Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

That's not a lens, this is a lens!
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 4:39 pm    Post subject: That's not a lens, this is a lens! Reply with quote

Let's see if anyone can correctly ID them!

Friends Cheers!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That should be Takumar lenses... 55mm 1.8 and 6x7 55mm 3.5

Wink

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's there to ID? Clearly a MF Pentax, older, so 6x7, distance scale to 10m so 55mm focal distance, aperture scale is visible. So 6x7 Takumar 55/3.5. The small one is Super-Takumar 55/1.8.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Kowa 55mm is even bigger, but it does come with its own shutter.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RAART wrote:
That should be Takumar lenses... 55mm 1.8 and 6x7 55mm 3.5

Wink

We have a winner Very Happy

Gardener wrote:
What's there to ID? Clearly a MF Pentax, older, so 6x7, distance scale to 10m so 55mm focal distance, aperture scale is visible. So 6x7 Takumar 55/3.5. The small one is Super-Takumar 55/1.8.

Not 100% correct on the 1.8 Razz

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 1.8/55 is a Super-Takumar, evidenced by "M" instead of "Man" aperture switch label.

There are plenty of smaller & larger lenses -- finding two with such close resemblance could prove difficult, impossible maybe?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A/M switch vs Auto/Man

Last edited by Lightshow on Sat Jun 25, 2016 5:41 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
The Kowa 55mm is even bigger, but it does come with its own shutter.

What a beauty!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blotafton wrote:

Really? Auto has different DOF scale, and S-M-C does not use rounded lettering. Leaves Super.

edit: Ah-h - but opposite direction on aperture, so must be an Auto then.

Last edited by Gardener on Sat Jun 25, 2016 5:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's actually an Auto-Takumar.

And the 6x7 is Super-Multi-Coated.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gardener wrote:
blotafton wrote:

Really? Auto has different DOF scale, and S-M-C does not use rounded lettering. Leaves Super.

Should be one version before one you are mentioning...

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was very impressed by the massive size of the 6x7 lens so I took the side by side picture for comparison(with some help) Very Happy

That was the main point of this thread, just to clarify.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: That's not a lens, this is a lens! Reply with quote

blotafton wrote:

Both lenses are 55mm, but the smaller is two stops faster. Who said that size matters? Laugh 1

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am seriously beginning to think my Small Bauble Revueflex 55/1.8 is a relabeled Takumar perhaps. The A/M switch looks a bit different though

As to the size comparison, it is certainly impressive, however about any MF lens is pretty large and massive. Especially those fitting Kiev/Hassle or Kiev/P6

It would be interesting to list those that aren't. The relabeled Biometar 80/2.8 perhaps? In its plastic casing with blue stripe it is at least not too heavy.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, those new Hasselblad X lenses don't look humongous.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Certainly the ///// rubber won't white out after 10 years like Minolta 35-40 Old style! Or will it?

As to the Exakta66, au contraire - it is plastic but much bigger than the original Biometar.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, it's going to turn into the black goo like on Sigmas, but not before becoming loose like on Nikkors and then petrifying like on FD.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: That's not a lens, this is a lens! Reply with quote

Gerald wrote:
blotafton wrote:

Both lenses are 55mm, but the smaller is two stops faster. Who said that size matters? Laugh 1

Zeiss matters!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blotafton wrote:
I was very impressed by the massive size of the 6x7 lens so I took the side by side picture for comparison(with some help) Very Happy

Yes, the 6x7, a manly man's camera with manly man's lenses.

(if you could hear me speaking the above, it would be in imitation of Jeremy Clarkson in one of his more pontificating moments)

Last edited by cooltouch on Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:43 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They do look nifty indeed to entice you buying into yet another mount.

The comparison however is not that fair I should add after reading up. Its impressive miniaturity is obtained by a crop factor of "only" about 0.7xFF (44x33), while technically MF, this is not that much bigger than FF.

About the same pixel density as 10Mpix APSC, only 5 times the area.

While this will certainly make for impressive shots, the lens doesn't need to light as much area as the humble Biometar. So it is smaller for a reason.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
blotafton wrote:

(if you could here me speaking the above, it would be in imitation of Jeremy Clarkson in one of his more pontificating moments)

Sound like something he would say haha!

buerokratiehasser wrote:
They do look nifty indeed to entice you buying into yet another mount.

The comparison however is not that fair I should add after reading up. Its impressive miniaturity is obtained by a crop factor of "only" about 0.7xFF (44x33), while technically MF, this is not that much bigger than FF.

About the same pixel density as 10Mpix APSC, only 5 times the area.

While this will certainly make for impressive shots, the lens doesn't need to light as much area as the humble Biometar. So it is smaller for a reason.

I may be missing something here but what does the 44x33mm format has to do with these lenses?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:

(if you could hear me speaking the above, it would be in imitation of Jeremy Clarkson in one of his more pontificating moments)

ROTFLMAO (My parents are from Alabama & Mississippi)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have that 6x7 monster lens, and it renders very very nice vintage looking images:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Honey, I shrunk the Takumar!"

Laugh 1

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or you could go to the other extreme:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravitational_lens

Now THATS a lens.