Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Silver Helios 44-2
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 1:18 pm    Post subject: Silver Helios 44-2 Reply with quote

Received this from member neoplantar....First try.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had seen some of those polished H44's on eBay, I don't mind seeing them cleaned up a bit, sanding them with a Scotchbright pad is starting to go too far, but polishing them is in my opinion going a bit too far, I've seen them even polishing CZJ lenses, it ruins them IMO.
If this was an early silver 44-2 then it was destroying a rare lens, if it was a late painted 44-2 then not much was lost since there are so many of them out there.
At least it still produces nice pictures.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightshow wrote:

If this was an early silver 44-2 then it was destroying a rare lens, if it was a late painted 44-2 then not much was lost since there are so many of them out there.

I don't think it is the early chrome one. Moreover, even you polish a 44-2, it won't become a chrome one. Wink

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are/were no silver Helios 44-2s. The Helios 40 and 44 (no suffixes) had early, silver models, ah have 2 silver Helios 44s and one in black. Some ebay sellers don't know the difference; ah think the 44-2 /3/4 etc. look good, polished, and they are ubiquitous enough tae have that done. Ye can get a 44-2 for £15-£20, so another £5-10 for a refurb and polish (wouldn't pay more), seems OK tae me - as long as folk know what they're buying. Wouldn't polish an original, though have seen some...shame. Other sellers are simply unscrupulous and pretend that the subsequent 44-2/3/4 et al. are Helios 44s, in order tae double or treble the price asked. Cool

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen many polished Takumars 50mm's on the bay too. Looks nice though.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Serial #81183765 and I like it..

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
Lightshow wrote:

I don't think it is the early chrome one. Moreover, even you polish a 44-2, it won't become a chrome one. Wink

I doubt that's Chromed.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I.e., the lens was a black 44-2; paint was removed; silver-color metal polished?

To me the "polish" sure looks like chrome (nickel) plating to me. Seems like chrome plating the paint-free metal is much easier than polishing all those parts to such a fine finish, yes?

I like it too!

Tuzki with lens

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it. Its cool! The 44-2 is not a rare lens so why not make it stand out Wink
I have a fake golden Leitz Elmar 50mm (org. Industar-22).

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pleased to be in the company of a few connoisseurs of beauty and yes it is chrome plated with front and rear caps engraved HELIOS.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer factory made rather than custom made afterward.