Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Veiling Glare
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:58 am    Post subject: Veiling Glare Reply with quote

While cleaning the rear optics of my Tokyo Koki Tele-Tokina 135mm f/2.8, I noticed some of the black paint on the inside wiped off as well. I think this is causing a lot of veiling glare and blow-out (along with how old the optics are) in my pictures and was curious if anyone knew of a way to replace the black paint (permanent marker, a special black paint, etc.)?

Thanks in advance!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a pinch, I've used a black Sharpie permanent marker to cover the exposed surfaces successfully.
IMO, it helped with overall contrast.
If you can find a matte black marker, I think that would be better.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! I wasn't sure if a Sharpie would off-gas over time and cloud up the glass, figured I'd ask the experts here!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had asked a similar question here once and had received many good answers, see: http://forum.mflenses.com/which-black-paint-to-use-on-lens-element-t51079,highlight,%2Bblack+%2Bpaint.html

haven't had too much success with permanent marker, covering was better with various other 'dof' paints / inks that I have tried, e.g. local black ink as sold for school kids in Vietnam and a 'matte black' paint sold by Mamiya for it's model cars.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used permanent marker as that's all I have on hand/can afford right now (I'm a broke student, after all!). Will test it tomorrow!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kuuan wrote:
I had asked a similar question here once and had received many good answers, see: http://forum.mflenses.com/which-black-paint-to-use-on-lens-element-t51079,highlight,%2Bblack+%2Bpaint.html

haven't had too much success with permanent marker, covering was better with various other 'dof' paints / inks that I have tried, e.g. local black ink as sold for school kids in Vietnam and a 'matte black' paint sold by Mamiya for it's model cars.

I use the Mamiya paints, they do a nice satin black as well that is good for cameral and lens bodies.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sharpie worked a bit, but it's not matte enough to stop all internal reflections.