Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Jupiter 3 conundrum
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 7:54 am    Post subject: Jupiter 3 conundrum Reply with quote

Hello!

So, I accidentally bought a Jupiter 3 lens. Accidentally because stupidly I did not realise it was a rangefinder lens and I don't have a rangefinder camera.
This leaves me with two options:

1: Buy a camera. In which case, what camera should I buy? I am worried that the f1.5 dof will be useless on most rangefinder cameras. Does it have to be a Russian one? Zorki? Fed? Or maybe a Canon 7? I KNOW NOTHING!

2: I try and trade/sell the Jupiter 3. Maybe swap with a Sonnar 1.5? Anybody interested in that?

All advice welcome.

R

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Consider first about what you might be giving up on: https://www.flickr.com/photos/kds315/albums/72157668001696442
(this is my 1957s copy)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is some difference between the early J-3 and the later copies. I have heard the later ones are sharper at WO but the bokeh is more busy than the early one.

Normally, the lens should works fine on any camera with LTM. However, you may need to adjust the lens or the camera if the rangefinder coupling is off.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine is a 1967 copy.
I am literally a complete newbie wrt 35mm rangefinders. "Adjusting the lens/camera" means very little to me. Is this hard? Is this going to be precise enough for the dof at max aperture?

Which cameras do you recommend?

Thanks!!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fed 2 is really cheap these days, it has a long Contax-type rangefinder and you can get them in brown/red, blue and green also.

Click here to see on Ebay

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Advice on FED -
Get one with adjusted rangefinder, because its a $$#&# to do it yourself, because that little screw is not likely to be where its should be. I had to dismantle mine to even attempt it.
Maybe a nice Canon P or Canon 7?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like my Zorki 6. It has a diopter adjustment, a hinged door for loading film and at least for myself I found the rangefinder very easy to adjust.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys. So how usable are fast lenses on rangefinders?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fast lenses on rangefinder cameras are fine IF the coupling is properly adjusted. The Russian rangefinder lenses were meant to be compatible with Fed and Zorki bodies which - seemingly - have a lens/film register distance which is slightly different to the Leica and all other types which are built to similar standards. My own experience suggests this indeed is so - none of my Russian lenses (35/2.8, 50/2, 85/2 and 135/4) coupled correctly with either my film M2 or digital M8, even when used with Leitz screw bayonet adapters.

The 50/1.5 will almost certainly need to be adjusted for proper functioning on Leica or Canon (and Voigtlander Bessa) bodies. Adjusting their rangefinders to suit the lens will then make non-Russian lenses fail to couple correctly. A good condition Zorki of Fed will indeed be the most cost-effective solution.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems the cheapest and least hassle way to use this lens.

I quite like the idea of having a camera dedicated to a very specific classic look without distracting lens choices.

Is there a trick to figure out if a rangefinder camera and lens combo is properly adjusted, or should I just buy a nice Russian camera and give it a go?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ALLIPO wrote:
I'm interested in your Jupiter 3 , I would like to buy

There are plenty of those available in Russia!