Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Canon FD 20mm f2.8 - play time
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:19 am    Post subject: Canon FD 20mm f2.8 - play time Reply with quote

This lens is the fastest ultra wide I have. Very sharp and good contrast from f4. It shows some interesting properties at f2.8. Landscape use f5.6 or f8.

#3 at f2.8, 1.5m/5feet

#4 at f5.6, 2m/6feet

#5 at f4.0, 4m/13feet

#6 at f2.8, backlit, for dreammy effect.

Last edited by hoanpham on Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:45 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice results...very usable at wideopen.,, I mean I like it Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for showing these!
On which camera do You use the lens?
I have on, at the moment macro converted to EF mount, cause its back lens would interfere with wthe EOS 5D mirror. Now after I have a 5D with shorter mirror I should rework the lens mount.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A VG lens, one day I hope to get one.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this this the SSC Breach mount or the nFD bayonet mount?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks really good indeed

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Suat, Excalibur, Aanything, ZoneV. Lightshow

ZoneV wrote:
On which camera do You use the lens?

I use with sony nex5n. Register distance is too short for other bodies, and my skill of modifying mount is not as good. The nex5n had got a lot of attention since summer.

The lens has Breach mount, not bayonet. Is it any different than the mount?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

#7 at f2.8, minimum focus distance:

#8 at f5.6, bright over cast sky

#9 at f5.6

#10, cannot remember f-stop

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it too nice pictures, not sure about lens.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
I like it too nice pictures, not sure about lens.

Oh? Please tell us.

I have two copies of this lens. Both are good, can't tell any wrong with it.
Of course, I don't have any other fast ultra wide to compare.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this lens is a pretty good option for the nexters.

Yes, Contax G 21/2.8 leaves it for dead - much crisper, richer images, but it does contrary to protestations, exhibit colour cast, though not in all conditions.

In fact all of the current rangefinder lenses do, even the Zeiss 18/4 which is meant to work just fine on the NEX-5n. So the only option is old designs or the current offerings from Sony/Sigma. Sigma 19mm is not bad from what I've seen. Have you got it, Hoan? Would be interesting to see how the two compare.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Daniel,

The other I have around 20mm are OM 21/3.5 and pentax M 20/4, but not as fast.
I would think that if the register distance is longer for ultra wide, the lens should perform a bit better on digital sensors.
That because the light rays enter more direct at the edges than range finder lenses.

I might be wrong then.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the lens looks good doing what it was intended for: Wide-angle landscapes and shots where space is limited. The close ups, to me, look horrible due to the very distracting out of focus areas.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a well-respected lens. It should be good on FF/35mm cameras too (crop bodies tend to flatter a lot of lenses that would have soft corners).

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skida wrote:
I think the lens looks good doing what it was intended for: Wide-angle landscapes and shots where space is limited. The close ups, to me, look horrible due to the very distracting out of focus areas.

+1. Love the boat shots. Tulips are also not bad, but shiny blobs are not the best. This is pretty normal with fast wide angles, Nikkor 24/f2 had similarly distracting OOF rendering as far as I recall.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Canon FD 20mm f2.8 - play time Reply with quote

Hi!

I have one of these too. I like your photo #1, and particularly #5. I don't like the "dreamy effect" of #8 at all, I think other lenses do it much better. Including the Spiratone 20mm, which it seems can do little else well.

You seem to get about the same quality out of this lens as I do. It's clearly better than the Spiratone 20mm I have, and I think a bit worse than the Konica 21mm. I'm always happiest with this lens at f5.6-f11, focused no closer than 3m, on naturally wide subjects.

Cheers!

hoanpham wrote:
This lens is the fastest ultra wide I have. Very sharp and good contrast from f4. It shows some interesting properties at f2.8. Landscape use f5.6 or f8.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Canon FD 20mm f2.8 - play time Reply with quote

glasslover wrote:
I'm always happiest with this lens at f5.6-f11, focused no closer than 3m, on naturally wide subjects.

Naturally, that's what it was designed for, and hence will be optimised for.

Shooting ultrawides wide open is a bit stupid, imho, like using a cow to pull a wagon instead of a horse.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've owned one of these before, and it was much sharper in the corners and sides than the more expensive Flektogon 20/2.8, even on a crop sensor Sony Nex.

Nice samples by the way!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds strange, I've seen several 20-21mm lenses compared and the differences were miniscule, they included a 20mm Flek, a Konica 21mm, a Minolta, an Olympus and I forget what else. In normal use for buildings, scenery, at f8-f11 you really couldn't tell them apart unless you were super-anal about searching hard for the tiny differences.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
That sounds strange, I've seen several 20-21mm lenses compared and the differences were miniscule, they included a 20mm Flek, a Konica 21mm, a Minolta, an Olympus and I forget what else. In normal use for buildings, scenery, at f8-f11 you really couldn't tell them apart unless you were super-anal about searching hard for the tiny differences.

Well no offence, but I tried several 20mm lenses and the Flek was easily the worst at the edges (I tried three copies). I did a test somewhere on this forum.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here you go:

http://forum.mflenses.com/20mm-lenses-compared-t41468.html

I didn't test the Canon at this point, I have some samples somewhere though compared to it...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:
iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

Well no offence, but I tried several 20mm lenses and the Flek was easily the worst at the edges (I tried three copies). I did a test somewhere on this forum.

Don't know, the Flek 20 I had for a while had a stuck aperture, the one I saw RAWs from in comparison with a few others had no issues with edge softness of APS-C, I think it was a zebra, if not, later MC. They were at f8, don't see the sense in shooting an ultrawide at large apertures, if it's above f8 the Flek has issues, that's a bit moot to me as i would never use it above f8 anyways, I shoot my Konica 21mm all the time, both NEX and film and it's a very rare thing for me to use it above f8.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bokeh at F2.8 is beautiful!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the link Graham. Very interesting results.

I am adding two threads of mine here to complete:
http://forum.mflenses.com/smc-pentax-m-20mm-f4-t47924,highlight,%2Bpentax+%2B20mm.html

http://forum.mflenses.com/smc-pentax-m-20mm-f4-t47884,highlight,%2Bpentax+%2B20mm.html

diddy wrote:
The bokeh at F2.8 is beautiful!

Bokeh is a very personal taste Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the pleasure of spending last weekend with my brother and taking some images around where he lives.
I used the Canon FD 20mm f2.8 on Fujifilm X-E1
Here are a couple of snaps.
OH