Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Sun Optical 600mm f8 preset
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:00 pm    Post subject: Sun Optical 600mm f8 preset Reply with quote

I recently bid on this lens only to lose out. Still, in researching the lens I found little . . . well really nothing on this exact lens. It is apparently circa 1950's/1960's. Its 600mm focal length is what makes the lens stand out. I own a couple of Sun Optical lenses from the same era, but of course nothing as desirable as this. I've not prior run across a copy of this lens anywhere in the last seven or eight years, and I will be surprised to see another. So I wanted to create a record here even though, beyond a few photos, I do not have much to offer on this lens. Here are the photos:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A handsome beast!

I recall Tokina produced a similar one where it unscrewed in the middle to make it more compact.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks !
This is a very uncommon lens.
Especially in the original wooden box !
I don't think I have seen this in importers brands before.
It is quite different from the Tokina and Kawanon 600/8's.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Appreciate the responses, guys. Thank you.

I guess I should have bid higher. I had qualms bidding on something this expensive, to wit:

I could not see the entire name ring, and there was no branding anywhere in the photos except on the wooden box.

The "H" prefix gave me concern it might actually be a Tokina lens, though of course, Luis, I very much respect your contrary indication. Still, had I been 100% certain (instead of perhaps 90%) it was a real Sun Optical lens I would have bid higher.

From what I could find, Sun Optical, back at that time, made their own lenses. If Sun Optical, as now appears to be the case, actually made this lens, then to me that makes it worth more than if it is merely a re-branded lens manufactured by a different company.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Tokina is different - it has the "gunsight" pointing aid, which is its distinctive feature.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am curious to know if there is a sun logo on the name plate. Wink

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
I am curious to know if there is a sun logo on the name plate. Wink

Agreed, calvin83. That old Sun Optical logo was very distinctive and definitive. It appears on the (far less interesting or valuable) Sun Optical lenses I already own. It is mentioned in this write up, regarding Sun Optical, which I found when researching this lens:

http://camerapedia.wikia.com/wiki/Sun

where this is written:

"Its logo was an elongated "S" crossed by two brackets."

But does that logo, or at least the Sun Optical name, appear on this 600mm lens itself, and not just on the case? That was my my concern, too.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The logo is not always there. For example, some of the 9cm F4 does have the logo and some don't. However, I think we need to check if the name SUN is present on the nameplate. Sometimes, the name might be different to that one on the sticker. Wink

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
The logo is not always there. For example, some of the 9cm F4 does have the logo and some don't. However, I think we need to check if the name SUN is present on the nameplate. Sometimes, the name might be different to that one on the sticker. Wink

Yes, agreed calvin83. I wish the photo had shown the entire name ring. Regrettably, at this point since I lost the auction, I will never know the answer to the very reasonable question you pose . . . . . . not unless the auction winner happens also to be a member of this forum and comes forward with the information. That would be a good thing. Wink

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually would like to try one of these.

The Kawanon and Tokina 600/8's really can't be handheld (though I did try).
Because in both the focus ring is behind the point of balance - the tripod mount - makes it very difficult to use without a tripod or at least a monopod. With a 600/8 you will be fussing with focus a lot.

This Sun looks much better balanced - the point of balance seems to me to be just on the focus ring (see where they had to put the tripod mount, on an extension arm), so hand-holding is probably more practical. It will never be a snapshot lens, probably, but who knows.

Minimum focus is probably some tremendous distance though.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks identical to the Vemar-branded 600/8 clone.
I wonder who the OEM was...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems clear this is a Sun, which could have been rebranded as Vemar, as Bittco (owner of Vemar brand) did import from several makers, maybe including Sun.

I did see a Tokina 600/8 (focus helical behind tripod mount, aiming "gunsight" as a Vemar.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Possibly; what puzzles me is the letter "H" used as prefix on all 600/8s of this type (I own #H35561, btw), whilst SUN doesn't seem to have used such prefix in their other series of lenses (unless of course I'm missing something).