Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Industar 61L/3 vs volna-9 - macro comparison
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:56 am    Post subject: Industar 61L/3 vs volna-9 - macro comparison Reply with quote

camera apsc fuji s3 pro:

volna f2.8

industar f2.8

volna f4

industar f4

volna f5.6

industar f5.6

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Considering price comparison and results I prefer the Industar. Some shots with mine all WO.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a difficult choice when I was looking to get one or the other, and eventually went with the Industar. It's a lovely lens, and sharp too...

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree Hugh,I hadn't used mine for years as I have quite a selection of macro lenses and decided to take it for a ride and was pleasantly surprised.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Volna has better bokeh and drawing Wink
I prefer the Volna over the Industar

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bokeh is fine on the Industar - the below was a bit of a rush job, hence the wrong aperture for the image, but wide open it's nice and sharp...

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Smooth Hugh.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bokeh depends of the scene and the optical formula. The Industar is a simple Tessar 4/4 while the Volna has a more sophisticated 6/5 scheme Wink f/2.8 standard lenses are typically based on 3 (triplets) or 4 (tessars) elements. That is enough for good correction in focal plane, but OOF area isn't that nice. The Volna is also much better corrected for CA and has a better MFD.

It is more to lenses than just being sharp!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nordentro wrote:
The Volna is also much better corrected for CA and has a better MFD.

Like 1 small

Neverless, both are great lenses for the money.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nordentro wrote:
Bokeh depends of the scene and the optical formula. The Industar is a simple Tessar 4/4 while the Volna has a more sophisticated 6/5 scheme Wink f/2.8 standard lenses are typically based on 3 (triplets) or 4 (tessars) elements. That is enough for good correction in focal plane, but OOF area isn't that nice. The Volna is also much better corrected for CA and has a better MFD.

It is more to lenses than just being sharp!

What Lars said! Like 1 small

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bokeh is good enough for me..

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

volna-9 + eos 300D, @F5.6

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice shot Siudym
About the choice I-61 vs Volna-9, I choose none of them.
The I-61 is good, but there are a lot of other soviet 50mm that I like better.
Volna is certainly better for macro (begining with its better MFD), but I never really found it interesting too use.

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Volna works quite well as nifty fifty too when called upon to do so.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have the industar but this is the Volna

matching Bokeh by The lens profile, on Flickr

Don't forget about the star bokeh
starlet by The lens profile, on Flickr

As you can see bokeh isn't very pretty stopped down, but hey there are stars!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The aperture shape is problematic for me. For those who want stars that's not the case obviously, but macro lenses will often be used stopped down at least a bit. I wish they had a different version with more aperture blades and round bokeh, like Russians often did (Tair 135mm, Jupiter tele lenses, Helios with 13 blades...). Very nice lens otherwise, Industar is not that bad either (more primitive formulae doesn't mean lesser rendering, that's a matter of taste for me).

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just researching the Volna 9 last week. I really want interested in a MF macro lens, but I really like the star bokeh! That plus it's a pretty sharp 50mm that can be used for portrait sold me. I'm now on the hunt for a good copy!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm now on the hunt for a good copy!

I have one for sale...

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both lenses seem interesting to me. But you need 100% crops to decide on sharpness.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mr_tibbs2004 wrote:
I was just researching the Volna 9 last week. I really want interested in a MF macro lens, but I really like the star bokeh! That plus it's a pretty sharp 50mm that can be used for portrait sold me. I'm now on the hunt for a good copy!

They both have ninja star bokeh. But be carefull, early models of Industar-61 (until 1971) don't have this prononced ninja star shaped diaph opening.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have both lenses (actually two of Volna-9) and I like Volna-9 much more than the Industar. While the Industar is not bad as a macro lens and I often use it to take photos of my lenses, the Volna is much better as all-round lens. I like its bokeh wide open

P1080513 by Manichaean1234, on Flickr

P1080508 by Manichaean1234, on Flickr

P1080505 by Manichaean1234, on Flickr

Industar gives more "technical" picure IMO.