Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Central's Photographic Almanac for 1941
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:29 am    Post subject: Central's Photographic Almanac for 1941 Reply with quote

I have just picked this up with some other photographic material.I do hope to scan some of the more interesting pages from this booklet...stay tuned.

Last edited by mo on Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:13 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inside front cover

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The following pages are about the Contax camera and lenses.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool! I have a Canon IIIa rangefinder with a Central Camera Co sticker inside. The camera also has an X/FP flash sync added to the front, which I believe CCC installed.

It is my understanding that CCC was equivalent to B&H today. They were a big resource for the photographic community.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike,Just from looking at this book I would say they were huge in their day.I will scan some of the pages that talk about what they could do and what repairs they did.

But first here is a little bit about Leica

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few pages about Zeiss Ikon cameras etc

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love those old catalogues - More please!

It's interesting to compare then-and-now prices: a Leica IIIb with a Summitar at first sight looks pretty cheap at £273 but using the https://www.measuringworth.com/uscompare/index.php website tells us that its present day equivalent is over $4,600 based on the consumer price index. And a 135mm Contax Sonnar works out at over $2,000 on the same basis.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh. Those prices sound about right for Leica. And Zeiss. Using that link for determining an estimated current equivalent price, that $235 Super Ikonta BX has an equivalent 2015 value of $3,760.00. So the BX I picked up for $100 a few weeks ago was a pretty good deal, I'd have to say.

Mo, I'm interested in the sort of "repairs" CCC offered. Do they mention the x/fp flash sync installation that my Canon rangefinder has?

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike,I have not read these pages in their entirety,but from what I understand you could ask them to do almost anything.
See below

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Developing,Enlarging and Print Costs...

Last edited by mo on Wed May 04, 2016 1:45 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Need Camera Insurance? Very Happy

Postage costs and terms of service

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These last pages are very cool to look at. I like the comment on the repair page that states basically that they'll build any sort of custom configuration you want.

I just googled Central Camera, and guess what? They're still in business.

http://centralcamera.com/

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was wondering if they were still in business.

I liked the question on the insurance page....If my camera was stolen by burglars or my servant!

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah yes. Perhaps the scullery maid . . .