Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Infrared Converted cameras and MF lenses
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 11:03 am    Post subject: Infrared Converted cameras and MF lenses Reply with quote

Just jumped in the ocean of infrared with a nex7 converted 715nm.
Tamron 28mm f2.8 not a winner here.
Canon 24mm f2.8 hmmmmm... better but...
Samyang 14mm f2.8............. BoooooYarrrrrr!
Second shot and gots me craving the daytime!!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome! Infrared can be such fun, not so much trying to find lenses that work with IR though!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have the filter in front of the sensor instead of in front of the lens?
(I guess that, because it's hard to use a filter on lenses like Samyang 14mm)

I have a full range modified NEX-5N. Using an UV/IR-Cut filter you can use it like a normal camera

UV/IR-Cut filter, Rodenstock Trinar 75/4.5 enlarger lens on bellows
DSC00016

+Schott UG1 + UV led torch
Silver Orchid UV

It also drastically improves low light performance so I used it a lot filterless for festival/party photography. A candle becomes a torch light etc.. Depending on light source, it doesn't even look very unnatural

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olympus Zuiko 3.5.28 and 2.8/35 both work well for IR as does the plain old CZJ Tessar 2.8/50.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most lenses work reasonably well for infra red, under the right conditions.
Hot spots are the only real problem, and they depend heavily on lighting & aperture.

With adapted lenses it's often possible to fit the filter in the adapter, but it can affect the focus. (I'm still experimenting)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ve been thinking of modifying my Nikon D50 to IR for some time as is mostly "collecting dust", but the cost is a bit high and no easy DIY solutions.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tomasg wrote:
I ve been thinking of modifying my Nikon D50 to IR for some time as is mostly "collecting dust", but the cost is a bit high and no easy DIY solutions.

Worth a go
http://www.lifepixel.com/tutorials/infrared-diy-tutorials/nikon-d50

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't used infrared since digital came around but most of my MF Nikon lenses have a small red dot on the focus scale. You would focus through the viewfinder then move the focus point to the red dot for infrared. Because of this and the fact that the focus point needs to be manually readjusted, I would think that the MF lenses would be the best choice.
Pete

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No need to convert a D50, all the Nikon 6mp DSLRs work fine for IR unmodified, you just have to use a tripod and a long exposure of a few seconds.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy Dog

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete wrote:
Haven't used infrared since digital came around but most of my MF Nikon lenses have a small red dot on the focus scale. You would focus through the viewfinder then move the focus point to the red dot for infrared. Because of this and the fact that the focus point needs to be manually readjusted, I would think that the MF lenses would be the best choice.
Pete

All my native AF lenses focus fine on my 'full spectrum' converted camera, no adjustment required - even with severe IR filters fitted. It's one of the benefits of mirrorless for IR another is being able see to frame/focus IR with no visible light getting through the lens, as the EVF shows what the sensor sees whatever wavelength.

The same is true with non-converted mirrorless models but nailing the focusing could be a problem (the noise in the viewfinder goes through the roof) - most subjects are probably too dark for AF if the cameras not modified. Older lenses with an IR mark certainly do help considerably if the cameras not converted. I did get reasonable results with a kit zoom (no IR mark) when I first tried IR with a standard G1 & more recently with the G5 when I wanted a long exposure.:
Distant London EyeR by Mike Kanssen, on Flickr

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

imagedit wrote:
tomasg wrote:

Worth a go

Yes i know that service and was thinking of giving it a try, but so far i was put off by the warnings. Re-thinking everything, it s probably doable otherwise why would they show the tutorial a all?

Tomas

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
No need to convert a D50, all the Nikon 6mp DSLRs work fine for IR unmodified, you just have to use a tripod and a long exposure of a few seconds.

Yes Ian i know that, it s just that carriying a tripod around it s not my style of photography.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tomasg wrote:

Yes Ian i know that, it s just that carriying a tripod around it s not my style of photography.

I very rarely carry one either, but sometimes a table top tripod, or just a folded jacket can work wonders Smile

I have to admit that having a converted camera does make IR a lot more appealing. I brought a pre-converted camera, which worked out cheaper than modifying my backup DSLR

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tomasg wrote:
imagedit wrote:
tomasg wrote:

Worth a go

Yes i know that service and was thinking of giving it a try, but so far i was put off by the warnings. Re-thinking everything, it s probably doable otherwise why would they show the tutorial a all?

Tomas

I bought a Panasonic gf1 for cheap (£50) so i could try their tutorial, worked out and was easy to follow.
I might eventually get a sony nex to have another go.
I do like not having a tripod, just point, take the shot and go.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a converted Canon G3 that has "only" a 4 MPix sensor but which is good enough for my IR shots.

IR needs sun and clouds to really impress - an leaves or other green plants. Wink

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

imagedit wrote:
tomasg wrote:
imagedit wrote:
tomasg wrote:

Worth a go

Tomas

I bought a Panasonic gf1 for cheap (�50) so i could try their tutorial, worked out and was easy to follow.
I might eventually get a sony nex to have another go.
I do like not having a tripod, just point, take the shot and go.

I've converted a few mirrorless cameras to IR. I think I will convert more!!! Wink
One thing about NEX (NEX-3, NEX-5)... Unlike Panasonic where it's easy to remove the IR blocking filter, it's glued in those NEX, so I wasn't game to try to crack the glue. I think micro 4/3 or the Canon M are better for conversion.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dnas wrote:
I've converted a few mirrorless cameras to IR. I think I will convert more!!! Wink
One thing about NEX (NEX-3, NEX-5)... Unlike Panasonic where it's easy to remove the IR blocking filter, it's glued in those NEX, so I wasn't game to try to crack the glue. I think micro 4/3 or the Canon M are better for conversion.

Good to know Like 1 small

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
IR needs sun and clouds to really impress - an leaves or other green plants. Wink

Yes, I have noticed that in a number of very nice IR shots I have seen.

LucisPictor wrote:

I especially like that second one, Carsten -- very impressive contrasts !!! Smile

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 6:01 am    Post subject: Re: Infrared Converted cameras and MF lenses Reply with quote

[quote="BeardsAreBest"[/quote]

Wow !!! That image really seems to have a magical 3-D effect. (It must have a lot of pixie dust.) ( Smile )

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

White christmas from the samyang

My favourite planet from sigma 24mm superwide II

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you decide you wanted the ability to have false colour images before you had the camera converted? I keep pondering a conversion but I can't decide if I will end up just sticking to mono, and therefore getting the 830nm conversion...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wanted to do both false color and black&white. Smile

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:

add to that body of water (lake,river) and it takes it up a notch

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice works guys!! Like 1 small Like 1 small Like 1 small