Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Dedicated photo printer - Epson SureColor SC-P600
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 4:58 am    Post subject: Dedicated photo printer - Epson SureColor SC-P600 Reply with quote

I'm looking to buy a dedicated pigment ink photo printer. I already have some dye-ink printers with good photo performance and formats up to A1 and I'm not interested in another dye one.

So far my preference goes to Epson SureColor SC-P600 ( http://www.photographyblog.com/reviews/epson_surecolor_sc_p600_review/ ). I'll use it as a home printer and not as a photo-lab printer (probably max. 100 photos/month, tests included).

My questions are:
- What is your experience with this printer?
- My main concern is the ink consumption of this printer. The ink is very expensive and, as I read in some reviews, the 25ml cartridges don't last as long as advertised by Epson. What is your eperience?
- Have any of you tried the Marrutt Ink Solutions ( http://www.marrutt.com/ ) with this printer (or with another one)? They don't seam to be cheap ink resellers but more like quality alternate ink promoters (the ink is produced in USA by a respected company).

Thank you!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

why don't you look up Epson photo printers with external ink tanks?

usually when Epson printers report that the ink is low you can still print out decent amount of A4 sized photos

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For answers to your questions, I recommend you go to Amazon and see if they carry that printer, and then read the reviews. You can also post questions about the printer and you'll likely get answers to them.

I've owned three Epson printers in recent years, including one "Photo Pro" printer. I must say that I will never buy another. If you do a lot of color printing, then an Epson can be a great printer for you. But if you do only occasional color printing, chances are your print heads will begin to clog and then you'll be in trouble. It is almost impossible trying to unclog an Epson print head. I even bought the special kit that a guy from Portugal sells on eBay. It sorta worked, but didn't completely get the heads clean. They finally clogged completely in the Photo Pro machine and in the other two I had no luck whatsoever cleaning the clogs from them.

But if you do a lot of printing, that may be a good printer for you. Just make sure you do, else you may wind up with an expensive, useless lump of office equipment.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
I've owned three Epson printers in recent years, including one "Photo Pro" printer. I must say that I will never buy another. If you do a lot of color printing, then an Epson can be a great printer for you. But if you do only occasional color printing, chances are your print heads will begin to clog and then you'll be in trouble. It is almost impossible trying to unclog an Epson print head.

I, on the other hand, haven't had problems with Epson photo printers. I own Epson Stylus Photo 1400 A3+ printer and Epson Stylus Photo R360 A4 printer for more than 7 years and never had problem with clogging of the print head, and i don't print regularly (often several months between printing)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks fot your imput WolverineX and Cooltouch!

WolverineX wrote:
why don't you look up Epson photo printers with external ink tanks?

At first I was looking at an Epson L1800 with external tanks but I found out that all external ink tanks Epson printers use dye inks...
Then I found a very good deal on an Epson SureColor SC-P600 - the same price as L1800.
Some comparative calculations lead me to the conclusion that, at 100 prints/mounth, 10 years printer life and using genuine inks, to use a SC-P600 would only cost some ~60$/year(~5$/month) more. For what it offers in addition to L1800 (pigment inks instead of dye, 9 inks instead of 6, top IQ for B&W prints, roll feader...) 5$/month looks very acceptable to me. And the ink cartridges of the SC-P600 are big enough for me - mate black is capable of 1100 pages(=>to be changed once in 11 months) and the light black of 10 000 pages(=>to be changed once in 8 years). The others are in-between. Even if the difference was 10$/month it looks acceptable to me. Not to mention that it won the TIPA award in 2015, too... Cool

cooltouch wrote:
I've owned three Epson printers in recent years, including one "Photo Pro" printer. I must say that I will never buy another. If you do a lot of color printing, then an Epson can be a great printer for you. But if you do only occasional color printing, chances are your print heads will begin to clog and then you'll be in trouble. ...

Yes, I know that Epson printer heads (piezo) are more prone to cloging than Canon or HP (termal) if not in use for a longer time.
I found an interesting tip to avoid this issue. Whenever the printer is turned on it automatically goes through a simplified head-cleaning procedure. A cheap house-heating timer mounted at its power outlet could be programed to turn it on for 5 min daily (or every 2 days) and this will greatly reduce the danger of cloging without wasting too much ink.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my Epsons stayed on all the time (a Workforce 600) and it was the worst at clogging. So I don't think this solution would have worked in my case.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WolverineX wrote:
cooltouch wrote:
I've owned three Epson printers in recent years, including one "Photo Pro" printer. I must say that I will never buy another. If you do a lot of color printing, then an Epson can be a great printer for you. But if you do only occasional color printing, chances are your print heads will begin to clog and then you'll be in trouble. It is almost impossible trying to unclog an Epson print head.

I, on the other hand, haven't had problems with Epson photo printers. I own Epson Stylus Photo 1400 A3+ printer and Epson Stylus Photo R360 A4 printer for more than 7 years and never had problem with clogging of the print head, and i don't print regularly (often several months between printing)

+1 WolverineX echos my experience with Epson Stylus Pro 1400. I use Continuous Ink Systems ink for it http://www.cisinks.com/

I specified and used Epson printers 1990s through 2006 in publishing industry from warehouse operations .through catalog & fine art printing departments. And Laserjets, of course, made by Canon. (lol) The other HP printers we tried broke fast.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is fine if you use Epsons regularly. The only point I was trying to make was that if you don't use the color inks on a fairly regular basis -- say at least once a week -- which usually wasn't the case with me, then you might begin experiencing clogs. I printed out plenty of monochrome, but almost never color. I recall telling my daughter, nay, even pleading with her, to print out some color stuff at least once a week. But she didn't, and clogged heads were the result.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But I went 4-6 months sometimes without printing.

At the moment the printer has not been used in over a year. I'll report back how it went when I do get around to it.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I haven't bought the newer Epsons but had 3 older ones and they all clogged up if not used...the last one I tried everything to get it working but gave up and threw it away. The one I have now Photo 2100 just stopped comunicating with the computer...tried different computers and cables but no luck, but I hate to throw it away as it was a good printer but as it's on the floor ATM if I hurt my toes bumping in to it then in the bin it goes.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought the new Epson 10 days before already. It is a very nice photo printer - so far I am very content with my aquisition. When using Epson photo paper or some HQ Art paper (I've tried some Canson Infinity - Arches Aquarelle Rag) the quality is simply outstanding.
The Ink consumption is, on the other hand, much greater than estimated by Epson. I have already ordered a Marut set of refillable cartridges and a set of inks for it. I'm curiouse how good they are in comparasation with the genuine ones (they costed 1/2 the price of the printer...).

Concerning the print heads clogging problem, I'll try a simple cure. I've noticed that most clogging problems occur in regions with low air humidity. The region I live in has quite a high air humidity. Last week I've tested an old HP printer and, surprisingly, after ~2 years of inactivity it worked perfectly from the first attempt (without changing its old ink and without any print heads cleaning).
Anyway, when not in use I'll place inside the printer a humidifier and keep a rubberized canvas cover on it all the time. Hopefully this will keep inner humidity of the printer at high levels. I don't know if it will really help, but I'm optimistic.