Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Young couple with Zeiss Makro-Planar 100
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:30 pm    Post subject: Young couple with Zeiss Makro-Planar 100 Reply with quote

I think this was the first time I've used this Planar for portrait, seems a bit poisonous and overexposed to me, maybe shall do better next time Whoo Turtle

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the planar may be a bit too sharp to use for portraits. Like my Zenitar M, an excellent, sharp lens but not necessarily flattering to people's faces.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the photo is slightly overexposed. But yeah, agreed, really sharp lenses will show every pore, skin discoloration, etc.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Marek,

Lenses don't overexpose... photographers do...and that's about 2 stops overexposed... Shocked Wink

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TAo2 wrote:
Hi Marek,

Lenses don't overexpose... photographers do...and that's about 2 stops overexposed... Shocked Wink

Two stops is somewhat recoverable, even in JPG, in a pinch.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Much better! I am pathetic at portrait photography (people get that "Oh! I am being photographed" look). So I can't criticize. But there must to be a reason manufacturers market "soft focus" lenses in portraiture FL's.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CBokeh wrote:
TAo2 wrote:
Hi Marek,

Two stops is somewhat recoverable, even in JPG, in a pinch.

There seem to be color casts in your edit.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Lightshow"][quote="CBokeh"]
TAo2 wrote:

You mean I changed some of the existing color cast. That was on purpose. I'd rather see warm skin than overcast blue zombies. I also did zit removal, no extra charge.

Last edited by CBokeh on Wed Apr 20, 2016 5:39 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The light just wasn't right, I think. The guy's forhead and nose and the girl's hand are very overexposed while the girl's eyes don't even get enough light. If the photo was exposed "correctly" for the highlights, her eyes would be totally black. Next time you need to position them better in relation to the light source (sun/sky) and/or use a reflector. Wink

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was perhaps my only overexposed photo from ca 100 photos in 1-2 hours, so no big deal, yet the capture of these two people was probably the best on this one. Anyone who claims this one to be overexposed is obviously right Very Happy Couldn't much help myself with B&W here as, unlike old Biotar, Makro-Planar has no retro feeling I think. Argument to be too sharp for portraits is no longer valid for me, I just have to handle the lens better next time and work with a bit more. Now I am about to sell my Primoplan 75 to a good friend of mine so there might be one free extra portraiture slot in my bag Whoo Turtle

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="CBokeh"][quote="Lightshow"]
CBokeh wrote:
TAo2 wrote:

You mean I changed some of the existing color cast. That was on purpose. I'd rather see warm skin than overcast blue zombies. I also did zit removal, no extra charge.

Hi Cbokeh...Ah didn't write that..? Confused

PS,

ah don't think (personally) that anything can be "too sharp" for portraits. Cool

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="CBokeh"][quote="Lightshow"]
CBokeh wrote:
TAo2 wrote:

I was actually referring to his shirt, the green.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Lightshow"][quote="CBokeh"]
Lightshow wrote:
CBokeh wrote:
TAo2 wrote:

I was actually referring to his shirt, the green.

Let's see if ah can be clearer....see this bit?->->...
TAo2 wrote:

All of the above? In this post? Not me; other people wrote those quotes . Shouldn't be difficult tae spot whom, as there's only a handful of suspects left. Ah'll give ye a clue...it was you (Lightshow)...Cbokeh thinks it was me, you thought ah wrote the other bit ...no. Friends Cool

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is called "re-touching".

Imho too it is better to have too much sharp than too little. A few skin blemishes are no problem to re-touch using modern software. Film people had tiny brushes and special inks to modify film negatives -- a friend of mine used to re-touch for all the high school portrait photographers in the area -- hundreds of student portraits.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Over exposed skin is a nightmare, as the red channel clips first, so you tend to get weird colour shifts, with relatively too much green giving yellow patches round the highlights. Used to see it all the time in contrasty video. Raw is definitely a good idea for faces!