Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

My street photos: June 2015 to May 2016
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 4:33 pm    Post subject: My street photos: June 2015 to May 2016 Reply with quote

It has been a year I have not post any new photos in this section. One of the main reason is I stopped taking street from early July to late November as I can't find new inspiration on the street. I have sold the Olympus EM5 with 17mm lens and get a Sigma 19mm to use on my NEX-5N. Most of the following photos are taken with the new combo with some taken with other manual focus lens.

Here are some photos I have posted to Flickr from June 2015 to May 2016 in chronological order. For the rest of the photos, please visit my Flickr album https://flic.kr/s/aHsk8aA3Pb . I will upload new photos when I have time to take new ones.

In a Sunny Afternoon by Calvin Lee, on Flickr

Race Day #4 by Calvin Lee, on Flickr

The Way to Glory by Calvin Lee, on Flickr

Working at night by Calvin Lee, on Flickr

Kissing you by Calvin Lee, on Flickr

The way back home by Calvin Lee, on Flickr

On the way back home by Calvin Lee, on Flickr

Passing by by Calvin Lee, on Flickr

Old store by Calvin Lee, on Flickr

Thanks again for all the members who have supported me in this forum and Flickr! Thank You Dog

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Nice! Thank you for sharing these.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great, Calvin - I like them all, but especially 2, 3 & 8.
Are these all taken in HK?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1 Like 1 great work !!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all! Thank you!

@l9magen
Yes. All taken in Hong Kong. You can even know the location if you view the photos in Flickr.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, excellent work. I think #8 is the strongest one. I follow you on flick but I think I missed most of those if not all of them. So much stuff on flickr, if you don't follow religiously, it passes you by. Thanks for posting here as well.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I enjoyed these. Something different from the usual dregs labelled "street photography".

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite beautiful compositions, especially the first three. Nice to see somebody making meaningful pictures of people.
a
Most "street photography" is just meaningless, accountant like recording of people walking in streets, mechanical acts with no poetic attitude and research behind it.

Yours are instead significant shots with a life of their own.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks miran, Teemō and bghomofaber. I am very happy you like my photos.

@miran
I agrees there are too much stuff on Flickr but we have too little time to see even what have filtered them.

@Teemō and bghomofaber
There are many genre in street photography. Different people takes different kind of photos. For myself, I take whatever attracts me. Besides, I think the connection between the individuals, as well as the connection between the people and the environment. are two of the most important element on most of my photos. I hope the readers can see the connection too.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see the connection in your photos, and you have an eye for great captures. I think many street photographers lack the inspiration and attraction to capture and convey the people in the photos and their relation to the immediate environment and context, so they make clichs, often resulting in arguments or criticism.

Would you credit part of your success as a street photographer to time/place and coincidence (luck) in addition to other deliberate factors? I like the titles you use also - atypical. Like 1 small

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

Thank you Calvin83! Thank you so much!

I had been wondering and wondering what had happened; why you'd stopped posting your fabulous street photographs. Please, next time inspiration is flown, you can change your pathway! Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@visualopsins
Thank you, too.

Inspiration may or may not come when one change a pathway. Sometimes, you will get a attracted by other things when you change to another pathway. Wink

@Teemō
I am happy you see the connections in my photos.

For most kind of photography, it is very important to know and understand the subjects of the photo. For street photography, the subjects are people and streets. If you treat street as a stage, the person at the street will become the actor(or actress). Some actors can be commonly found at certain stage while they rarely or never appear on the other stages. Time is another important factor which change the stage, determining what actors will appear and affecting their behaviors. Certain scenario will appear from time to time, sooner or later when the conditions are meet. The photographer need to be know what are likely to happen and prepared to pull the trigger at the right moment.

About the titles:
Most of the time I want a simple title which summaries the contents/facts on the photo. I don't like to put any emotion word in the title and I want to keep the title as neutral as possible to keep the photo open to interpretation. Depend on the content of the photo, I might give the photo an atypical title just like the one below.

Where is my apple? by Calvin Lee, on Flickr

This photo above is taken in front of an apple store before 20:00. Normally, the store opens from 10:00 to 22:00. Can you guess why I give such title to the above photo?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:

@Teemō
I am happy you see the connections in my photos.

For most kind of photography, it is very important to know and understand the subjects of the photo. For street photography, the subjects are people and streets. If you treat street as a stage, the person at the street will become the actor(or actress). Some actors can be commonly found at certain stage while they rarely or never appear on the other stages. Time is another important factor which change the stage, determining what actors will appear and affecting their behaviors. Certain scenario will appear from time to time, sooner or later when the conditions are meet. The photographer need to be know what are likely to happen and prepared to pull the trigger at the right moment.

That is an interesting way to think about it. It's a bit amusing the way the world goes on around an observer - only when one stops to observe... a bit of a paradox really. Wink

calvin83 wrote:

About the titles:
Most of the time I want a simple title which summaries the contents/facts on the photo. I don't like to put any emotion word in the title and I want to keep the title as neutral as possible to keep the photo open to interpretation. Depend on the content of the photo, I might give the photo an atypical title just like the one below.

It's a good way to do it. Too often do photographers try to set the viewer's emotions. If you were a writer, the same technique is best, as it allows the reader to position themselves. And... I'm a sucker for simple humour.

calvin83 wrote:

This photo above is taken in front of an apple store before 20:00. Normally, the store opens from 10:00 to 22:00. Can you guess why I give such title to the above photo?

Certainly. Laughing

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent shots of my native country Calvin!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the B+W pictures. You master the light and shadows. Smile

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@stingOM
Thanks! There is lots of change in the old areas in recent years. It will be harder and harder to find good places in the future.

@mfkid
Good to know you like these B+W photos. Thank you!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy Cat

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fabulous !

Great street work !

TFS

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you! Thank You Dog Friends

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats Whoo Turtle Friends

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
... About the titles:

Not only is store empty, she on phone looks to be holding imaginary real red apple. Also recall the story about Adam & Eve and the most famous Apple; who is she calling? Wink

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's top class street photography, the essence of the city and its people leaps out of the images, I want to be there. And that's what street photography should do. I wish I could do it, I love to view it but just can't do it, I can't photograph people at all.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@visualopsins
You have found something I don't notice. Like 1 small Like 1 small Like 1 small

@Lloydy
Thanks for your support! I think my photos may not be in top class but I will keep improving my skills and take photos in my own way.