Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Yashica Minister D
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 11:42 am    Post subject: Yashica Minister D Reply with quote

I got this camera in a local garage sale for $5. It has the yashinon 45mm f/2.8. I have not tried it yet, as I need to resolve the battery issue first (PX Mercury 625). I think I am going to follow a suggestion to use the 675 zinc air battery and a insulating wire to pad around the perimeter of the smaller battery. The original PX625 is 1.35V, and the zinc air is 1.4V. If I used 625X (which is available in the market), it will be 1.5V.

My question is whether anyone has used this camera and what is the image quality that it produces. The seal around the back started 'to melt away". I perhaps need to buy a new seal and replace it?

Other than that, the camera looks Ok. Shutter seems to work with various speed. A rather unique way to use the meter, and with the coupling f/stop and speed. The focusing mechanism looks very sound (split image and make it into 1 image to focus)

Thanks for comment

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These Ministers are gems, and the Yashinons sterling performers, likely to take you by surprise by how good they are. I've used a 625A battery in my Minister D, but habitually I use a handheld meter, usually a Weston V, not because of the battery thing but because I've used it for decades that way anyway. I've a Minister III which has a selenium meter, still accurate, and I think it's one of the best-looking cameras in the Minister range.

Once you get the hang of the coupled ring system for setting aperture and speed, it's remarkably easy. If you're not using the meter, just set the speed you want, then use the EV ring to set the aperture you want. Thereafter, if you change the speed, the aperture changes automatically to follow, keeping the exposure constant.

It's worth getting the seals done. I did mine using an old black foam rubber mouse mat, and it took less than an hour. You can buy kits, too.

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The minister D and the minister III (or the collectible M3) have the same lens, a five elements 2,8/45.

I could't know about the formula of that five elements (like heliar? like biometar? reformulated tessar?).

Anybody knows?

Rino

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

estudleon wrote:
The minister D and the minister III (or the collectible M3) have the same lens, a five elements 2,8/45.

I could't know about the formula of that five elements (like heliar? like biometar? reformulated tessar?).

Anybody knows?

Rino

Why is the M3 collectible? Something special about it besides the sticker stating M and not Minister? I just ask as I have an M3. Am I now rich?

Are you shure these are 5 element and not 4 element lenses?

Eugen

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some photos taken using Yashica Minister D. I am quite happy for a $5 camera. Everything works flawlessly.

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aniramca wrote:
Some photos taken using Yashica Minister D. I am quite happy for a $5 camera. Everything works flawlessly.

With such results you'd be happy even if it's a $100 camera! Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 8:53 pm    Post subject: Another Minister D Reply with quote

I've got the Minister D from my girlfriend. It was the old camera of her father. That's why she is very happy that I want to use it. I've taken a normal 1,5V Varta alcaline, and reduce the ISO a little bit.

The Film is a Kodak Ektar 100. The developing was made by Carlsson.

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These Yashicas are magnificient beasts, with wonder filled lenses... as both series of photos show. Maybe there's something about its heft and bulk, with that quiet shutter.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2023 6:46 am    Post subject: good Reply with quote

It's great that you found a camera with a Yashinon 45mm f/2.8 lens at a local garage sale! Regarding the battery issue, using a 675 zinc air battery with an insulating wire to pad around the perimeter of the smaller battery is a potential solution. Just keep in mind that zinc air batteries have a limited lifespan once activated, so you may need to replace them periodically.
As for the image quality produced by the camera, it's difficult to provide specific information without knowing the exact model you have. However, Yashica cameras are generally known for their quality optics and can produce sharp and detailed images. It's always a good idea to test the camera with a roll of film or by taking some digital shots to evaluate its performance. Dave The Diver

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2023 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1