Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Ross Resolux 9cm F4 Enlarger Lens on Bellows and NEX
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 4:42 pm    Post subject: Ross Resolux 9cm F4 Enlarger Lens on Bellows and NEX Reply with quote

Very Happy
Well this lens seems to go for a few ££ on ebay but today a camera shop i went in had it on the shelf covered in dust and looking very sad so i made an offer on the cost of a few beers, and he accepted.
This enlarger lens is heavy and well built.
Serial starts with 219xxx so according to the wiki its 1950s

http://camera-wiki.org/wiki/Ross_serial_numbers

Can this be correct?

So i took the m39 to M42 adaptor mounted it on the NEX with some bellows and it focuses at around 1.5m -2m with the bellows not extended.
So i took it out for a spin and i think i quite like the lens will need to get to now it better.
Seems sharp, good colours.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite a bargain!

patrickh

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it has a chrome (or polished metal) barrel, click stops and coated lenses, then it's probably from the later 1950s. From memory, it's a Tessar-type lens and the results will be nice - as you've clearly found already Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one of these, they used to be cheap on ebay but now aren't, not sure why as there are much better enlarger lenses in sharpness and contrast terms. However, as you've found, the colours are really nice and it has great bokeh.

Not used mine for ages, I will have to get it out again.

On NEX-3:

Looking at my pics, your lens looks sharper than mine.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Ian

Quite agree. I am not sure why the name attracts the premium it does. For similar prices an Apo-Rodagon or Componon wipe the floor with the samples I have seen from the Ross lenses.

patrickh

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I have a Rodagon and a Componon and they are a lot better. I think there is a craze for classic British lenses in the Far East. Try finding a T&TH Ental at a good price, no way. Anything by TT&H, Cooke, Dallmeyer, Ross carries a premium now, most annoying.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We were moving an old filing cabinet today and found one of these lenses in the bottom drawer.
Here are a couple of pix taken on bellows and Fujifilm X-E1
OH