Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Auto Miranda 135/2.8 for Sensomat (no arm)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:19 am    Post subject: Auto Miranda 135/2.8 for Sensomat (no arm) Reply with quote

Auto Miranda 135/2.8 (no arm)

I've had this for a few years, but only recently acquired a Nex-Miranda adapter.
I gave the lot (all my Miranda stuff) to member walter g.

DSC05118 by luisalegria, on Flickr

Shown on a Miranda Sensorex, though these armless lenses were intended for the Miranda G or Sensomat series, without the "arm", intended for open aperture metering. This series was the simpler, cheaper line of Miranda lenses. In this case though, the 135/2.8, armed and armless versions seem very similar.

In general this line is very consistent in design and appearance. Miranda-Soligor (Soligor, aka Allied Impex, owned Miranda at the time) could impose design standards. All these lenses were bought-in as far as I know, obtained from third party makers like Sun and Tokina. In this case, as walter has suggested, it could be from Sun.

The lens is, physically, very typical of a third party auto lens of the time. Solid, sturdy, smooth operating and probably a good value for money even then. Whatever was wrong with Miranda had to do with their camera bodies more than their optics.

Performance is mixed. The bad is that open aperture performance at a distance is sub-par, with lots of aberrations especially in bright sun. Close-up though it is far better. All problems go away at f/4. There is also a notable lack of contrast generally. Close-up bokeh is pleasant and sometimes interesting, in my opinion.

DSC05024 by luisalegria, on Flickr

DSC05023 by luisalegria, on Flickr

DSC05003 by luisalegria, on Flickr

DSC04967 by luisalegria, on Flickr

DSC04950 by luisalegria, on Flickr

DSC04944 by luisalegria, on Flickr

Crop -

DSC04944crop by luisalegria, on Flickr

DSC04905 by luisalegria, on Flickr

The Bird -

DSC04972 by luisalegria, on Flickr

Crop -

DSC04972crop by luisalegria, on Flickr

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite good up close from your images Luis.
I have a few Miranda Soligors but strangely not a 135mm.
Thanks for sharing these
Tom

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Luis.

For what I'd shoot with a 135mm it would be perfect. It should work quite well as a portrait lens on full frame for head and shoulder shots, also.

Weather is starting to break finally. Actually saw the sun today. So I should be able to shoot some soon.

One of the things I find interesting about this lens is it is a 5/5 design, which Miranda used thru the first 3 versions. The 4th version the EC, was a 5/4 design.

Minolta didn't make a 135mm f2.8 5/5 version until
1979. Miranda did it a decade or so earlier.
The Miranda 105mm f2.8 was also a 5/5 design.
Minolta also used a 5/5 design in their 100mm f2.5 lens from 1976 on. Again Miranda did it first.