Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Canon EF to Sony FE (full-frame E) AF-converter
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 9:59 am    Post subject: Canon EF to Sony FE (full-frame E) AF-converter Reply with quote

Since i have the Sony A7 i'm more and more thinking about a complete switch to the FE system.

But: there's not much choice in lenses yet, selling my Canon lenses will not buy me equal lenses for the A7.

So i thought about a converter for my Canon EF-L lenses to start off with and then slowly buy FE lenses and make the move step by step.

Anybody here have any experiences with such a converter? I'd like to know how much AF speed you really loose and if there are any other problems or annoying differences.

Thanks!!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*subscribes to thread*

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The original A7 is not very good with AF on most adapter/lens combo. Some lens will AF slowly(sometimes may fail), some even won't AF or even not supported. You need check the adapter compatibility before you buy an adapter.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meanwhile i found this link with interesting videos about 3 adapters.
If this is the case they are no option for me. I need my 70-200 L for shooting my wife in sports, which i do regularly with the 5D.

So i think i will probably start selling some of the Canon stuff and start with Sony's 70-200 f/4 OSS lens, then add a Zeiss 24-70 in time. The Canon primes i have, i wonder if i will miss them because i have so many manual prime lenses and for the type of shooting i do with them i don't feel i need AF.

Still in doubt though........

Here's the link: https://www.slrlounge.com/comparing-canon-ef-sony-fe-af-adapters-metabones-commlite-fotodiox/

Picture from today's competition with 5D and 70-200 L. (they came in 2nd!)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TrueLoveOne wrote:
Meanwhile i found this link with interesting videos about 3 adapters.
If this is the case they are no option for me. I need my 70-200 L for shooting my wife in sports, which i do regularly with the 5D.

So i think i will probably start selling some of the Canon stuff and start with Sony's 70-200 f/4 OSS lens, then add a Zeiss 24-70 in time. The Canon primes i have, i wonder if i will miss them because i have so many manual prime lenses and for the type of shooting i do with them i don't feel i need AF.

Still in doubt though........

Here's the link: https://www.slrlounge.com/comparing-canon-ef-sony-fe-af-adapters-metabones-commlite-fotodiox/

Picture from today's competition with 5D and 70-200 L. (they came in 2nd!)

Nice pic !
Stay with Canon !
Sorry to say this but you allready know this , for really serious job like sports photography , Sony still lags behind and it still be doing this since they abandoned the old shure path...
Just my oppinion , but shure yours too somewhere deep inside , otherwise you were allready converted. And the 70-200L is too good to give it away .
But if this itch persists ,can't you just rent the sony gear for a week and test it extensively to compare with the Canon?
The big problem being the IQ and the ability to fast focus and tracking focus ,I think?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teo wrote:

Nice pic !
Stay with Canon !
But if this itch persists ,can't you just rent the sony gear for a week and test it extensively to compare with the Canon?
The big problem being the IQ and the ability to fast focus and tracking focus ,I think?

Thank you!

I think i will ask my local shop if they will let me try a Sony FE tele.

It's not the IQ i'm afraid about, the Sony 70-200 OSS gets good reviews, but indeed: the AF speed is what worries me most. And no matter how old the Canon 5D is, it's still going strong and gives good and consistent results!
Canon has been and still is leader when it comes to fast (tracking) AF if you ask me... i see most Canon gear at sports events.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need both a good camera and good lens to have decent tracking ability no matter which brand you use. Sony is not as good as the Canon when it come to focus tracking in spots, but the Sony has it own strength. If you have try the eye AF tracking in the latest camera https://youtu.be/Am50dabC0Bs , you will be amazed by how easy nailing the focus to the eyes when you are using fast lenses. Wink

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TrueLoveOne wrote:
but indeed: the AF speed is what worries me most. And no matter how old the Canon 5D is, it's still going strong and gives good and consistent results!
Canon has been and still is leader when it comes to fast (tracking) AF if you ask me... i see most Canon gear at sports events.

That's the point ! I really don't know the 7series , I hear that the 6000 series allready have fast focus but I don't like the quarter style biggish focusing areas ,preferingg point focusing areas as dslr do .