Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

So how do you pronounce "Rokkor" anyway?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:14 am    Post subject: So how do you pronounce "Rokkor" anyway? Reply with quote

I've heard it pronounced "row-cur" and "rocker." Anyone know for sure? I've lost countless nights of sleep wondering about this. Just kidding, no sleep lost, just curious. Smile

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps "lockol"?
Many Asians have troble with English "R". Wink

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nordentro wrote:
Perhaps "lockol"?

Laugh 1

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:39 am    Post subject: Re: So how do you pronounce "Rokkor" anyway? Reply with quote

Roka wrote:
I've heard it pronounced "row-cur" and "rocker."

That's weird, trying to invent a strange pronunciation for a word that's not even spelled strangely. I think rokkor is supposed to be pronounced just as it is written - rokkor.

Last edited by miran on Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:32 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are american pronunciations and they have always seemed very strange to me. I simply say Rock-or with rolling r's.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After my initial posting I decided to do some research. Nothing conclusive but one old thread had a posting explaining that it most likely would be pronounced "rock-core." Works for me. Smile

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just as it is written. At least it is not ZEISS which for many English speakers
should have to be written "ZIESS" to sound correct :LOL:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: So how do you pronounce "Rokkor" anyway? Reply with quote

Roka wrote:
I've heard it pronounced "row-cur" and "rocker." Anyone know for sure? I've lost countless nights of sleep wondering about this. Just kidding, no sleep lost, just curious. Smile

Rokkor should be pronounced as "LOKOR", in Japanese it's a mountain name behind Minolta Lens factory in Kobe.
Of course I can imagine that you Europeans cannot say it correctly, because it's Japanese... Laugh 1

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that bit of trivia.
I've always pronounced it ROKOR due to the R.

Now onto the next question...why the heck did they choose Celtic??

Laugh 1

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Copied from somewhere:

"Japanese brand names usually refer to names of cities, or areas ... and in this case the name of the mountain called Rokko. near Osaka. The "r" at the end of the name, was probably added to bring the name in line with Nikkor branded lenses."

"Minolta used the anglicized word Rokkor in reference to the location of one of its production plants on or near Mt. Rokkō, "Rokkō" being the Japanese pronunciation."

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russians would pronounce it Rakor , like Tayota or Dastoievski .

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's throw also Nikon in the mix Wink

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about...Fudgy(Fuji) Laugh 1

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always pronounced it ro-core.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nordentro wrote:
Perhaps "lockol"?

Good one!

<linguist>
It's mostly the Japanese, since they have neither the L nor the R in their phonological pronunciation. The Japanese will substitute either the L or the R with their closest phoneme, which is known as a "flapped r" -- the sound American English speakers make when they pronounce the central consonant in the word 'butter' or 'ladder.' So when a Japanese pronounces "fried rice" it comes out sounding something like 'flied lice,' but not quite. Try it, substituting the flapped r sound found in butter with the 'r' in fried rice. The Chinese have both the L and a highlly rotacized R. Think the "r' sound used by many country and western singers for the highly rotacized r. The Taiwanese have the L but not the highly rotacized R -- or any other r. So "flied lice" can be a Taiwanese pronunciation also. I dunno about the Koreans, Vietnamese, Cambodians, Indonesians, or the rest.

So anyway, the Japanese will pronouce "Rokkor" with the flapped r, long o, geminated /k/ sound (in other words, it's held longer), long o again, then the flapped r again, followed by a final /u/ sound. (Japanese words must end in vowels or the consonant /n/.)

The Taiwanese will pronounce it -- most likely -- as /l/ long o sound /k/ long o sound, possibly drawn out some at the end.

The Chinese will most likely pronounce it as /l/ long o /k/ long o [highly rotacized r] (I don't think they can use this highly rotacized r in word initial position.

When I bracket speech sounds by the "/" symbol, this means it's their actual pronunciation (in English).

</linguist>

Finally, I pronounce "rokkor" as RO-core

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I pronounce it "optical quality".

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

memetph wrote:

Dastaievski!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: So how do you pronounce "Rokkor" anyway? Reply with quote

Roka wrote:

I've always said Rock Core (accent on first syllable) and Zeese. Laughing In 4th grade I read "determined" and said "deeter minded".

How is Roka pronounced? Smile

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Filipinos say "Pentax" perfectly well. OK, maybe sometimes it comes out "Bentak"
On the other hand they will say "Boitlander" and "Seiss"

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting topic Smile

Slavs pronounce Rokkor using:

-single letter 'k'
-letter 'r' - as 'r' in word 'run' but with Russian-like accent
-letter 'o' - as 'o' in word 'cloth'
-letter 'k' - as 'q' in word 'queen'

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alex ph wrote:
memetph wrote:

Dastaievski!

Do, provdo ! I am confused , I think I drunk too much vadko !

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minalto Rakor then Wink

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may like this article:

How English language became such a mess
James Harbeck investigates why the English language became so hard to spell – and why we only have ourselves to blame.

http://www.bbc.com/culture/story/20150605-your-language-is-sinful

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gerald wrote:
You may like this article:

How English language became such a mess
James Harbeck investigates why the English language became so hard to spell – and why we only have ourselves to blame.

http://www.bbc.com/culture/story/20150605-your-language-is-sinful

Good article! Thanks for sharing. I was particularly fascinated by the "Great Vowel Shift" from the mid-1400s through 1700. Must have been riotous times indeed! Wink

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Language is a complex world. Some say American English is more similar to how English was pronounced in England five centuries ago. Old Norse is similar to Icelandic, while todays Norwegians has a Danish writen form pronounced very different from how they speak in Denmark, which again has strong bounds to German, Dutch and English, while the Swedish language is strongly influenced by french and most western countries has quite a big piece of latin in different variations too...

It is a mess... Laugh 1