Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Is this epoxy resin?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 11:07 am    Post subject: Is this epoxy resin? Reply with quote

Hi. Can anyone tell if this is epoxy resin that someone has used to glue a filter ring into the lens? It's an old Nokton rangefinder lens so I'm guessing it's pretty old glue too whatever it is. If it is, how do you think is the safest way to remove it without damaging the lens? Thanks.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It certainly looks like it, I don't believe there is a solvent that will touch it.
The good thing is that it probably isn't very well adhered to the shiny chrome surface of the lens.
I would suggest cutting the filter ring with a pair of wire cutters, peel off the ring and then break the epoxy resin off with a small pair of pliers, once you get a start I think it will come away cleanly without damaging the lens.

Good Luck

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly? I would leave it. That stuff is strong and you may damage the lens...

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use thinner with s brush. Put it on a surface like in the photo and start brushing it with a brush dipped in thinner. No rush if you love that lens.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zanxion72 wrote:
Use thinner with s brush. Put it on a surface like in the photo and start brushing it with a brush dipped in thinner. No rush if you love that lens.

What type of thinner? I've never used anything like that before except acetone, which didn't touch it.

I really need to get it off as I need to open the lens front to access the elements to repai separation of the elements.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ramon wrote:
It certainly looks like it, I don't believe there is a solvent that will touch it.
The good thing is that it probably isn't very well adhered to the shiny chrome surface of the lens.
I would suggest cutting the filter ring with a pair of wire cutters, peel off the ring and then break the epoxy resin off with a small pair of pliers, once you get a start I think it will come away cleanly without damaging the lens.

Good Luck

That sounds scary, I don't want to scratch the lens or bend the metal 😩

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
Honestly? I would leave it. That stuff is strong and you may damage the lens...

I need to get it off so I can repair the glass inside

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See why I need to get in? 😋
Separation 😩

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have a product in USA called 'GOOF OFF". There are a couple of similar products but this one is the best. I use it for removing the leather from camera bodies because it dissolves the glue but does not damage other parts. I like the idea of cutting the filter ring off then maybe soak the front in a small pan of GOOF OFF. Good luck
Pete

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to sound negative but I doubt you'll be able to remove it any way other than mechanical methods such as cutting/chipping. I'd be very afraid of lens damage. If it were me I think I'd try a heat gun. Depending on the epoxy they used it might work. But there's a reason they make boats out of the stuff - it's designed to last forever.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roka wrote:
Not to sound negative but I doubt you'll be able to remove it any way other than mechanical methods such as cutting/chipping. I'd be very afraid of lens damage. If it were me I think I'd try a heat gun. Depending on the epoxy they used it might work. But there's a reason they make boats out of the stuff - it's designed to last forever.

Do you think the heat gun might crack the glass though?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete wrote:
We have a product in USA called 'GOOF OFF". There are a couple of similar products but this one is the best. I use it for removing the leather from camera bodies because it dissolves the glue but does not damage other parts. I like the idea of cutting the filter ring off then maybe soak the front in a small pan of GOOF OFF. Good luck
Pete

I'm in uk so will be expensive and dodgy to import I would think. But I will try it as a last resort maybe. Thanks

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VictoriaMac wrote:
Pete wrote:
Pete

I'm in uk so will be expensive and dodgy to import I would think. But I will try it as a last resort maybe. Thanks

It contains acetone and xylene. You probably have something similar in UK.
I just mixed up some epoxy. It seems to cut it but I will try again tomorrow after it fully cures.
Pete

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VictoriaMac wrote:
Roka wrote:

NEVER EVER use a heat gun!!!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks permanent. Wink

You know epoxy look & feel, yes? Afaik unless epoxy formula has reversal built-in, there is no solvent that would not also destroy the parts. For example there are epoxies that un-harden on exposure to UV, others with special agents.

With care the filter & epoxy could be ground away from the lens using archaeology techniques, i.e., dental tools, watchmaker's tools, etc..

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete wrote:
VictoriaMac wrote:
Pete wrote:
Pete

It contains acetone and xylene. You probably have something similar in UK.
I just mixed up some epoxy. It seems to cut it but I will try again tomorrow after it fully cures.
Pete

Thanks, let me know how it goes with the dryer epoxy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roka wrote:

I'm not so sure that it will be do easy to clip the ring off as it quite a thick metal ring.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am I correct that it is not about using this lens, but rather
raising its resale value? Just an impression I'm getting Wink

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
Am I correct that it is not about using this lens, but rather
raising its resale value? Just an impression I'm getting Wink

Haha no. I want to use it, but I want to see if I can improve its condition before I invest in an expensive rf-m43 adapter.
Besides, even if I did want to sell it, i don't think I'd get much for it considering how much I'd messed about with it. Id have to say I'd opened it and oiled it and so on, and nobody would want it. It's already been opened, I can tell, as there is dirt inside it, and since I didn't pay much for it, I see it as a nice little project for myself. I'm curious to see how it performs on my digital camera.
That's not to say I won't sell it down the line if I do t use it or can't fix it 😊

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok so I bought some wire cutters, gave it a firm tug and the whole lot popped off including the resin! Haha! Thanks fir all your help. Next stage ... Opening lens 😧

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
VictoriaMac wrote:
Roka wrote:

Why not? Damage to the rest of the lens? Just curious.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VictoriaMac wrote:
Roka wrote:

I suppose it's possible. I think any of the "mechanical" solutions you're getting would be in the "I'm willing to destroy the lens trying to get the filter off" category. Another thought that crossed my mind was using a fine cutting wheel on a Dremel Tool. You might be able to control it well enough to cut through the filter ring without damaging the lens. Again, I'd only try that if I were willing to lose the lens in the process which is a > 0% chance. Smile

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roka wrote:
kds315* wrote:
VictoriaMac wrote:
Roka wrote:

Crystal lattice is easy to fracture with too fast, or uneven, thermal expansion/contraction. Also the differing metal & silicon coefficients of expansion...

There is a huge difference to pointing a heat gun at a tiny hole in a mask covering a lens except for one tiny screw head, and pointing a heat gun at a whole lens. The heat gets applied uneven; that side expands faster. The glass and metal expand at different rates. If the glass doesn't pop from too fast uneven heating, it will pop from trying to squeeze out of a constricted space...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I need to use heat to loosen a tiny screw I use the pointed tip of an electronics soldering iron on the screw head. Works a treat, and no excess heat to damage anything else or melt the grease.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
Roka wrote:
kds315* wrote:
VictoriaMac wrote:
Roka wrote:

Crystal lattice is easy to fracture with too fast, or uneven, thermal expansion/contraction. Also the differing metal & silicon coefficients of expansion...

There is a huge difference to pointing a heat gun at a tiny hole in a mask covering a lens except for one tiny screw head, and pointing a heat gun at a whole lens. The heat gets applied uneven; that side expands faster. The glass and metal expand at different rates. If the glass doesn't pop from too fast uneven heating, it will pop from trying to squeeze out of a constricted space...

Good point - makes a lot of sense!