Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

500mm F/8 Samigon / Lentar
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 5:16 pm    Post subject: 500mm F/8 Samigon / Lentar Reply with quote

I see this lens about quite a bit, but there are no reviews of it here or on the Pentax forums site (which I frequent). Does anyone know anything about it? I am working on mounting it to my K-1ii for some astro attempts. When I do, I'll be back for a more thorough review. Thoughts?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's the same as my Soligor with the rotating ND filter at the back that gives it effective apertures of f11 and f22. I haven't really tested mine properly but a few quick shots with it weren't that bad.

Last edited by Lloydy on Sat Apr 06, 2024 9:54 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a couple of slightly different copies of the lens, it's decent for a third party mirror. but quite big and heavy. I'm pretty sure it's a Sigma made lens, there are many versions of the same lens with quite different appearance, but all sharing the same distinctive '40-130' marking on the focus distance ring (130 if it's feet only). The ones that were sold under the Prinz brand in the UK have an 'Σ' prefix showing it to be a Sigma lens.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lens-db.com suggests it was made by meibo, but sigma sounds more likely.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does Samigon == Samyang? (Made in Korea)

I don't think the Soligor is the same lens, however it does appear to have similar mounting mechanics like that semi-circular adjustor...I'm pretty sure all these were T2 mount...

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
Does Samigon == Samyang? (Made in Korea)

I don't think the Soligor is the same lens, however it does appear to have similar mounting mechanics like that semi-circular adjustor...I'm pretty sure all these were T2 mount...

This is the back end of the Soligor, should make it easier to compare.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's a cousin, if not from the same designer, though there are some different points. The rotating mechanism definitely has a strong resemblance, inside and out.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, the Lens DB does list the Soligor as the same lens - https://lens-db.com/lentar-500mm-f8-mirror/

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same is confusing for me. The two are not rebranded copies same. Likely the same manufacturer given the ND filter mechanisms appear identical. Given the different focus ring designs the two are obviously different models, yes?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

(Sellers pics https://www.ebay.com/itm/235483917675)

I managed to locate what I think is an earlier version of the same lens, not having the same variable aperture wheel, showing the makers name. The only thing linking them all is the unusual focus marking distance which doesn't vary over the many different external housing versions the lens had, as well as the general size, much larger than later versions of the same focal length from other manufacturers. I think there's a strong possibility they are optically the same.