Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

An old telephoto from the early 1960s
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 12:58 pm    Post subject: An old telephoto from the early 1960s Reply with quote

I bought this lens for sometime but I never find a chance to test it outdoor until today. This is a lens made in the early 1960s with focal length of 80mm to 100mm and aperture of F2.8 to F3.5(inclusive).

I will reveal the name of this lens sometime in the future when I get some better photos taken with it using a FF camera. Before that, I would like to hear the opinions from the forum members.

The following photos are taken with NEX 5N. Most photos are taken at wide-open to one stopping down one F-stop. The photos are processed similarly to the other photos I posted in this section with minimal sharpen is applied.

Click for full resolution photos.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wouldn't it be a 90/2.8 Schacht Travenar, by chance?

Cheers!

Abbazz

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. I own a copy of 90/2.8 Schacht Travenar in LTM mount but it is not functional due to heavy haze in the rear element. However, I do agrees with you. This lens seems perform similarly to the Travenar in certain aspects. Like 1 small

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
No. I own a copy of 90/2.8 Schacht Travenar in LTM mount but it is not functional due to heavy haze in the rear element. However, I do agrees with you. This lens seems perform similarly to the Travenar in certain aspects. Like 1 small

Whatever it is, it has some wonderful imaging qualities (and I really love the Travenar).

Cheers!

Abbazz

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice turtles.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice lens! Pleasing qualities in all the images. Especially liked #2, the blurred girl in the background doing a face palm is a nice touch.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canon 100mm 3.5 LTM?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the comments and I am happy to hear the you enjoy my photos.

@jamaeolus
No. Not even close.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get another lens from the same system today(thanks to the help of my friend). Here is a photo showing a small part of my new lens.

Anyone familiar with these old chrome lenses? Wink

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

color telinar lens?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agfa Color Telinar, for the Ambiflex, very likely, the design on the focus indicator is distinctive, I think you've got it.

Quite uncommon eh? I almost got an Ambiflex once.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll agree with Luis, it's not often he's wrong Wink

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm agreeing with papasito - does he get a prize ?
Its quite an obscure thing, he deserves one.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't say you guys are wrong but I could not say you guys are exactly right either. The lens used is a Agfa Color Telinear 90/3.4 made for Ambiflex. Wink

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

papasito wrote:
color telinar lens?

Congrats to have hit it!!

So Calvin, you have a working adapter for it ??

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys, strange this thread should pop up today, last bank holiday I was given an old Agfa camera and a couple of lenses. Unfortunately they are a mismatch, the camera is a Sillette with a fixed lens but I got the 35mm f4 Color-Ambion and the 50mm f2,8 Color-Solinor. Hadn't a clue what to do with them at first.
On Tuesday I had the bright ideas of using the mount on the lens keeper to fashion a mount of some description and just last night finished it. I'm not expecting anything astounding, nor any sort of focus anywhere near infinity but at least I should be able to give macro a go. Will try and get a few pictures loaded over weekend when I test it.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
papasito wrote:
color telinar lens?

Congrats to have hit it!!

So Calvin, you have a working adapter for it ??

Nope. My copy has already converted to Exakta mount.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr G wrote:
Hi guys, strange this thread should pop up today, last bank holiday I was given an old Agfa camera and a couple of lenses. Unfortunately they are a mismatch, the camera is a Sillette with a fixed lens but I got the 35mm f4 Color-Ambion and the 50mm f2,8 Color-Solinor. Hadn't a clue what to do with them at first.
On Tuesday I had the bright ideas of using the mount on the lens keeper to fashion a mount of some description and just last night finished it. I'm not expecting anything astounding, nor any sort of focus anywhere near infinity but at least I should be able to give macro a go. Will try and get a few pictures loaded over weekend when I test it.

They are pretty decent lenses of its time. Look forward for your result. Wink

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a couple of snaps from my phone of the lenses, Just had a look on the bay at prices and was surprised.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks they are in pretty good condition. The Color-Solinor is pretty cheap while the Color-Ambion is a bit more expensive. If you see one listing for more than $100, it is probably sold by kevin.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
Looks they are in pretty good condition. The Color-Solinor is pretty cheap while the Color-Ambion is a bit more expensive. If you see one listing for more than $100, it is probably sold by kevin.

If you see any lens described as "Minty" and priced at double the usual mint price, and you need a shower after the transaction, prob Kevin.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For photos of the lens and more about these Agfa lenses http://forum.mflenses.com/viewtopic,p,1476596.html .

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys, some more pics of makeshift mount,
The lenskeeper

The components

On camera, 50mm

35mm

Hopefully get out and test over the weekend, I might even put of extension behind. Not expecting any macro miracles but fun to play around with and not compromise the lens.