Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Adapter for certain Canon FL lenses
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:51 am    Post subject: Adapter for certain Canon FL lenses Reply with quote

I want to adapt some of the Canon FL lenses that have the raised portion at the rear. There usually isn't enough clearance inside the adapter for this, as the aperture actuating control on the adapter is in the way. Is there a certain brand of adapters that clears this or do they all need to be modified? Pretty much all adapters just put a pin in place for the control. Is it just a matter of removing about half the thickness of the pin? Thanks in advance...there doesn't seem to be much info about getting these to work.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to know too as I bought some FD lenses recently.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All five of my Canon FL lenses work fine with all my adapters, never seen this problem.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kind of camera are you mounting to? I have 4 FD lenses (basically the same as FL) and I use K&F Concept adapters to mount them to my Sony A7II. They work very well.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LifesShort wrote:
I have 4 FD lenses (basically the same as FL)

Yes, basically they are the same. However, some FL lenses have a raised "bump" on the rear, which prevent them from being mounted on adapters. One such example is the FL 35/2.5, as shown below (the portion surrounding the aperture lever):
Regreasing Canon FL 35/2.5 by scepticswe, on Flickr

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sceptic wrote:
LifesShort wrote:
I have 4 FD lenses (basically the same as FL)

Yes, basically they are the same. However, some FL lenses have a raised "bump" on the rear, which prevent them from being mounted on adapters. One such example is the FL 35/2.5, as shown below (the portion surrounding the aperture lever):
Regreasing Canon FL 35/2.5 by scepticswe, on Flickr

I don't have one of the lenses with me, but I'm pretty sure my K&F Concepts adapters don't cover the part of the lens where the bump is located. I'll be glad to check when I get home this evening, if someone else hadn't already responded by then.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the FL 2.5/35, it mounts perfect on a NEX adapter. Not sure of the brands, I've had at least 3 and it fit all of them.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also own the FL 35/2.5. To mount to my NEX 7, I use a Fotasy brand FD-NEX adapter I bought on eBay.

I tried it on my FL 35mm just now, just to be sure I was remembering things correctly. The breechlock ring turns, but it does turn with some resistance. There is no evidence of metal to metal grinding or scratching, it just takes a bit of effort to turn the breechlock ring to a lock position. Same goes for the adapter's "Lock - Open" ring. It requires a bit of effort as well. But all works as it should, including the operation of the FL 35's diaphragm.

This might be a different story with the highly regarded FL 19mm f/3.5. I've read before that it has the same problem with adapters due to its hump. But I don''t know if its hump is the same as the 35's (in terms of height) or different.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to take the pin out of the adapter to mount my Canon FL 58mm f1.2 to my NEX. The lens has the dreaded hump. I'm only able to stop down using the preset-like ring. It has a very short turn to it but I've gotten used to it.

The only workable adapter is this one I think. I could be wrong.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Canon-FD-FL-lens-mount-to-Sony-NEX-E-mount-A7II-FS7-camera-ciecio7-adapter-/261484584849?hash=item3ce1b21f91:m:mpAsLtIF_eWUE0CRgIThkAw

I'm very budget minded, and have only one Canon FL lens with the hump, so I would never buy a 45 dollar adapter when I could buy another lens with that money! If there is a cheaper adapter that works with FL hump lenses I would like to know about it.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff Zen wrote:
I had to take the pin out of the adapter to mount my Canon FL 58mm f1.2 to my NEX. The lens has the dreaded hump. I'm only able to stop down using the preset-like ring. It has a very short turn to it but I've gotten used to it.

The only workable adapter is this one I think. I could be wrong.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Canon-FD-FL-lens-mount-to-Sony-NEX-E-mount-A7II-FS7-camera-ciecio7-adapter-/261484584849?hash=item3ce1b21f91:m:mpAsLtIF_eWUE0CRgIThkAw

I'm very budget minded, and have only one Canon FL lens with the hump, so I would never buy a 45 dollar adapter when I could buy another lens with that money! If there is a cheaper adapter that works with FL hump lenses I would like to know about it.

Someone said it does not works with 35 2.5.
http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/57113238

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:

Someone said it does not works with 35 2.5 back in 2013. Not sure if they have improve the design since then.
http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/52144478

Don't know for sure about this... I heard it worked. I don't think there is an easy solution otherwise except to remove pin and use preset ring to stop down.

Last edited by Jeff Zen on Sat Apr 09, 2016 1:23 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I knew I was posting this in the right place...you picked right up on the problem. The lens hump is right where the adapter pin is and they interfere. Don't know how many of the FL's have the same hump. I'm trying to adapt this to m4/3. This is not a problem for FD users, in case anyone becomes alarmed after reading this thread. So I gather the pin really isn't necessary to stop the lens down..is that what I'm reading here? I run manual lenses in stop down mode anyway, so the fix would be to just have one adapter dedicated to this lens and remove the pin. If I'm not reading this right and the pin is needed, I'll have to find a way to bend the pin or modify it for clearance. I just wasn't sure if there were any adapters that might have placed the pin closer to the back and would clear the hump. BTW, the above pics show the exact problem. Wonder why Canon used the hump only on certain lenses.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:

I've just checked - it works.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WithOpenedEyes wrote:
I knew I was posting this in the right place...you picked right up on the problem.

This issue needs to be examined here carefully. There is no reliable info at all on the net. Many FL hump-backed lenses are wonderful. The pin on my adapter simply unscrewed to remove. Others will probably need to be cut off. Buyers of adapters labeled FD/FL compatible need to beware!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's mine, it just fit the adapter without any modifying of pins or anything else.

No brand name on the adapter, it will be whatever was cheapest on ebay last year when I bought it.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the FL58/1.2 that has the hump and simply removed the pin(unscrewed),and that was from a M4/3 adapter...also, its easy that it is a preset lens.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff Zen wrote:
calvin83 wrote:

Someone said it does not works with 35 2.5 back in 2013. Not sure if they have improve the design since then.
http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/52144478

Don't know for sure about this... I heard it worked. I don't think there is an easy solution otherwise except to remove pin and use preset ring to stop down.

pavko wrote:
calvin83 wrote:

I've just checked - it works.

Good to hear that. I may order one later if I can't find a better adapter.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
There's mine, it just fit the adapter without any modifying of pins or anything else.

No brand name on the adapter, it will be whatever was cheapest on ebay last year when I bought it.

Very nice lenses. I'd say you were really lucky with that adapter. There are so many design variations with cheap adapters.
I've bought a few with unacceptable flaws, others that were perfect.

Could it be that the hump is more pronounced on some FL lenses than others, or were they all standardized? I haven't seen enough of these lenses to know.

There's a video here featuring the Canon FL 35mm 1:2.5 showing pin removal from an adapter. Simple process.
http://www.digimanie.cz/recenze-canon-fl-35mm-125-fl-fd/6234

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Jeff.

I wasn't aware of this issue before because mine simply worked. Good luck to everyone else in sorting this problem out.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK...It looks like removing the pin will be the way to go. On the Fotasy FD/FL adapter I have, the pin simply unscrews. If this goes according to plan, I'll run over to the hardware store and find a small metric screw to plug the hole. While the Ciecio7 adapter looks nicely made, I'm somewhat reluctant to spend $50 for the FD/FL to m4/3 model.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Jeff Zen"]I had to take the pin out of the adapter to mount my Canon FL 58mm f1.2 to my NEX. The lens has the dreaded hump. I'm only able to stop down using the preset-like ring. It has a very short turn to it but I've gotten used to it.

Same here. My FOTGA brand FD-NEX adapter (purchased through Amazon) uses a screw as its pin to actuate the aperture. This is handy in that it can be easily screwed out of the way to clear the hump when using the FL 58mm, and then screwed back in to work as it should when using a non-humped lens.

I've considered replacing the screw with bit of very stiff wire that could be bent in such a way as to accommodate both types of lenses, but it has hasn't annoyed me enough to try it. I've gotten accustomed to using the lens ring to stop down, as well.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I removed the pin in my adapter for my 35/2.5, I never replaced it, no real need to, since most all my FD lenses are pre-nFD, and they can all be set to a manual aperture mode, just push the aperture lever to the end of its slot and it will become held there.