Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

How to diy a focal reducer for apsc sensor.
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:36 pm    Post subject: How to diy a focal reducer for apsc sensor. Reply with quote

Hi,
I've a fujifilm camera with apsc sensor and I want to convert it in a full frame with speedbooster system.
I've a lot of broken old lenses -
can I diy a focal reducer with vintage spares lens ?
I've seen on internet a dude that construct a focal reducer from Russian binoculars and use it for astronomy photography . He says the Lenses are the same of focal reducer adapters.
If I put this lens on my adapter ring can I obtain a reducer of angle of wiew ?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok! i 've put a lens of a old zoom in the m42 ring and it's ok . There's a large reduce of angle of view. How possible?+
I don't' see a reduction of sharpness .
[/img]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use such homemade speedboosters since years:
DIY speedbooster / focal reducer

From my point of view simple achromats could work as speedbooster, but the image quality and usabel field is not so good when a small factor is wanted. I rather use more complex speed booster systems with at least three lenses, sometimes even 6 lenses Double Gauss systems.
I mainly want factor 0.7x, 0.5x or beyond.

At the moment I often use comercial speedboosters, like the Kipon 0.7 medium format speedbooster for fullframe camera. But for example with the Canon FD 400 mm lens where I often use it, one of my DIY speedboosters showed in a short test nearly the same quality.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's complicated. I've made test but quality of pics is poor .No sharp .
Now , i'll buy mitakon lens turbo II.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZoneV wrote:

From my point of view simple achromats could work as speedbooster, but the image quality and usabel field is not so good when a small factor is wanted. I rather use more complex speed booster systems with at least three lenses, sometimes even 6 lenses Double Gauss systems.

At the moment I often use comercial speedboosters, like the Kipon 0.7 medium format speedbooster for fullframe camera. But for example with the Canon FD 400 mm lens where I often use it, one of my DIY speedboosters showed in a short test nearly the same quality.

Do you have any additional information on how you constructed these focal reducers, or how you sourced the optics used to build the positive lens speed booster system?

I'm interested in experimenting with making a focal reducer for a 100mm f2.0 Full-Frame Vintage Prime lens to be used on a Sony APS-C Sensor (Nex-5R). Would I be able to use optical elements from other lenses, or are the elements something I should buy at a place like www.surplusshed.com ?

Also, do you have any diagrams or photos of how you arranged the focal-reducer optic group at the rear of the lens to get the focal reducer effect?

Thanks in advance

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZoneV wrote:

I actually did just find this possibly helpful patient by googling "Reverse Bravais" . It's concerning a "Dual Resolution Printer", but it has some useful info on how the optics work.

https://patents.google.com/patent/US6072519A/en

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I was long time not active here in the forum due to some "turbulences".

I even got such a lens sytem once on Ebay. The extra lens sytem was not mentioned in the sedcription. Only on images visible.
But somehow this got lost somewhere in my other lenses and camera equipment.
But as far as I remember it was not usable for my experiments.

My speedbooster lenses are most times Tessar types or even more lenses. Nothing special designed, cause I do not have machining, knowledge and money to produce them by myself. So they are far from perfect, and most times I use the Kiponmedium format speedbooster in the last years. But my DIY speedbooster lenses made from some llens systems like enlarging or taking lenses are still in use in some of my systems.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a great DIY to learn. I am looking for DIY and make some for myself. Thank you for sharing your ideas. www.concretecontractorslittlerock.com