Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Mid FL range zoom recommendations please
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 12:49 am    Post subject: Mid FL range zoom recommendations please Reply with quote

I greatly prefer primes but I acknowledge that zooms have their place for things like traveling light. I've recently bought a couple of telephoto zooms in the approximately 70-210mm range. I'd also like to get a zoom for the shorter FL range of say 28-70mm. I'm not fixed on that range, I'm just looking for something to complement the telephoto zoom. Can anyone give me some recommendations? I'd like to stay in the < $100 range. Any mount is fine.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get the minolta AF 28-85, or wow so many good zooms available from minolta that will work on your camera and have AF as well and are dirt cheap. (assuming you have the LEA3 or 4 E to A adapter. I just looked the 28-85 is like 20 dollars on ebay. Canon FD 35-70 are well regarded as are the MD minoltas

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+ 1 on Minolta, there's also the manual MD version of that 28-85, i was a fan of the Tokina AT-X 28-85 (still a good lens, don't get me wrong!) but after i had used the MD 28-85 i sold the AT-X.

Tamron Adaptall series have some great zooms as well. There's also a very nice Komine/Vivitar S1 28-90, but that is rather big and heavy.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also the 35-105 Minolta is very good. I have the first AF version and I liked it so much I bought a second copy after I dropped and broke the first one.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second recommendation of TrueLoveOne with Vivitar Series 1 28-90/2.8-3.5 it's a great lens, although a bit more difficult to focus for me. If you would be happy with a bit shorter range I strongly recommend Tamron SP 01A 35-80/2.8-3.8, it's astonishing lens that delivers fantastic, sharp photos and could be obtained reasonably priced.
For my last mountain trip I took Vivitar Series 1 24-48/3.8 lens for a short end and I could honestly recommend this one as well as a great lens.

I cannot say anything about Minolta lenses as I never had one, but I had Tokina AT-X 28-85 and it was very mediocre, however I think that I just had a bad copy. I also cannot recommend Tamron SP 27A 28-80 as it was far behind aforementioned 35-80, as well as Kiron 28-85 supposedly good lens was quite mediocre. Have in mind, however that I just might had bad copies of those last two.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the recommendations. I looked for a Minolta MD 35-70mm f/4 but the ones in good condition are more than I really want to spend. I found a couple of Minolta MD 28-85mm f/3.5-4.5 macro that are in good condition and more affordable. I read both good and not so good things about that lens (like most of the lenses I research.)

Also thanks for the recommendations on the AF lenses but I don't have the adapters I'd need and really prefer MF lenses.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second the Tamron SP 01A, it's noticeably better than the Tokina AT-X 28-85. Another mediocre zoom is the Tokina RMC 28-70 f/4. Edges are soft and smudged.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PhantomLord wrote:
I second recommendation of TrueLoveOne with Vivitar Series 1 28-90/2.8-3.5 it's a great lens, although a bit more difficult to focus for me. If you would be happy with a bit shorter range I strongly recommend Tamron SP 01A 35-80/2.8-3.8, it's astonishing lens that delivers fantastic, sharp photos and could be obtained reasonably priced.
For my last mountain trip I took Vivitar Series 1 24-48/3.8 lens for a short end and I could honestly recommend this one as well as a great lens.

I agree with all three of these recommendations, especially the Vivitar S1 28-90. I've used this lens for many years and I have many great photos to show for it. It's a bit on the heavy side, and the varifocal nature of the lens takes some getting used to, but to me it has always been worth dealing with these issues. For years, my "walking around" kit consisted of the Vivitar 28-90, a Tamron 60-300, and a Canon F-1.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again for the recommendations. After looking at what's currently available I ended up buying a Minolta MD 28-85mm f/3.5-4.5 macro. I'll let you know what I think after I receive it and get a chance to try it out.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chances are, you'll like the lens, provided that the variable aperture doesn't bother you too much. I checked it out on eBay and was surprised to find that it sells for a pretty good chunk of change. Geez, good Minolta mf lenses sure aren't cheap, are they? Cool

I also googled it to see what I could find. Among the google results was a thread that was started right here at mflenses a couple of years ago. It contains some good info you might find useful.

http://forum.mflenses.com/minolta-md-28-85-reviews-are-needed-t65111.html

Here is a three page test on Minolta 35mm lenses in which the 28-85 was included and used at 35mm. It's worth the read.

http://www.rokkorfiles.com/35mm%20Page%201.htm

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
Chances are, you'll like the lens, provided that the variable aperture doesn't bother you too much. I checked it out on eBay and was surprised to find that it sells for a pretty good chunk of change. Geez, good Minolta mf lenses sure aren't cheap, are they? Cool

I also googled it to see what I could find. Among the google results was a thread that was started right here at mflenses a couple of years ago. It contains some good info you might find useful.

http://forum.mflenses.com/minolta-md-28-85-reviews-are-needed-t65111.html

Here is a three page test on Minolta 35mm lenses in which the 28-85 was included and used at 35mm. It's worth the read.

http://www.rokkorfiles.com/35mm%20Page%201.htm

Thanks for the links!