Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Helios 44-2 - which version?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 1:31 am    Post subject: Helios 44-2 - which version? Reply with quote

I've decided I want a Helios 44-2 because I'm amazed by the swirly bokeh that it can produce. I've been looking on that auction site and see that there are many different versions available. Can anyone recommend a version (or versions) of the lens that will give me that swirly bokeh I'm looking for, or are they all going to produce the same results? Also, and I know this may sound silly, but I prefer the labeling on the lens to be in Cyrillic. That's not a deal-breaker but rather a "would like" feature.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: Helios 44-2 - which version? Reply with quote

Roka wrote:
I've decided I want a Helios 44-2 because I'm amazed by the swirly bokeh that it can produce. I've been looking on that auction site and see that there are many different versions available. Can anyone recommend a version (or versions) of the lens that will give me that swirly bokeh I'm looking for, or are they all going to produce the same results? Also, and I know this may sound silly, but I prefer the labeling on the lens to be in Cyrillic. That's not a deal-breaker but rather a "would like" feature.

I would advise you to pick the cheapest with best credentials from seller regarding the status of glass and internal hygiene.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: Helios 44-2 - which version? Reply with quote

Pancolart wrote:
Roka wrote:

I would advise you to pick the cheapest with best credentials from seller regarding the status of glass and internal hygiene.

+1. The cheapest one is good enough if it is in good condition.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have two Helios 44 lenses. One is an older 44-2:

Helios-44-2 58mm/2.0 by Miran Amon, on Flickr

And the other is a slightly newer design, the 44M:

Helios 44M 58mm/2.0 by Miran Amon, on Flickr

They look very different, the older one being a preset, smaller and with a deeply recessed front element, while the newer one is an auto lens, bigger, fatter and with completely different materials, engravings, etc. They were made in different factories too. The interesting thing though is, that the image quality as far as I can tell is virtually identical. Supposedly the lenses marked 44M-x (the x being a number between 2 and 7) are optically different with more sharpness and less swirly bokeh. So what I'm trying to say is if you're after the famous swirly bokeh, you don't necessarily need the 44-2 as the 44M will be the same, just avoid 44M-4 etc.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More here:

http://www.pentaxforums.com/userreviews/zenitar-lenses-for-pentax-primes-c83.html

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had sveral versions aswell (44-M, 44-M7, 44-2, 44-M4 and maybe more I don't remember Wink).
I liked the 44-2 most - and it's often the cheapest aswell.

PS: I guess quality spreading is often bigger than the differences between the versions Wink

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the recommendations! I just found and ordered one from that-auction-site. And it even has the Cyrillic lettering I was looking for. Smile