Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Still being surprised by Russian lenses: Mir-24N 35mm f2
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 2:13 pm    Post subject: Still being surprised by Russian lenses: Mir-24N 35mm f2 Reply with quote

Bought this lens on Ebay not long ago for $90. Did not have time to test it on my Nikon, but here are a few pictures taken with the X-T10.
I am absolutely happy with this lens.

Bonus picture with Juniper-9:

Cheers.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not the sharpest lens, but it's rendering more than makes up for that.
I assume you mean a Jupiter 9 vs Juniper 9 :p

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightshow wrote:
Not the sharpest lens, but it's rendering more than makes up for that.
I assume you mean a Jupiter 9 vs Juniper 9 :p

Ops, that was a mistake Smile
I do not perceive the lens as unsharp. For sure it produces rather low contrast images, which I like.
I'll do some tests with the Nikon camera and see how to performs on a high-megapixel sensor.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I decided to double check my sharpness statement, by checking more than than one image this time, the flowers are definitely look soft, the granite cap looks like you just caught the edge of the plane of focus, and the fire hydrant does look plenty sharp, it does seem like contrast is a bit low, but as you say you like that, so it's a personal choice.
So I will modify my sharpness comment to it not being critically sharp, if these were shot wide open, that actually very good results.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightshow wrote:
I decided to double check my sharpness statement, by checking more than than one image this time, the flowers are definitely look soft, the granite cap looks like you just caught the edge of the plane of focus, and the fire hydrant does look plenty sharp, it does seem like contrast is a bit low, but as you say you like that, so it's a personal choice.
So I will modify my sharpness comment to it not being critically sharp, if these were shot wide open, that actually very good results.

I am at odds with the Fuji focus peaking and I find it unreliable, especially when you stop down. The Nikon focus confirmation system is much better and I have rarely missed a shot when using AI(s) lenses (provided I have time to focus).

The X-t10 lacks the 100% magnification view while using focus peaking that gives you additional focus feedback (X-t1 has it). This is the first shooting where I just focused by eye (and by magnifying 100% the subject in the viewfinders).

Another very nice plus of this lens is that you can focus very close to the subject. If you can combine it with a macro helicoid then you can get very interesting macro shots with a relatively wide FOV.