Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

CZJ Tessar 2.8/50 on Sony A850
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 12:54 am    Post subject: CZJ Tessar 2.8/50 on Sony A850 Reply with quote

Old, beaten up zebra copy that had a dried up helicoid, I re-lubed it and at the same time converted it from Exakta to M42 using parts from another one with badly fungused glass.

Not the sharpest lens I own but more than sharp enough for casual use. Some of these were using a short extension tube.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice results Ian.
I especially like the landscapes.
Where are they?
OH

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely Ian, especially #3.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice images from a historical lens which certainly has its limits - i remember using an early post-war CZJ Tessar 2.8/5cm for my "Tessar" article in the Sony Fotospiegel 1/2011 (pdf of the article here: http://artaphot.ch/images/Technik/Zeiss/Tessar/FS141_History_ZeissTessar_150dpi.pdf

I didn't like the 2.8/5cm Tessar that much, since it's bokeh was worse than that of the CZJ Biotar 2/5.8cm. Nevertheless i took all the pictures of lenses and cameras in the mentioned article with the Tessar 2.8/5cm and the CZJ Sonnar 3.5/135mm. The large landscape image was taken with 4.5/150mm large format Tessar lens.

Stephan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The landscapes are from the bottom of the road I live on in a small town in South Cumbria, which is in NW England, those are the Lake District hills in the distance.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good, the pano's are particularly good. I like the Tessar, it's just a nice WYSIWYG lens. Wink

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
The landscapes are from the bottom of the road I live on in a small town in South Cumbria, which is in NW England, those are the Lake District hills in the distance.

Lake District is an area that featured on postcards and chocolate boxes that I have seen. Very beautiful.
Thanks for sharing
OH

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1
Nice photos!
I like my Tessar lenses.
That is a very beautiful area that you live in.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:
Nice images from a historical lens which certainly has its limits - i remember using an early post-war CZJ Tessar 2.8/5cm for my "Tessar" article in the Sony Fotospiegel 1/2011 (pdf of the article here: http://artaphot.ch/images/Technik/Zeiss/Tessar/FS141_History_ZeissTessar_150dpi.pdf

I didn't like the 2.8/5cm Tessar that much, since it's bokeh was worse than that of the CZJ Biotar 2/5.8cm. Nevertheless i took all the pictures of lenses and cameras in the mentioned article with the Tessar 2.8/5cm and the CZJ Sonnar 3.5/135mm. The large landscape image was taken with 4.5/150mm large format Tessar lens.

Stephan

The later Tessars are better performers. I think they revised the formula for the 2.8/50 in 1954? I've got a late, black barrel Tessar that is the best lens for macro work I've seen, that wasn't specifically designed for macro.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely shots, which demonstrate that the skill of the photographer is more important than lens used... you live near Hadrian's Wall? It should be a fascinating place. Like 1 small

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: CZJ Tessar 2.8/50 on Sony A850 Reply with quote

Golden hour, very nice!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice series, #7 is amazing!!! Like 1 small Like 1 small Like 1 small

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hadrian's wall is 80 miles north, but the country is very similar here - hills and sheep.

#7 is a bit altered; in Adobe Camera RAW I put the highlights slider all the way to the bottom and the shadows slider all the way to the top, I think I turned up the clarity slider a tad too, but not sure. Lens was at f11 if memory serves me correctly.

Here's the shot as it came out of the camera:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice shots Ian I like them all Like 1

And I like the lens too, I have the zebra and the later
This is (my son) with the zebra, I am not sure what was the f stop:

Carl Zeiss Tessar zebra 50mm f 2.8 WO by drbadr12, on Flickr
Please click for full resolution
Badr

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a really nice candid portrait!

Even with the dozens (literally) of 50mm lenses I own the Tessars still have a place, and always will I think.