Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Auto-Takumar 55mm f/2.2
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 6:44 pm    Post subject: Auto-Takumar 55mm f/2.2 Reply with quote

I saw some photos of an Auto-Takumar 55mm f/2.2 (S/N: 5xxxxx) which I can buy from a local antiques shop. The lens seems to be in a bad shape externally but optics look clean. Reviews seem to indicate that this is a nice lens to own but I was thinking if someone has compared it with a similar lens such as Helios-44M-4?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not had the opportunity but it gets good reviews by the folks at Pentax forums. The photos on their site look very "helios like".

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the Auto Takumar 2/55 which optically is the same, the colors it produced, it''s small size and it has impressive sharpness across the frame. I have tried to make people aware of it's qualities, only few have listened, those who have are grateful Wink
You may want to check out how it fared in a sharpness shootout of abt. 30 normal lenses that I had done, however it was not done on a 'FF' but 'APS-C' cam, Sony NEX5n: https://www.flickr.com/photos/kuuan/collections/72157632455712332/

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am one of those who listened to Kuuan - love these lenses.

Here's a little more info on the early Pentax M42, pre-set normals:

At the time of its manufacture, 1957/58, the 55 f/2.2 was the only 5 element Gaussian design normal in the stable of Pentax pre-set lenses. The 58 f/2.4 was a 5 element/ 3 group Heliar design. The 58 f/2 (my favorite - purchased happily from Kuuan - Thank you!) is a 6/4 Sonnar type. Imagine three normal lenses, with three different formulas marketed simultaneously! The 55 f/2 from this post turned out to be "the winner", being the progenitor of all the Pentax standard 6/5 Normals to be produced for over 40 years.

Enjoy the wonderful lens and check out more info here: http://www.klassik-cameras.de/Pentax_Takumar_Collection.html

All the best,

Paul

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I can blame Kuuan as well,they are great lenses. I have the 2.2/55 and love it for its compact size as well as picture taking.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sold this 2.2/55...the SMC 1.4/50 more than fills my needs. Wink It was real fun to play with. Small lens...oh, did anybody mention the TEN BLADE DIAPHRAGM...oops caps lock got stuck. No it did not. Laughing

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kuuan wrote:
I love the Auto Takumar 2/55 which optically is the same, the colors it produced, it''s small size and it has impressive sharpness across the frame. I have tried to make people aware of it's qualities, only few have listened, those who have are grateful Wink
You may want to check out how it fared in a sharpness shootout of abt. 30 normal lenses that I had done, however it was not done on a 'FF' but 'APS-C' cam, Sony NEX5n: https://www.flickr.com/photos/kuuan/collections/72157632455712332/

Is the 2/55 the same? I thought the 2/55 was the same as the 1.8/55 - and the 2.2/55 was an older design.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pdccameras wrote:
I am one of those who listened to Kuuan - love these lenses.

Here's a little more info on the early Pentax M42, pre-set normals:

At the time of its manufacture, 1957/58, the 55 f/2.2 was the only 5 element Gaussian design normal in the stable of Pentax pre-set lenses. The 58 f/2.4 was a 5 element/ 3 group Heliar design. The 58 f/2 (my favorite - purchased happily from Kuuan - Thank you!) is a 6/4 Sonnar type. Imagine three normal lenses, with three different formulas marketed simultaneously! The 55 f/2 from this post turned out to be "the winner", being the progenitor of all the Pentax standard 6/5 Normals to be produced for over 40 years.

Enjoy the wonderful lens and check out more info here: http://www.klassik-cameras.de/Pentax_Takumar_Collection.html

All the best,

Paul

oh, so glad that you also love the early Takumars, specially since some of them had been provided by me, and I even might have played a role in you becoming aware of them. I consider Pentax clearly being the leader in developing SLRS and lenses for it during this time in the 50s when SLRs took over the lead, specially through developing that variety of normal lenses then, as if they were to test which design would be the most appropiate. The Double Gauss, or Ultron, Planar of the 55mm soon became the standard not only for every Pentax nomral lens thereafter but for any SLR normal lens.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mo wrote:
Yes, I can blame Kuuan as well,they are great lenses. I have the 2.2/55 and love it for its compact size as well as picture taking.

haha, good to know, Mo enjoy!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mos6502 wrote:
kuuan wrote:

Is the 2/55 the same? I thought the 2/55 was the same as the 1.8/55 - and the 2.2/55 was an older design.

as far as I know, resp. e.g at the site Paul had supplied the link for ( http://www.klassik-cameras.de/Pentax_Takumar_Collection.html ) all 55mm by Pentax have the same optical formula.