Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Early Pre War f1.3 Cine Lenses
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 7:09 pm    Post subject: Early Pre War f1.3 Cine Lenses Reply with quote

I know of 4 pre war 1" f1.3 Cine lenses:
Schneider Xenon 25mm f1.3 Early brass and chrome
Dallmeyer 1" f1.3 circa 1920s
LAACK Cine Polyxentar 1" f1.3
Cooke Kinic 1" f1.3 and Super speed panchro..I dont own a copy of either of theses lenses but I have seen them.
...are there others?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are extraordinary items.

F/1.4 was rather fast until up into the 1980s, the only technical progress was coating.
Kinoptik still makes six-element double-Gauss systems not wider open than f/1.4, so
f/1.3 is really remarkable. It took the industry about 40 years to remedy the aberrations
at f/1.3 to f/1.1 with Cooke, Zeiss, and Kern apochromatic lenses but those are very
expensive. I am right now giving a Switar 50mm f/1.4 an overhaul, also a 1-2-2-1 system,
and it is my understanding that it doesn’t afford better pictures than what you can expect
from your f/1.3 lenses.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be German blunt, I'm rather quite restrictive on sharing my know how
with someone who seemingly not contributes here, but rather rakes in
valuable information to enhance his ebay selling results... Wink

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don’t think the information given by me will help any eBay seller enhance profits since it still takes a little more to fully appreciate a c-mount lens’ qualities. What on earth would make a micro 4/3rd camera user understand anything of pre-war lenses for 16-mm film? Prices are totally irrational these days, I mean $1,500 for an Yvar 150 mm is nothing but a rip-off. That’s a triplet. Three single lenses in an aluminum tube!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

screwunscrew wrote:
I don’t think the information given by me will help any eBay seller enhance profits since it still takes a little more to fully appreciate a c-mount lens’ qualities. What on earth would make a micro 4/3rd camera user understand anything of pre-war lenses for 16-mm film? Prices are totally irrational these days, I mean $1,500 for an Yvar 150 mm is nothing but a rip-off. That’s a triplet. Three single lenses in an aluminum tube!

I wasn't adressing you....

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No idea. However, there is no practical difference between a F1.3 and F1.4 lens. Wink

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No one should expect pristine and sharp pictures with the smallest f-numbers. These 'fast' lenses are made as a trade-off between available light, fixed shutter speeds of the cine cameras and slow film emulsions of the time. An individual frame shot wide open with these lenses may not look good and sharp in sub-gauge film, but a projected picture with moving subjects is good enough.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Klaus...no worries, not everything is for sale.

I have my own collection and also use them everyday.