Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Zeiss Triotar 13.5cm
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:05 pm    Post subject: Zeiss Triotar 13.5cm Reply with quote

I don't own any Zeiss lenses but I'd like to remedy that situation. After looking around I found one that I think I'd like, the Triotar 13.5cm. I know there are a couple of versions of the 13.5cm and I'm interested in the "thinner" version. It looks like it can be had for around $150 +/-. Does anyone have this lens and how does it perform? Any concerns about counterfeit versions? I'd be using it on my Sony a7 via adapter.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For 150 you should get a mint example with case. There are many on ebay all the time. Its an older formula, a triplet. It will not be very fast and in that era coatings were not that good, so contrast and flare resistance will suffer somewhat. They do render images with that vintage feel. Reasonably sharp. Unless you want to start an expensive collection of unusable lenses I would recommend just getting a reasonable "user" example. Should be able to pick one up for 80 dollars to try, just to see if you like it. It certainly not up to the standards of the Sonnars in most respects.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite frankly, $150 feels like a little waste of cash. I remember selling ca 5 of them serviced, including re-lube (these Triotars tend to be stiff as hell) up to $85 (I never focused on these though, but they tend to be a part of large camera equipment konvoluts from time to time). If you buy these "found as is" always count with re-lubing, especially if Fat version. Just to be prepared, count with re-lubing these sold as MINTs too Smile

Now I have a now excellent serviceman who lubes even this "tight" not very well manufactured lenses great and smooth.

In my hands it performs this way.

#1 (M42 Fat from1950s)

#2 (M42 Slim from late 1940s)

Ultimately sold all of these, but I can't really say a bad word on them. They're just common normal solid triplets, quite generic, but quite pretty and overall cheap. Triotars tend to have good overall sharpness including corners and, which was really good for butterflies, OK to very good MFD. (Fat: 135mm x 1.2m)

Now I bought pre-war (not early post-war) cm version either from Leica or Exa "upgraded" to M42 mount, just because I kind of collect these pre-war collectibles. From Kazakhstan Very Happy

I hope you find this somewhat helpful.

Marek

Last edited by Marek on Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:22 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamaeolus wrote:
For 150 you should get a mint example with case. There are many on ebay all the time. Its an older formula, a triplet. It will not be very fast and in that era coatings were not that good, so contrast and flare resistance will suffer somewhat. They do render images with that vintage feel. Reasonably sharp. Unless you want to start an expensive collection of unusable lenses I would recommend just getting a reasonable "user" example. Should be able to pick one up for 80 dollars to try, just to see if you like it. It certainly not up to the standards of the Sonnars in most respects.

+1
rather look post war Triotar fat version alu 135mm that is great lens trully.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Want something different? Get yourself a Voigtlander Super-Dynarex or Rodenstock Rotelar 135mm F4. Wink

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marek, I am always taken aback at how phenomenal your butterfly photography is.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, everyone, for your comments. I'm not sure what I'm going to do but I value your input.

Marek, thank you for sharing your beautiful butterfly pictures!!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roka wrote:
Thanks, everyone, for your comments. I'm not sure what I'm going to do but I value your input.

I might sell you one of my late "Fat" postwar 135mm Triotars when serviced, cleaned and most importantly re-lubed Smile for not much more than $100 incl. economy shipping (via PP)

jamaeolus wrote:
Marek, I am always taken aback at how phenomenal your butterfly photography is.

Hmm, thank you again, I am very flattered but I don't think any of my Triotar 135 butterfly photos made it on the top here Smile http://www.juzaphoto.com/me.php?p=86591&pg=allphotos&l=en In fact, Triotar stuff ended up between average and bottom Smile The lens is still somewhat suitable for this though, mainly thanks to its friendly MFD, good overall sharpness and solid vintage bokeh

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love the colors on your Limenitis camilla pic. Not easy to find this one sitting on flowers. It's also quite rare in my parts.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marek wrote:
Roka wrote:

I might sell you one of my late "Fat" postwar 135mm Triotars when serviced, cleaned and most importantly re-lubed Smile for not much more than $100 incl. economy shipping (via PP)

PM sent

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Humulus wrote:
Love the colors on your Limenitis camilla pic. Not easy to find this one sitting on flowers. It's also quite rare in my parts.

Hello, it is actually Limenitis reducta. L. reducta is not present in Poland Very Happy Whoo Turtle It was the only time I achieved such kind of bokeh.

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marek wrote:
L. reducta is not present in Poland Very Happy Whoo Turtle It was the only time I achieved such kind of bokeh.

This makes me even more jealous.

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Humulus wrote:
Marek wrote:
L. reducta is not present in Poland Very Happy Whoo Turtle It was the only time I achieved such kind of bokeh.

This makes me even more jealous.

The absence of reducta in Poland is only climate related, no extiction matter due to [fill any reason] I think, so no need to be sad for not seeing that particular butterfly around your site. I believe it is fairly common mediaterranean butterfly where is at least double-brooded. Make a trip to Balkan and you won't miss these. It lives in Hungary, Austria and southern of these countries, perhaps even in southern Slovakia.