Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Is B&W c41 processing different from color c41?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 8:00 am    Post subject: Is B&W c41 processing different from color c41? Reply with quote

Hi

I have some black and white films which accept c41 process(it's written on the box), but the first time that I took one of them to the lab for processing I didn't know anything about c41 and traditional processing and their differences. they said it's black and white film and I need to take it to a different lab which processes black and white films, I did, but apparently they charge more for black and white processing.

I googled a bit and found out that there are c41 black and white films(like the ones I have) which can be processed the same as color films. So is this true? Isn't there "any" difference between processing black and white c41 film and color c41 film?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The short answer is "no." There is no difference. Kodak, for example, produced BW41CN, I think it was called, and the entire point behind it was to make it easier to process. Sadly, Kodak has discontinued this product, which was actually pretty nice B&W film.

Your film processor should pay attention to the development process printed on the film cassette. You got some bad advice.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are monochrome colornegative (not slide) films, not BW films. They must be processed using C41. C41 is the standard process for all these cheap klack klack vacation images and most widely available.

This is cheaper and fully automatic and gives better results than botched BW processing, but the result is a color negative, not a real silver BW negative. (various stylistic silver grain BW effects unavailable; really fine grain high-end texture unavailable peak C41 about 150lp/mm; resulting image uses dyes not silver, thus not forever)

Don't let them talk you into processing it in real BW this will not work.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used it years ago. Both the Kodak ant the Ilford films. They are standard C-41 process and should pose no problem for the developer. Back then the chain stores had no idea what to do with it, even the store I bought it from. I found the best was the local grocery store because they would send anything unusual right to Kodak. The only issue was that the paper was color and often turned out a sepia tone. These still make good proofs and you can print the final on real B&W paper or scan. These films are also best for scanning because they do not have silver to block the IR dust reduction process.
Pete

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Kodak, for example, produced BW41CN, I think it was called,

Actually it was BW400CN - great film, and as Pete pointed out, scanned really well.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the correction. Yeah, I recall it scanning very well.