar characteristics (100mm 2.0) are several times lower

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lexx wrote:
kds315* wrote:

Unbelievable price! And why this lens is so expensive? Similar lenses with similar characteristics (100mm 2.0) are several times lower

Its name it has in Asia (like Kinoptik and Dallmeyer) Wink Wink Wink

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw the pics of your daughter on the russian site, could you post a few here please, pretty good those!!
http://club.foto.ru/forum/view_topic.php?topic_id=261862&page=1640#listStart

If you want my advice: keep it!! But as it is very precious there, you might want to sell it to Asia for $$$$
(and get a similar f2 100mm lens instead - and still have enough money for a nice vacation with family Wink )

I really regret that I sold mine a while again (a special type of it, only 30 ever made)...
http://macrolenses.de/ml_detail_sl.php?ObjektiveNr=368

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
Saw the pics of your daughter on the russian site, could you post a few here please, pretty good those!!
http://club.foto.ru/forum/view_topic.php?topic_id=261862&page=1640#listStart

If you want my advice: keep it!! But as it is very precious there, you might want to sell it to Asia for $$$$
(and get a similar f2 100mm lens instead - and still have enough money for a nice vacation with family Wink )

I really regret that I sold mine a while again (a special type of it, only 30 ever made)...
http://macrolenses.de/ml_detail_sl.php?ObjektiveNr=368

Thanks for the advice. I it is that I will not sell, I like the lens. Maybe in the future, if I can find something like 100mm 2.0. Or so.

Yes, you have an interesting modification of the lens and it is very sharp. Thinking my lens does not cover 6x6. Even at full frame around the edges sharpness falls markedly, although there is no vignetting.

Recently I held a long-awaited shot at Taylor Hobson Cooke Speed Panchro 108mm 2.0. It was very interesting as the show itself cine lens, which is 80 years old!

Shooting went well and the weather did not disappoint. My daughter kept trying to get into the scene, crying and wanted to go home, but even that did not prevent me to make the maximum possible number of photos. Photographed with a filter marumi uv and hood. All photos on the 2.0. Canon 6D. In the process of developing the contrast added a little color and WB rules, sharpness did not add much.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1 Like 1 Excellent it is!! Great that you will keep it.
Very pretty daughter you have!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

#6 Whoo Turtle

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
Like 1 Like 1 Like 1 Excellent it is!! Great that you will keep it.
Very pretty daughter you have!

kds315*, Attila , thank you!
This is my wife, I'm 26 years old)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh sorry, than congrats to your beautiful wife!!! Wink

BTw. in case that's interesting, here shots taken with my TTH Special Anastigmat f2/108mm (sold now):
https://www.flickr.com/photos/kds315/albums/72157632021976157

I had it on the optical bench and it has a resolution above 200lpm (100lppm)!!!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
Oh sorry, than congrats to your beautiful wife!!! Wink

BTw. in case that's interesting, here shots taken with my TTH Special Anastigmat f2/108mm (sold now):
https://www.flickr.com/photos/kds315/albums/72157632021976157

I had it on the optical bench and it has a resolution above 200lpm (100lppm)!!!

I read the information on the Internet. It looks like your lens - this is a slightly modified version of the Cook Series O (Opiс) from 1920. He had a little big sizes than cookie speed panchro 108mm 2.0 used in the domestic market in England. Later, from OPIC did speed panchro series and comes in a studio in the United States in the 1930s.

Well, it is the external dimensions of comparison finally Cooke OPIC and Speed ​​Panchro. OPIC F2 in 1920, Speed ​​Panchro F2 is H.W. Lee of Taylor Hobusun company was developed in 1931. Crucial difference of OPIC and Speed ​​Panshro is unknown. Speed ​​Panchro United Kingdom patent is available in 377,537, because the United States patent is 1,955,591, we'll see if you read this, but it does not have available.

Previously, on the basis of the article of the Vade mecum, it was hypothesized as follows.
Hypothesis 1: the end of the 1920s, when the Taylor Hobusun's Wilfred Taylor went to sell travel to Hollywood to give a feel of the distortion-free lens is determined by the brightness of F2. Taylor Hobusun company succeeded in selling was renamed to name likely received in the United States called Speed ​​Panchro from OPIC, became a Hollywood standard lens.

Data, such as support of this hypothesis is not for now. If you only changed the name, up to a certain serial number is OPIC, that is from the following looks good even Speed ​​Panchro, in fact is not the case. Because older than OPIC Speed ​​Panchro has been confirmed, still it is better to think that there was something big change I think that it is natural.

Speed ​​Panchro 3in, Opic 4.25in, cross-sectional comparison of Opic 5.5in. Left the same scale. Right on the basis of the Opic 4.25in, 1.417 times in 3in, the 5.5in over the 0.773-fold, align the size. There is a difference in the clear.

Cascade will be doing when you plot. Opic of the black line and the blue line is overlap exactly, of the red line Speed ​​Panchro can vary greatly. Again Hypothesis 1 seems to have been an error. So, we tried to make a hypothesis 2.

Hypothesis 2: OPIC lenses there was a limit to the aberration correction so had wide angle of view for still photography. So, to narrow the angle of view for 35mm film in Speed ​​Panchro, was thoroughly correct the aberration. This is recognized in Hollywood, fame Speed ​​Panchro has increased at a stretch. But it was subsequently sold to OPIC for still photography popularity does not appear, became immediately discontinued. In the world of still photography it was not possible to compete with the popularity of Tessar and Sonnar of Zeiss.

When thinning the third group of the double Gauss advantageous to wide angle appeared nature of topogon, and to increase the thickness of the third group advantageous to aberration correction in the narrow angle, the hypothesis 2 it on grounds that it may have read the theory of the It was set up.

It was a block diagram of the Speed ​​Panchro 3in trying Kurabeyo and OPIC 4.25in, but I noticed that the configuration diagram of the OPIC 4.25in is suspicious. It seems handling of Koba was bad. It was re-re-measurement. I think that this time is correct.

New accurate version
Lens There are a lot of parts that can not be measured directly with calipers. Only slightly tilt the calipers, it will immediately different about 0.2 millimeters. Diaphragm plate of
Soft things like, you distorted only by lightly against the calipers. If there is a place that can not be decomposed, it can become difficult to further measurement. The first is no choice but to trust the scale of the calipers, but when accustomed come, Toka about 1.5mm in glance, but with the only sense of Toka between 5mm of 6mm. The value was calculated measured indirectly struggling a place that can not be applied directly calipers will be able to reasonably determine whether. Although not visible at all There is a place that can be touched with a finger. Also in this case, you will be the exact distance and divided by the sense of a finger if you get used to it is put out.

30 This much decomposition, measurement and plotting to, finally we have a little familiar. However, the direction of precision processing industries I think Naa would be very. The measure the exact distance with calipers did not think that it is so very. That number is different about 0.5mm Once again measure in the suspiciously, it is often.

Old poor drawing
Configuration diagram of when this is measured in about two weeks ago. The edge thickness of the third group is different whopping 0.8mm. Still it seems to be a need to put a dimension line for a while. At the same, you have to use the JW_CAD, I did not know such a fine thing. Thanks to the wonderfully easy-to-use JW_CAD to free a.

Configuration diagram of Speed ​​Panchro 2 / 75mm

Since the third group of speed bread black can not be pulled out from the barrel, previously we did not Hakare dimensions. However, as get used to, now comparatively accurately you can measure as even in this state.

There is thick second group and the third group. It is considerably thicker as from OPIC, which was the source of this lens. Contents of OPIC and Speed ​​Panchro is I had thought it would be the same, but apparently is quite different.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice lens, especially in portraits Exclamation

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

serkol wrote:
Very nice lens, especially in portraits Exclamation

Thank you!
Yes, I like this lens for portraits

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your detective work to try and find out the history!

I made it a bit easier and asked Cooke optics as they have records
of each lens ever made by them (Cooke Optics is TTH successor...)
I'll dig out the conversation with them when I have time ...

http://www.cookeoptics.com/t/history.html

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bokeh

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful images!!!