Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

70-210mm supertest; Tamron SP, Vivitar Series 1
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marcusBMG wrote:
I have uploaded some red lily pics, with a look at bokeh and OOF rendering. K5, 120mm. Still working on the macro results.

What about rokkor/minolta devinw??

The Minolta "Beercan" 70-210 f4 (or the optically identical) MD zoom 70-210 f4 is a highly regarded lens in that range. I just thought it would be interesting to compare with all the others in your test. Smile

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure the Minolta 70-210 is a fine lens, but Marcus originally set up this test to include those aftermarket lenses that were considered "best of the breed" back when they were being sold new. If he opens this comparison up to include the Minolta, then in fairness, he should also include the Nikkor 80-200/4.5 and f/4 lenses, both highly regarded, and Canon's FD 80-200/4 and 70-210/4. And then there are the Pentax, Oly and even Contax and Leica zooms. And Angenieux. Shouldn't we include them as well? I mean, to be fair and all.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. I don't have those lenses (and in spite of my endemic LBA, no intention of acquiring them - gotta draw the line somewhere... :~ )
2. those lenses don't go on my pentax, and in fact I only have PK and M42 adapters for the NX20 (tho' I do have all except OM adapters for my m43 G1, there was a dodgy ebay seller for a while who was listing them as auctions and I picked them up for <5 bucks each).

But if one of you minolta/rokkor enthusiasts did a similar test I would be appreciative and interested in the results.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

marcusBMG wrote:
But if one of you minolta/rokkor enthusiasts did a similar test I would be appreciative and interested in the results.

I'm just now waiting for my new Minolta 70-210/4 MD to be delivered. Smile Sadly my VS1 70-210/3.5 seems to be completely dead (it wasn't in good shape to begin with) and I have nothing else to compare to other than primes...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your effort. Some time ago I did similar comparison (I hope to share results some time) and all 70-210/3.5 (and similar) Tamrons, Vivitars, Soligors and Tokinas seemed to be beaten up by Panagor 75-205/3.5. I did not perform exact analysis, but at first glance it was obvious. I hope to find some spare time to compare them more carefully.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chudy128314 wrote:
Thank you for your effort. Some time ago I did similar comparison (I hope to share results some time) and all 70-210/3.5 (and similar) Tamrons, Vivitars, Soligors and Tokinas seemed to be beaten up by Panagor 75-205/3.5. I did not perform exact analysis, but at first glance it was obvious. I hope to find some spare time to compare them more carefully.

Thanks for your appreciation.
This panagor?
http://www.pentaxforums.com/userreviews/panagor-pmc-auto-tele-zoom-macro-1-3-5-75-205-mm.html

(That silver aperture ring is reminiscent of a Hoya... = tokina ??)
Test pics by the one reviewer don't look anything special.
There are a number of 75-205mm lenses from the era incl this soligor.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

miran wrote:
marcusBMG wrote:

I'm just now waiting for my new Minolta 70-210/4 MD to be delivered. Smile Sadly my VS1 70-210/3.5 seems to be completely dead (it wasn't in good shape to begin with) and I have nothing else to compare to other than primes...

Haha me too... In fact it should be here today! What did you pay if you don't mind me asking?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
I'm sure the Minolta 70-210 is a fine lens, but Marcus originally set up this test to include those aftermarket lenses that were considered "best of the breed" back when they were being sold new. If he opens this comparison up to include the Minolta, then in fairness, he should also include the Nikkor 80-200/4.5 and f/4 lenses, both highly regarded, and Canon's FD 80-200/4 and 70-210/4. And then there are the Pentax, Oly and even Contax and Leica zooms. And Angenieux. Shouldn't we include them as well? I mean, to be fair and all.

You bet. Didn't mean to ruffle any feathers! The original test is fantastic.

And yeah, I agree on the Nikon 80-200 f/4.. also pretty legendary. It would be neat to see all the big OEM zooms of the time compared (Rokkor, Nikon, and Canon with the best of the 3rd party (Tamron, etc..). I'm sure SOMEBODY owns all those, somewhere Laugh 1

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I belueve that "Panagor" was another Kino (Kiron) house brand.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

devinw wrote:
Haha me too... In fact it should be here today! What did you pay if you don't mind me asking?

I'd rather not say, it's too embarassing. Razz To my defense, it does look like new (arrived today). Smile

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
I belueve that "Panagor" was another Kino (Kiron) house brand.

The Panagor brand is own by Jaca Corporation.

http://camera-wiki.org/wiki/Jaca_Corporation

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

marcusBMG wrote:

Thanks for your appreciation.
This panagor?
http://www.pentaxforums.com/userreviews/panagor-pmc-auto-tele-zoom-macro-1-3-5-75-205-mm.html

(That silver aperture ring is reminiscent of a Hoya... = tokina ??)
Test pics by the one reviewer don't look anything special.
There are a number of 75-205mm lenses from the era incl this soligor.

Yes, this one. I was shocked, because I didn't expect anything special. But, as I stated, it was only first impression, I have to find time to perform more serious analysis.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 5:14 pm    Post subject: Tokina RMC 70-210mm Reply with quote

Just acquired a Tokina RMC 70-210mm f3.5, M42 mount. Optically pretty good, just a couple of slight spotty bits/haze on the second element. Mechanically just a bit "rattly". It's slightly remodelled compared to the VS1 but the similarities are obvious. Internally it looks identical.

Just taken a quick couple of test pics at 210mm of the neigbours chimney, IQ looks similar to my VS1. I'll include some test pics on teh main review pages as and when I take them. Crops at f3.5, Tok RMC top, samsung NX20, jpg's.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Tokina RMC 70-210mm Reply with quote

marcusBMG wrote:
Just acquired a Tokina RMC 70-210mm f3.5, M42 mount. Optically pretty good, just a couple of slight spotty bits/haze on the second element. Mechanically just a bit "rattly". It's slightly remodelled compared to the VS1 but the similarities are obvious. Internally it looks identical.

Good catch, MarcusBMG. You are correct (I believe) about them being (essentially) identical optically (except for the RMC vs VMC multicoatings, of course) -- both have 14 elements in 10 groups, and their innards also do appear identical in Vivitar and Tokina literature illustrations.

However, it's the Tokina-made VS1 that is "slightly remodeled compared to" the RMC Tokina, I think -- I have a full-page ad from Modern Photo or Popular Photo that predates any Vivitar ads for the VS1 V.2 model.

I have K-mount copies of each, and the RMC "weighs" 716g, while the VS1 "weighs" 720g. They are the 2nd and 3rd lenses in this "family snapshot" of the VS1 70-210 MF zooms:

Off the top of my head, I seem to remember just one significant (?) difference between them: I seem to recall that the VS1 focused slightly closer than the RMC -- I attribute this not to any optical difference but more to a mechanical difference in the focus helicoids (but I can't say that with absolute certainty). I also attribute the difference to Vivitar Marketing wanting the V.2 lens to focus a bit closer than the RMC lens, to be closer to the (so-called) "macro" magnification of the V.1 lens. [Disclaimer: This paragraph may consist of a lot of malarkey, but that's what I seem to recall and what I have conjectured.]

Last edited by fwcetus on Sat Sep 10, 2016 8:28 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
the VS1 focused slightly closer than the RMC

You're right, the RMC has 1.4m and the VS1 has 1.2m marked on the distance scale. Stymies my plan to get the 1:4 macro results (at ~1.2m) off the RMC. At the mo the VS1 only focuses to about 1.5m closest due to my messing with it..
Nice set of lenses there, inc the vulgar gold one.... congrats.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I go on vacation and take my Sony A6000. or the NEX5, one of the manual lenses I always take is my Vivitar S1. 70-210 f2.8-4 Komine, it's a wonderful lens that has been across the American SW and Canada's Maritime Provinces. It really is a lens that I trust and automatically put in the bag.
But there is a contender for the place in the bag.......the Tamron 19AH is a lens I've had for a little while and loved since the day I got it, but at home I throw prime lenses in the bag when I go for a walk and the Tamron has had little use until yesterday when it was the only lens I took with me, and I was impressed. What I want is a lens I can trust, a point and shoot lens that I can take pictures with that I haven't got to chimp and check ( unless they are important pictures ) The Tamron is a serious contender to the Vivitar, it might just be better. There's always going to be the argument about constant f3.5 versus the 2.4 / 4 ? But I think that's where the argument ends, both of these lenses do what I want them to do and they do it very well. I shall have to do a back to back test.
I took the Tamron out and just shot pictures quickly, as I would when I use this range of zoom while on vacation. Here's three samples, no PP at all. The building picture isn't as sharp as it could be, but that's camera shake. The Moorhen chick picture might look a bit soft, but they are a bugger to get decent pictures of, the down always looks as though the image is poorly focused. This one isn't bad at all.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes both show very well in the test pics. Neither bests the other overall, the 19AH is better eg at 70mm landscape, the VS1 is better at macro and perhaps edges it slightly at 210mm.
But you know perhaps the most consistent performer in the test is the kiron zoomlock. Certainly my results/conclusions comments will include the point that the KZ deserves just as much regard and accolades as the komine VS1, and for pentax users it can be found in PKA mount too.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:22 pm    Post subject: macro test images Reply with quote

I have now got some images from a close focus test up. Test subject was a banknote.

Results are interesting. Komine VS1 shows well. Kiron VS1 also sharp but only centre frame, IQ drops off rapidly off centre, even on APSC. !9AH not as good as I expected it to be, especially at 1:4, images which were taken at ~ 135mm so towards the strong end of the lens zoom range. in fact trying to focus with the 19AH was really ticklish, it was as if I was trying to focus on a 3d object with no really precise focus point (this was using 7x magnification in the samsungs EVF). I intend to have another go with another example of the lens using my K5 to see if it looks different with an optical VF.... But in principle I would attribute the uncertainty to inherent spherical aberrations.
Note that the tokina VS1 results were a bit compromised by the lens being at ~ 1.5m rather than the spec 1.2m due to my misaligning the infinity focus.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: macro test images Reply with quote

marcusBMG wrote:
I have now got some images from a close focus test up. Test subject was a banknote.

Results are interesting. Komine VS1 shows well.

Wow -- Yes, the VS1 Komine lens did very well, even at moderate distances away from the center.

Thanks for doing all these tests -- they're really quite illuminating.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have now added some results for the well regarded 60-300mm Adaptall SP 23A, and the Tokina RMC 70-210mm I recently acquired. For the turret shots the 23A was set at 200mm and is distinctly slightly wider FoV. For the castle shots I tried more consciously to match FoV with the tokina at a point between 60mm and 100mm.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for including the Tamron 23A in your tests. I have used this lens for many years, mostly because of its versatility and sharpness, even wide open at 300mm. So I'm a bit surprised by your 23A's softness in your test shots. I would have to say that your copy is not typical with my experiences with this zoom. I have many images I've shot with that lens over the years, and what I've liked most about them was the sharpness it demonstrated. I've even done comparison tests using this lens. One comparison test was up against two other zooms that extended out to 300mm, the Tokina AT-X 100-300mm f/4, and the Canon EF 75-300mm f/4.5-5.6. The results showed that the Tamron was pretty much equal to the other two in terms of resolution.

Here are some images from that test. The subject was a water kiosk that was about 400mm down the street from where I used to live. The object was to resolve the words "We care about the water you drink". These are all 100% crops. The camera used was a Canon XS 10.1mp DSLR.

I own two copies of the 23A presently. Your results make me want to test mine again,, with my 24.3mp NEX 7 this time, and see if they agree with your results.

The first 23A I owned, an inner group of elements actually unscrewed itself and fell into the inside of the lens. I was able to open it up and screw the element group back into place. So if your 23A rattles at all, yours might be doing the same thing.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

23A # 2 is definitely sharper - see turret images. Need a sunnier day to get some castle pics.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, #2 is gratifyingly sharper. Time of day was different, it seems, so sometimes it is difficult to evaluate. Scrolling the images around helped.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And 23A #3 (my "personal collection 23A" - a mint example) ups the ante a bit more - though not particularly on the castle shot.

With hindsight I suspect that the first set of shots might have been affected by wind vibration, it was a breezy day. I'll do a few quick comparison test shots between the 23A's....

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A quick comparison test between 23A's #1 and #3 at 200mm, NX20, showed that #1 is indeed a poor performer.

#1 top two crops, f3.8 and f5.6. #3 bottom two crops, f3.8 and f5.6. A quick exposure test showed that the aperture changed enough to drop the shutter speed at zoom 100mm, 135mm, and ~ 200mm, so the indicated f is probably a stop below actual.