Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Schneider Kreuznach Curtagon 1:2.8/35 Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 3:30 pm    Post subject: Schneider Kreuznach Curtagon 1:2.8/35 Questions Reply with quote

Anyone have this specific m42 model (photos below)? I found some shots from the model that says Edixa on the front and the sharpness and bokeh are amazing! That's the same lens? http://forum.mflenses.com/schneider-kreuznach-curtagon-35-2-8-and-sony-a7r-t74719.html

Thank you very much!

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not specifically familiar with the Curtagon but Schenider is a very highly regarded German manufacturer. Yours would appear to be a slightly earlier version. Optics are likely to be the same. Yours may not have as good of coatings, though. Which translates to slightly reduce performance as regards contrast and flare resistance. Likely to be every bit as sharp though. Edixa was a camera manufacturer and Schneider often put the camera make or model on the bezel. (eg Retina-Curtar would fit the Kodak Retina camera) Though Edixa mostly used the M42 mount. I have numerous Schneider lenses an I really like them.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an early one in exakta mount, and it is a decent lens. It is ok wide open but improves stopped down. Only flaw is that it is very prone to flare. There are several optical variations of this lens. The first version had five elements in five groups. The second version has six elements. For some reason (probably price) the Edixa branded versions were only made in the five element form. There was a third version made just for the Alpa, which is different optically from the others.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamaeolus wrote:
I am not specifically familiar with the Curtagon but Schenider is a very highly regarded German manufacturer. Yours would appear to be a slightly earlier version. Optics are likely to be the same. Yours may not have as good of coatings, though. Which translates to slightly reduce performance as regards contrast and flare resistance. Likely to be every bit as sharp though. Edixa was a camera manufacturer and Schneider often put the camera make or model on the bezel. (eg Retina-Curtar would fit the Kodak Retina camera) Though Edixa mostly used the M42 mount. I have numerous Schneider lenses an I really like them.

Thanks!

Mos6502 wrote:
I have an early one in exakta mount, and it is a decent lens. It is ok wide open but improves stopped down. Only flaw is that it is very prone to flare. There are several optical variations of this lens. The first version had five elements in five groups. The second version has six elements. For some reason (probably price) the Edixa branded versions were only made in the five element form. There was a third version made just for the Alpa, which is different optically from the others.

From the samples that i found, i think the lens i want to buy is an exakta modified to m42... Don't you?

The exakta have the same bokeh character and sharpness than the Edixa from the link? Thank you very much!

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vr777 wrote:

From the samples that i found, i think the lens i want to buy is an exakta modified to m42... Don't you?

The exakta have the same bokeh character and sharpness than the Edixa from the link? Thank you very much!

No, it's a normal M42 lens, it's just a variation that was mean to be coupled to an external light meter. It's an early make, so it would be the first five element version.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mos6502 wrote:
vr777 wrote:

No, it's a normal M42 lens, it's just a variation that was mean to be coupled to an external light meter. It's an early make, so it would be the first five element version.

Thank you for the information! Your exakta mount have this bokeh? http://forum.mflenses.com/userpix/20164/9313__DSC1203_1.jpg

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exakta mount, and m42 were generally concurrent so Schneider would (likely) have made each version in both mounts, also some alpa, some retina and so on. I was unaware that the curtagon had undergone so many optical changes during those years. Interesting. I will have to see if I can find one for a reasonable price to play with a bit.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've not used it wide open very much. Here's a test shot from when I got it though:

And here's some diagrams of the different versions (by way of the spiral-mount blog: https://spiral-m42.blogspot.jp/2015/09/schneider-kreuznach-curatgon-35mm-f28.html):

I noticed when looking over old catalogs (late 1960s) that the edixa-curtagon was listed as having five elements, but the exakta version had six. The six element version was also available in m42, but apparently not under the edixa branding. The edixa version also has a slightly different barrel from the other late versions.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had one in M42 Electric mount for Praktica some time ago, i wasn't too impressed by it in comparison to my Minolta and Konica lenses so i sold it again. At that point it seemed quite a rare lens.

Schneider Curtagon 2.8/35 by René Maly, on Flickr

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mos6502 wrote:
I've not used it wide open very much. Here's a test shot from when I got it though:

I noticed when looking over old catalogs (late 1960s) that the edixa-curtagon was listed as having five elements, but the exakta version had six. The six element version was also available in m42, but apparently not under the edixa branding. The edixa version also has a slightly different barrel from the other late versions.

Your sample or this model looks very soft in all photos... Or it was the downsizing? Thank you!

jamaeolus wrote:
Exakta mount, and m42 were generally concurrent so Schneider would (likely) have made each version in both mounts, also some alpa, some retina and so on. I was unaware that the curtagon had undergone so many optical changes during those years. Interesting. I will have to see if I can find one for a reasonable price to play with a bit.

I didn't found more information than the post below from mos6502 about the differences. This lens looks like a very interesting buy!

TrueLoveOne wrote:
I had one in M42 Electric mount for Praktica some time ago, i wasn't too impressed by it in comparison to my Minolta and Konica lenses so i sold it again. At that point it seemed quite a rare lens.

What about the bokeh and sharpness? Thank you!

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vr777 wrote:

TrueLoveOne wrote:

What about the bokeh and sharpness? Thank you!

Like i said before: i wasn't impressed, but then again: i might just be biased a little towards Minolta and Konica..... Wink

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 8:30 pm    Post subject: meter? Reply with quote

The pictures do not convince me that this is a lightmeter lens. I have the 28mm LM version, and that has much more pronounced rails for the meter. Another picture angle from the top of the lens mightb convince me.

p.

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's definitely a light meter version. The other ones never had the big knob on the side.

As for the OP: if you're looking for a lens that is super sharp wide open, this is not it. It's pretty sharp stopped down, and fine for regular photography, but if you're looking to just do wide open boke' shots, you'd be better off with something else. Maybe a Tessar 2.8/50 or the Fujinon 2.2/55.

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mos6502 wrote:
It's definitely a light meter version. The other ones never had the big knob on the side.

As for the OP: if you're looking for a lens that is super sharp wide open, this is not it. It's pretty sharp stopped down, and fine for regular photography, but if you're looking to just do wide open boke' shots, you'd be better off with something else. Maybe a Tessar 2.8/50 or the Fujinon 2.2/55.

I'm looking for a good legacy 21mm - 35mm, i would like a sharp one. Found a topcor 35 2.8, Tamron Adaptall 2 28mm F2.5 and an Oly 24 2.8 (the zeiss flek 35 2.4 is very expensive here in Brazil ~1100 dollars) Thank you !

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What camera do you use and which adapters do you have for it?

The Konica Hexanon 28mm 7/7 version is a very good lens.
See here: http://forum.mflenses.com/konica-hexanon-28mm-f-3-5-7-7-version-t71738,highlight,%2Bhexanon+%2B7+%2B7.html

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TrueLoveOne wrote:
What camera do you use and which adapters do you have for it?

The Konica Hexanon 28mm 7/7 version is a very good lens.
See here: http://forum.mflenses.com/konica-hexanon-28mm-f-3-5-7-7-version-t71738,highlight,%2Bhexanon+%2B7+%2B7.html

I would like a sharp wide angle to use on my Canon 5D (the mtf chart of the 28 1.8 is weaker than the olympus 28 3.5 e.g) , or that i can use in it and my sony a3000. m42 would be good, but the takumars that i found will have problems with the 5D mirror... I didn't find any hexanon-eos adapter ;/ I have a KH 50 1.7 that i like but just use it in my sony a3000.

I found a real beautiful topcor 35 2.8, but a guy that sells lens told me the exakta-eos can't handle infinity focus...

Thank you very much for the advice!

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vr777 wrote:

I would like a sharp wide angle to use on my Canon 5D

You can easily adapt Olympus lenses on a 5D (i have one too). Same goes for M42 lenses and Yashica/Contax, which have some really nice wides as well.
Exakta on EOS isn't a good idea, i never found a good solution. That is why i bought a Sony A7 in the end, it takes every vintage SLR brand lens without a problem and it is full-frame.
Konica lenses shine on the NEX system, our daughter uses them on her A3000 as well, but you can't fit them on the 5D, same goes for Minolta lenses, they only work on mirrorless cams as well.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday i got a very nice Schneider Edixa-Curtagon 2.8/35mm (M42), Zebra version.

The lens is in fact very good, given its age. Stopped down to f 5.6 its quality is excellent, and no CAs are visible (24MP FF)!
No wonder Minolta chose this lens as a basis for their first MC 1.8/35mm (according to Minolta project information).

Stephan