Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

old Pentax K mount lenses on Pentax DSLRs
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 4:48 pm    Post subject: old Pentax K mount lenses on Pentax DSLRs Reply with quote

My first posting ever on a forum so just seeing how it goes.
All my grandchildren still run up to me to see what the pictures are like after posing or getting caught. I remind them that it is film to go away to the man (I don't do my own any more). So, if I have a bit to spare from pension now I just retired I spose I might try a digi SLR - pentax of course (after 50 years of patronage) -so who can tell me which cameras will accept all my old K mounts please without any cutting or cropping ?

Many thanks - I hope I did this right.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any Pentax K mount DSLR will should do and the best one is the Pentax K-1 http://www.pentax.com/en/k-1/ .

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: old Pentax K mount lenses on Pentax DSLRs Reply with quote

imacardie wrote:
My first posting ever on a forum so just seeing how it goes.
All my grandchildren still run up to me to see what the pictures are like after posing or getting caught. I remind them that it is film to go away to the man (I don't do my own any more). So, if I have a bit to spare from pension now I just retired I spose I might try a digi SLR - pentax of course (after 50 years of patronage) -so who can tell me which cameras will accept all my old K mounts please without any cutting or cropping ?

Many thanks - I hope I did this right.

I'm not a Pentax expert but I believe their only full frame digital SLR is the K-1.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=Pentax+Full+Frame+Digital+Slr&gclid=Cj0KEQjw1v66BRCV-6rh6s-Biu8BEiQAelpui_OtgsFUZq6YOc_BM143-nnxnGf4-0pe4HjEChrjrPYaAnu68P8HAQ

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But, if the K-mount lenses don't have an A setting on the aperture ring (and the corresponding contacts on the mount), you will have to do manual stop-down light metering with the "green button" on the DSLR.

The K-1 is the only full-frame Pentax DSLR.

The stock focusing screens in the Pentax DSLRs are not really suitable for visual manual focus of a lens faster then f/2.8. There will be accuracy problems. You can use a magnifier, you can use focus assist, or you can use "live view" to focus such lenses accurately.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wrote some stuff on this here:

http://www.tremyfoel.co.uk/photography/pentax/KM-M42pentax.html

and pentax forums is a big resource.

http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/58-troubleshooting-beginner-help/110658-using-manual-lenses-m42-screwmount-m-k-pentax-dslrs-f.html

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 5:56 pm    Post subject: thank you both - that was quick Reply with quote

Thanks I had a look at the K1 - whoops, more than I earned in a month. I was thinking poss £300 ish. I am a cardie remember.
Any way you saved me the embarrassment of going into a local dealer and asking - I used to buy all our IT and digital kit.
So the thing seems to be that the old lenses go in no trouble and then I focus and frame but exposure is either shutter pref or aperture pref or maybe the digital can do auto when situation arises ?
Thanks, I'll probably saunter round PC World where I wont be bothered by sales staff and have a try.
I suspect I shall be influenced more by how it feels to hold and ease of selecting tiny buttons.
However just thought - are there any I should definitely avoid - or maybe definitely look out for secondhand ?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another option would be a mirrorless camera. Sony A7, particularly used, is nowhere near as expensive. Full frame, can take your K lenses with an inexpensive adapter, and easy to manually focus.

I use the upgraded A7II now but started with the A7 and all of my lenses are manual focus SLR lenses of several different mounts.

In your price range you would be looking at an APS-C Sony, NEX-6, NEX-7, A3000, A5000, or A6000. All very competent cameras.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mirrorless vs optical DSLR: an ongoing perennial discussion. I have both and can say that there are +'s and -'s to both.

Pentax? I would point you firmly to a s/h K5 (K5ii, K5iiS). I had a K-r previously and upgrading to the K5 was the best move for using my old lenses. There is a steady trickle onto the s/h market, I can suggest that a target price of £150-200 for a body is good to shoot for. More if lens(es) are included. All my cameras have been bought off ebay and I have had no problem.
As far as thee earlier models go, well the K5 is a big advance on most of those, reflecting the rapidly developing technology up to its launch date of 2010. But that's not to say you can't get great results from earlier models. Check out Luis Alegria's many threads on this forum, esp his tests/reviews of eg adaptamatic and adaptall and other vintage lenses, he's used early pentaxes and his pics speak for themselves.
if you want to check out a mirrorless, the 1st gen panasonic Lumix's the G1 and G2 are plentiful on the s/h market because they sold so well, and it's not that difficult to pick up a body for around fifty quid! Add a K mount adapter for a fiver from china and you are all set to see how you like the electronic viewfinder, appreciate the flexible lcd screen and the utility of the magnified focus assist. Just one thing: the "crop factor" means that it's pretty much all normal and telephoto field of view with the old lenses with these lumix's.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used a pentax K200D,very solid and heavy a little old now but it was a great camera.You could also look at the K20D next model up, which has a few more bells and whistles.If I was to upgrade my pentax camera i would look at the K-3 or the older K-5 range.
I have a Panasonic G1 and found it too small and fiddly after using the K200D,I have also tried a G5 which was an improvement but I did not like it. If you can, try out the Fuji XE-1 (mirrorless) very traditional in styling and has plenty of adapters available.

Also have a look at sites such as KEH.com (USA) for current prices.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my suggestion is to find a K-01, it's the mirrorless APS-C camera with K mount and u can use all your K mount lens on that, the only problem is u could not find a new one but a second-hand one with cheap price.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

newst wrote:
Another option would be a mirrorless camera. Sony A7, particularly used, is nowhere near as expensive. Full frame, can take your K lenses with an inexpensive adapter, and easy to manually focus.

I use the upgraded A7II now but started with the A7 and all of my lenses are manual focus SLR lenses of several different mounts.

In your price range you would be looking at an APS-C Sony, NEX-6, NEX-7, A3000, A5000, or A6000. All very competent cameras.

+1 First A7 version already might satisfy your needs and body can be obtained for around 1k EUR, PK adapter cost 10 EUR.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome!
Ancient Pentax fan here.
Ive been using K lenses (and screw mount, and, er, some others) on Pentax Dslrs for eight years now. K100D, K-x, K-30
It does take practice and trial-and error to get used to focusing on the stock screens, but I got the hang of it well enough. In the end though I replaced the K30 screen with a plain groundglass one, and it is much better.
The K-30 has a serious problem (mine has it) in that the auto-aperture system (for shutter-priority and program modes, and all the later AF lenses with no aperture rings) tends to break, internal circuit problem, and the repair isnt worth it, so dont buy that one. Pity because its a great set of features for very little.
Regular K and M series lenses work on M mode. Hit the green button to meter and auto-set the shutter.
A lenses or third party with that feature do pretty much all modes. Aperture priority, shutter priority, program, etc.
Its very very easy.
I agree about the K5, that looks like the best deal going.
Also think seriously about the crop sensor. This is a deal breaker for many. Not for me as Im narrow-minded.
The A7 is a great deal for a full frame digital and Ive been thinking of it. But with that you lose Auto-aperture - there is no stop down mechanism, so you will have to focus wide open and stop down for taking, or focus stopped down.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't do aperture priority with M lenses like with Ai on Nikon? :O)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gardener wrote:

Nope. See here http://www.mosphotos.com/PentaxLensesExplained.html .

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't say it makes much sense to me. So I guess A lenses only usable in advanced modes when set on A? Well, so much for my plan to round out my collection by getting a Pentax body.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gardener wrote:
Can't say it makes much sense to me. So I guess A lenses only usable in advanced modes when set on A? Well, so much for my plan to round out my collection by getting a Pentax body.

There is another more detailed table inside the link above
http://www.mosphotos.com/PentaxLensCompatibility.html

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gardener wrote:

You can indeed do aperture priority on any mountable lens, but stop down metering is needed for any lens without an A setting.

Given the OP's budget full frame is not going to be an option in any system. Any affordable camera will involve a cropped sensor, but you'll get used to the reduced FOV very quickly so that's not so much of an issue.
There's plenty of used Pentax DSLRs available for <£300 - some considerably cheaper. I'd agree the K5 or K5II offer the best bang for your buck, but even my old K100d is still capable of giving great results.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

monkjason wrote:
my suggestion is to find a K-01, it's the mirrorless APS-C camera with K mount and u can use all your K mount lens on that, the only problem is u could not find a new one but a second-hand one with cheap price.

I looked hard at the K-01 as upgrade for the lumix G1 but the lack of an EVF was deal breaker for me. Got a NX20 for less than typical K01 price instead.

An APSC mirrorless alternative to a G1 or G2 could be the earlier samsungs: NX5 or NX10. I've just noticed a couple of examples of the NX5's go on ebay for £50 and £70. These are less favoured than eg Sony Nex's (the nex's probably are the better cameras but we are talking incremental differences, the samsungs are well specified) and that's really reflected in the s/h prices.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DConvert wrote:
You can indeed do aperture priority on any mountable lens, but stop down metering is needed for any lens without an A setting.

Lack of open aperture metering kind of beats the purpose of aperture priority, no?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gardener wrote:

Lack of open aperture metering kind of beats the purpose of aperture priority, no?

Not at all! It might be a slightly slower process but not by much.
FWIW if you omit the stop down stage exposures are generally within a stop of ideal, and may be easily corrected in post.
It will also be constant at each aperture so an EC setting can be used if you're not switching apertures.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might as well shoot in manual, meter by EV bar and bracket everything.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gardener wrote:
You might as well shoot in manual, meter by EV bar and bracket everything.

That's possible but significantly slower, even without the bracketing.
Stop down metering is just a single button press.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the K-01 but after buying the Fuji XE-1, it sits on the shelf. I think looking at the K-5 range would be the better option as the K-01 takes a little bit of getting used to...handling wise.