Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Back again to Helios-103 1.8/53
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:30 pm    Post subject: Back again to Helios-103 1.8/53 Reply with quote

In 2012 there was an animation here on the forum around Helios-103 1.8/53, a late Soviet lens which exists only on RF Contax-Kiev mount. At that time it was not in my priorities. But I recently acquired a 1982 copy. The lens is known for its sharpness already wide open and mine fully confirms that fame. I was impressed indeed with the image it gives at f1.8, especially after dreamy Jupiters w/o. And obviously even more at f2.8-f5.6.

As far as many posts and saturated discussions from 2012 lost the images provided by the fresh owners of Helios-103, I refresh the data bank with several shots which might not give the maximum richness of colours and subjects but which give an idea of the lens' drawing and IQ.

#1 - close up wide open ( f1.8 )

Crop form the image centre above, unprocessed, wow:

#2 - close up at f2.8

Crop form the image centre above, unprocessed, where you may see some fine details, like the web thread, double wow, just amazing:

#3 - at a distance of 2 metres, at f1.8, auto contrast:

Crop form the image above (towards the lower edge), unprocessed:

#4 - texture and grip test at f1.8, auto contrast

#5 - texture and grip test at f5.6, auto contrast

#6 - "macro mode" at f1.8 which overrides the minimal focusing distance and shows quite a thin DOF and strangely 3D-mounting OOF:

I have some of the shots made equally with Jupiter-3. Let me know if side-by-side posting serves you in any way.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, it's a nice little lens, I should use mine more, I first have to tighten the adapter as its gotten loose.
The lens has a nice transition to OOF that I really like.
I do wish it had a bit more robust build, it does feel less substantial than all my other RF lenses.

Last edited by Lightshow on Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:49 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a Planar-Biotar symmetrical scheme (6/4) not a Sonnar. It is a way sharper than its "collegue" J8.