Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Recommendation for 12 step program for lens addiction
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:52 pm    Post subject: Recommendation for 12 step program for lens addiction Reply with quote

Ladies and gentlemen: I am a lens-a-holic. And I need help.

A few months ago I bought a mirrorless camera, and have become addicted to buying manual focus lenses. My family keeps asking me "what do you need all those lenses for." I don't really have an answer. They are beautiful. They are all different. They take great pictures. They make me feel good. I like to touch them, to rotate their rings, to watch their apertures open and close. To see the world through a different frame. I use words like "bokah" and "flair," and get blank looks from the person I'm talking to. I spend hours on ebay looking at blurry photos trying to figure out what each lens really is. I read the reviews, watch the youtube videos, dream about the elusive perfect shot.

Is there any cure? I feel I'm on a downward slide. Will I end up prostituting myself by taking portraits of tourists in public places for handouts to feed my lens addiction? Do you have any advice?

Razz

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buy more lenses, it's inevitable. Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And take what I say with a grain of salt, but there are only so many truly unique ones and those are the ones to focus on to avoid having like 50x 50mm/f2-2.8s sitting around that all produce about the same image.

I too want to dwell into getting some more, but not anything worse/equal to what I already own and couple pieces are hard to beat. Only if some lens offers a look truly unique from modern selection/majority of vintage ones, would I consider getting it. Slightly longer-term effect of value as well. Yea, old Asahi 50/1.4s are great, but market is polluted with them and they're next to worthless these days.

Another factor is growing into a lens- learning how to utilize what it offers fully. That's time well-spent instead of hoarding tons of them just to have them sit there on a shelf.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The day you'll be cured is the day you give up considering it as a disease.

Knowledge is everything. I had to arrive at my 100 lens number to arrive at this statement. Then, I felt stupid. Then I came to start changing 5 lenses for 1 I thought it was "too much expensive" to be considered. A "GOOD", real damn thing GOOD glass is never expensive: it's just a matter of personal purchase limits toward the lens acquisition which makes you think so. The other day I saw a 9k LF lens and thought: I can wait 9 years to buy it... But - you know - life is so short...

Renato

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, forgot to mention:
What do you find more stupid, buying a 1k MF lens, or paying 450 USD for shipping an enlarger that costs 95 USD?
Hard to tell, - sad but true - I am that guy,

Cheers,

Renato

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You cannot cure from the addiction but replace it with something else. Wink

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RSalles wrote:
What do you find more stupid, buying a 1k MF lens, or paying 450 USD for shipping an enlarger that costs 95 USD?
Hard to tell, - sad but true - I am that guy,

You are not the only one, Renato. I payed 800$ for shipping an 1300$(SH) Nikon 8000 ED film scanner and I felt quite embarrassed to admit it .
Now, reading your post, I don't feel so lonely. Smile

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Classpro.

Pick your addiction:

1. 12 step program
2. Lens acquisition syndrome

A no brainer... Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Part of the attraction for me is finding a great bargain lens. Some of my favorite lenses have been really cheap. For some people buying a few really high quality expensive lenses is the way to go. I like finding a bargain. I like reading about the neglected jewels too. I don't think I'd have the same fun buying expensive name brand glass. Yes, I have several 50mm lenses, but they have different character and I enjoy comparing them and noticing their differences. I just got a rather expensive lens (50mm Minolta MC Rokkor PG 1.4) that I'm looking forward to trying and comparing it with several slower 50s that I have.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: Recommendation for 12 step program for lens addiction Reply with quote

Classpro wrote:

A few months ago I bought a mirrorless camera, and have become addicted to buying manual focus lenses. My family keeps asking me "what do you need all those lenses for." I don't really have an answer. They are beautiful. They are all different. They take great pictures. They make me feel good. I like to touch them, to rotate their rings, to watch their apertures open and close. To see the world through a different frame. I use words like "bokah" and "flair," and get blank looks from the person I'm talking to. I spend hours on ebay looking at blurry photos trying to figure out what each lens really is. I read the reviews, watch the youtube videos, dream about the elusive perfect shot.

Is there any cure? I feel I'm on a downward slide. Will I end up prostituting myself by taking portraits of tourists in public places for handouts to feed my lens addiction? Do you have any advice?

Razz

Literally great post, if you don'm mind I just shared the read on my FB.

Generally, I believe setting some rules might eliminate the worst or slowen the process:

• not to buy too much lens of the same or almost the same mm (built, look, style of bokeh/drawing, whatever puts you into the chains)

• not to purchase cool looking but otherwise second-rate (or even unmountable) lenses

• to focus on quality not quantity, re-sell some for a good money from time to time, avoid lens in ugly condition, ...

• not to bid too emotionally, don't exactly *NEED* anything (I "need" some new good looking lens almost everyday and it's hell)

• set a rule telling you not to buy any other lens till you didn't try the last "old" one properly (harder to realize in countries with cold winters, though)

Hope this helps

Marek

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had an initial burst of buying that was frankly, embarrassing. Do I really need ten different 50-55mm lenses? Or eight different 135s?

There were a few lenses that I didn't like from the onset and promptly resold. But most I found promising enough to hold for more leisurely testing. At this point, the tempo has slowed vastly.

When asked - why so many lenses, I respond, "do you fault an artist for the number of paintbrushes or tubes of paint he has?" That generally makes the point and keeps the critics at bay.

To keep myself in check, I try to remind myself that it's the photographer that makes the lens, not the other way around, with the obvious caveat that there ARE some crappy lenses out there that are best avoided. The vast majority will produce good results in the right hands.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Until last summer I had a single 50mm lens a 50/1.4AF which I rarely use. For several years I was pleased with my lenses and not crossed my mind to buy more. Along with the other it was stolen. I did not want to replace it with the exact same type of lens, so after a few months I have five 50mm lenses or close (4 MF+1AF). I ordered the sixth (MF of course) and I refrained to buy the 7th, today Wink
By the summer I had a single 135mm lens. That was not stolen. So now I have only four 135mm lenses. Smile
I like what is written at the start of this topic. It is like a mirror in which I see myself from time to time Wink

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i only have one 135mm, a lovely Pangor 2.8 that was a cheap but beautiful lens. Of course it's close to 200mm on my crop sensor camera, but I enjoyed using it today.

I think pacing my future purchases so that I enjoy using a new lens when it comes in would be a good idea. I have not used several of my lenses yet.

I really admire the craftsmanship. The light weight autofocus that came with my camera feels like a kid's toy next to these pieces of industrial art.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I can add is just try letting some go. It's more hard than you may imagine. I've got 8 old Fuji mount MF lenses that have never seen a digital camera yet. One day I tell myself, one day. Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Step one: Admit there is a problem.
Step two: Get a part time job to pay for more glass.

Phil

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More lenses are to create Best Friendship Forever among cameras.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few years ago I slimmed my [Canon] lenses down. Sold stuff I didn't hardly use as I didn't want it just sitting around & had a 17-40L, 50/1.4 & 135L Smile

I then [in a house move] found my old Yashica 35mm SLR which I ran some film through, enjoyed the thought process, didn't like the waiting, enjoyed the manual focus side of things....... I already had a matte screen in the 5D2 so bought a C/Y > EOS adapter & I now own more [twice as many??] manual lenses than I do EOS.

Most of my manual glass is C/Y fitment so obviously I can use them on both digital & film. That's my excuse anyway...... Wink

I advise people to just pick carefully. It is easy to have many lenses of the same/similar focal length & although I wish I had the budget of some people I can see why they pick only a handful of top quality lenses.

I have a Yashica 28ML, several 50ML's, 75-200MC plus a Tokina 28-70mm [from my Yashica FX-3 brand new purchase back in the 90's] and in M42 a Helios 44-2 & Helios 135/2.8

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PWhite214 wrote:
Step one: Admit there is a problem.
Step two: Get a part time job to pay for more glass.

Phil

Step three: Hide them all from the missis
another Phil

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, addiction with lenses is not THAT bad thing. There are much worse cases you know...

Second, you can gain money from that addiction. Get deeper and closer to the lenses and you can repair them, change mounts, service them for other people for money. Thus you'll become a lens guru of some sort, why not?

Third, sell what you will not ever use because you already have something better. This is a partial measure though... I sold 3 lenses some time ago and then I've got 4 new instead of them.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cyrano wrote:
All I can add is just try letting some go. It's more hard than you may imagine. I've got 8 old Fuji mount MF lenses that have never seen a digital camera yet. One day I tell myself, one day. Very Happy

Hey there! Hate to revive an old thread with an off topic reply but I recently came across an old Fuji ax mount 28mm f/1.9 and can't find any real info on it. Do you have any info on the lens and its performance? Also what do you think would be it's market value?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me , it's just being able to afford / use those 50mm lenses which were out of reach at the time .
I even have a DSLR dedicated to Rokkors - mainly 'cos the adapter is wedged on the Leica Digilux 3 and £100 is too much to fix it LOL.
The Pentax K10D also accepts some K mount lenses .

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 4:44 am    Post subject: Re: Recommendation for 12 step program for lens addiction Reply with quote

Classpro wrote:

You will find no help around here.....

Most of us have a couple of beautiful and sharp lenses to sell to you.....
And if ever one offers his help, first read his/her signature and/or lens list.....

Good luck !

Neutral

......about those lenses for sale ......

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: Recommendation for 12 step program for lens addiction Reply with quote

Mir wrote:
Classpro wrote:

You will find no help around here.....

Most of us have a couple of beautiful and sharp lenses to sell to you....

Yes, I think we are all more or less lost to the addiction. some have it more under control, other less.
On the other hand there are groups with a higher addiction dose where every day some attractive Ebay auctions are linked, so better stay here, and not read in different photo groups.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's cheaper than heroin, and lenses tend to hold their value. Why stop? Just use them.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was afflicted at one time. I sold most of these off and my nearly 100 cameras. I actually had 3 times that number of lens before I sold them. For a while I had a Zeiss addiction that really cost a lot. The second photo is what I have left of the lens.