Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Still interessed?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 10:40 pm    Post subject: Still interessed? Reply with quote

How many of us are really still interessed in shooting film these days ?
I just sent five rolls of 35mm to lab and waiting to shoot some others.But they are exposed in a year .
I am trying to keep on in job my rf and reflexes also...The phone camera doesn't help much in this...
Am I one of the last ?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're not the last - I shot 4 rolls in 5 days, and just spent the last few evenings catching up on the undeveloped rolls from this winter (all 120 rolls).

In some respects I feel digital is so much easier - but only in that you click, and lo, the image is there. That ease leads to many shots being taken (well, more than film), but then the time saved in the shooting is lost in deleting the duds and PP. Whereas with film, I shoot far fewer shots but spend the time to shoot the ones I really want.

So it kind of sorts itself out - both get the same number of keepers in the end, for the same approximate time. Cost is definitely with the digital, but somehow, satisfaction with a film keeper seems higher.

Stick with it.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got me 2 new cameras, 9 rolls of color film and a C41 processing kit.

If I just had the time/opportunity to shoot more and develop too.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I shoot film too, but I'm sooooo slow. I just recently developed a roll I loaded almost exactly one year ago. And still haven't scanned it. Razz

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still using film and haven't spent a penny on a digi camera.....I use an old digi compact given to me which is handy for quick shots for ebay or posting shots of my gear online.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excalibur wrote:
Still using film and haven't spent a penny on a digi camera.....I use an old digi compact given to me which is handy for quick shots for ebay or posting shots of my gear online.

Like 1 Friends

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I shoot far less than I used to, for lack of time, but when I do, it is almost exclusively film. I prefer the old way of taking pictures for no other reason that it's what I learned to do decades ago and it comes naturally. I've had a couple of digital cams (Olympus E-510 and Sony R1) and they can be handy, but I just don't feel comfortable with them. Too many dials, too many options, menus, sub-menus, bells, whistles - just too much technology for my taste. It just takes forever. As Bob Seger used to sing, digital "just ain't got the same soul, I like that ole' time rock and roll". Smile

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find that I use film for my more serious photography these days. Digital is more utilitarian -- the quick grab shot needed to post or send on the net somewhere. Basic documentation of one thing or another. But when it comes to creative photography, I always pack at least one film camera and a variety of film with me. Same as I always have. I'm just too old to change, and honestly I don't feel like changing anyway. Although I also always pack a digital as well. Just to be sure of comprehensive coverage.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For some 15 years i didn't shoot a single roll, picked up film again about 4 years ago now and i think i shoot about 15-20 rolls a year, mostly 35mm and some 120.
Wish i could do more, but there's simply not enough time to do everything i want. Bought a Durst M800 enlarger a year ago, but it's still unused. After we've moved to our new house this summer i really want to build a dark room and make some prints! Should make a nice winter project!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just shot a 35mm rol Yesterday! It was expired but i'm hopeful Laugh 1

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

!Karen wrote:
I just shot a 35mm rol Yesterday! It was expired but i'm hopeful Laugh 1

If expired in say 2000 and not stored on top of a radiator you might get a slight colour cast, pro film that had to be used fresh can be more of a problem. Some guys add a stop for every decade, so add a stop anyway for expired film as it won't mind.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excalibur wrote:
...........add a stop for every decade........

Indeed, i almost exclusively shoot expired film. Colorfilm is worse than b/w, i've even shot b/w films from the sixties without a problem. So for colorfilms always overexpose, 10 years expired ISO 200 film is best shot at ISO 100.
The really fast films get bad sooner, like 800ISO or so, too much grain and washed out colors, i try to avoid those.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It expired in 2013 so I don't worry. Good tip though that I might need in the future. I recently acquired a batch of longer expired films.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was out shooting with film today.
I enjoy it partly because I like using old cameras.
Although some of the old cameras haven't been so fun to use.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm shooting lots of film these days.
Also for the sake of using older cameras.
I'm doing about 2 rolls/week.
I have a great deal of expired Fuji Color 200, expired Kodak T-Max 400, Arista Edu 100 B&W, that sort of thing.
A years worth of film at least.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I'm shooting film mostly, even higher number of rolls since I'm doing scanning by myself. However after buying Fuji X-E1 with Lens Turbo II I'm finding myself taking Fuji almost as often as my film cameras nowadays.
There's only one problem with shooting film these days: lack of skilled repair shops in the area. My beloved Olympus OM-4 got stuck the other day and when I phoned repair shop, that previously helped me with my OM-2SP, they said that they could take a look at my camera but not sooner than in september. And it's in the town 400km away, since I cannot find anything closer to my home.

Nevertheless I have my OM-2SP running, so I keep shooting film. Maybe I'm a bit paranoid about digital data, because even though I'm doing backups of my photos, I've decided to shoot film as well when my daughter was born (she's one month old now Smile ). This is simply because I still have tons of negatives from when I was born (and it was almost 30 years ago) and they're all in great shape when stored properly.

As for quantity thread started by Teo I would say I'm shooting somewhere between 2-10 rolls monthly. It really depends if something interesting is happening in my life or if I have any spare time to simply pack my camera and go for a few hours to shoot whatever I want.

A few weeks ago I've started a bit of a project for myself. I took my Pentax ME Super, put Pentax-M 28mm/3.5 on it, load the film and place it in glove box in my car. I'm shooting with only one lens and I'm shooting whatever I want.
From what I've learn so far (after 1 roll - second roll is running) is that 28mm is fantastic focal length that I didn't use enough and that there's always opportunity for a photo - every single day, no matter if it's sunny or raining or just simply grey and dull, there's always something worth to be shoot. (The other thing I've learn is that storing film camera in glove box in the summer days 25-35 C has no impact on either film itself or camera).
I'm thinking of putting a few photos from that roll in the Colour Film Gallery, but I need some time to do so Wink.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing that I always do is that if there is a wedding or some other family event I always shoot film. Storing memories of such occasions solely on your computer is just strange.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I almost exclusively shoot film nowadays. I find it makes me much happier and I prefer the result in many cases.
Digital has its moments but the look, and lattitude of photochemical really clicks with me. When I see blown highlights in digital I just wince.

I shoot 135 and 120, slide and colour reversal and black and white.
Here is my totally un-curated flickr stream

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: Still interessed? Reply with quote

Teo wrote:
How many of us are really still interessed in shooting film these days ?
Am I one of the last ?

..What? Is there still some who use digital cameras? Laughing Laughing Laughing
After 2012 I've done just few commercial works with digital cameras. Everything else for film (medium format with TLR's and 35mm with various cameras). Mostly b&w which I develop at home. Overall about 150 rolls/year. Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Still interessed? Reply with quote

hemmo wrote:
Overall about 150 rolls/year. Very Happy

next stop sheet film Cool

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Still interessed? Reply with quote

kansalliskalaCafe wrote:
hemmo wrote:
Overall about 150 rolls/year. Very Happy

next stop sheet film Cool

I actually own a Graflex camera from the 1950's that uses sheet film. Cannot claim, though, ever to have used it to take a photograph. Sad

But it is a pretty cool camera. Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a young man I won't call myself "still" interested. I do have a fairly nice DSLR and enjoy using it, I recently started doing films, which turned out to be a lot more fun!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Still interessed? Reply with quote

guardian wrote:

I actually own a Graflex camera from the 1950's that uses sheet film. Cannot claim, though, ever to have used it to take a photograph. Sad

But it is a pretty cool camera. Very Happy

You probably know that you can get roll film backs for your Graflex, right? the 2-1/4 x 3-1/4 (6x9) backs are the most common.

I'd like to own a Graflex one of these days, or maybe something really cool like a Linhof, mostly because I like the idea of having a 4x5 camera that I can also use a roll-flim back with.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I now have 3 ASP-C digital cameras and a new K1 full frame Pentax camera with a medium large group of lens for them. I find the ease of use and low cost (like free film really) of digital cameras has totally wiped out any desire I had for film. I have a Pentax 645, a Kodak Master View 4x5 and several 35mm film cameras I just need to get rid of as I do not nor will I in the future use them. When I retired I thought I'd take up film as I now have plenty of time to devote to it, but no I just am not enthused to do that. Since I no longer have somewhere close to get these developed and mailing is such a hassle and no I never wanted to develop them myself, I am out of film for good. Oh yeah...Got a film scanner to find a new home too.
You guys have fun with it but I'm out. Digital especially with the Pentax K1 is just too easy and right up my alley. I finished my working life working 7 days a week 10 to 12 hour days for 15 years...I'm taking it easy from now on and film is not the easy path for me.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love film and shoot roll film,sheet film, glass plates, tin type. Enjoy getting out an old drop plate camera that makes more noise than a gum ball machine and taking some shots. You get to meet some pretty cool folks when you get out the film gear.