Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Canon FL 50mm f1.8
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:42 am    Post subject: Canon FL 50mm f1.8 Reply with quote

One of the outstanding lenses in the Canon FL range and still a bargain.
This wonderful lens gives excellent results.
All images shot at full aperture - f1.8
Tom

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely Tom, I should use mine more often.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Edgar - yes it is a great lens for sure.
Here is another
Tom

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice images.

The lens focus from 50 or 60 cm?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

papasito wrote:
Very nice images.

The lens focus from 50 or 60 cm?

Thank you papasito.
Yes it focuses from 50 cm
Tom

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice Thom....

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great lens. Haven't had or used this lens for a loooong time, but recently saw some old photo using this lens.

There is a later FL version with II after the name on the inner ring. Sources provide the same specs. Does anyone know the difference?

Coatings? thorium ?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A change in the Auto - Manual aperture ring. Early versions have the A-M ring immediately behind the aperture ring marked with a white dot. Later versions have it adjacent to the breech lock ring and marked A-M.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Casualcollector. Good observation. It does not appear that Canon designated the type two with "II" added to the trim rim in from of the lens as Canon did on other FL lenses. One mystery solved.

I am still courious if there are any optical differences as well as the mechanical difference.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the name plate inscription may differ for the two versions as well, with the first version having the words 'Canon Camera Co.' and the second version only having 'Canon'.

edit: according to the information on this page ( https://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/companies/canon/fdresources/fllenses/index.htm ) the second version was a different optical calculation.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, thank you, Alun. I did check MIR.

Version Two 's optical differences include the coatings, which are described as Magenta/Purple compared to Amber for the Type One.