Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Is this a 'Real' Sonnar 1.5/50?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, both the red triangle and the front barrell leters looks faky. Not mentioning the mount.

The more interesting question would be does the seller know (thus fraudulent) or does he just re-sell it without barely having a clue about.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marek wrote:
Yes, both the red triangle and the front barrell leters looks faky. Not mentioning the mount.

The more interesting question would be does the seller know (thus fraudulent) or does he just re-sell it without barely having a clue about.

No idea there. I went through the other lenses the seller has on ebay. They all look authentic. It's a bottom feeder's grab bag though. Old lenses with assorted strange mounts, many look like they were designed for permanent lens cameras so would need unique adapters. If I had to guess this guy buys at flea markets, bonnet sales etc., possibly in job lots, and sees so much strange junk that nothing grabs his attention as real or fake. Just list it starting at a Euro and let the market decide.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

newst wrote:
Marek wrote:
A fake too, guys - or a mongrel?

In my admittedly not expert opinion, a fake.

1. It says it is a Zeiss Jena lens but the red T mark is a Zeiss Opton coating trademark, Jena couldn't use it.

Carl Zeiss Jena has been using the red T mark even during the war - i own several coated civilian wartime lenses from Carl Zeiss Jena, among them two 1.5/5cm Sonnars and a 2.8/3.5cm Biotar. They were sold during war time to neutral countries such as Switzerland and Sweden. Two of them are shown here: http://www.artaphot.ch/zeiss/objektive/203-sonnar-5cm-1-1-5.

Stephan

EDIT: obviously Carl Zeiss Jena was using the red T mark also during the 1950s; see image attached (image from Internet, not my own)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Capital M vs small m on the focus scale is one clue.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightshow wrote:
Capital M vs small m on the focus scale is one clue.

Of course i also think the lens shown in the first is a fake. I only wanted to clarify that the red T mark was used by Carl Zeiss Jena (pre-war), by Zeiss Opton/Oberkochen and by Carl Zeiss Jena (after the war).

Stephan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought I'd share this picture from a local auction site. Looks fake to me, but this is a first time I see a cutout at the distance marking on the outside.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen several Sonnar 5cm F1.5's "cobbled together" immediately after the war. They are not "fakes", but not regular production lenses. This latest lens may fall into that category, you would need a closer inspection. The original lens shown from 2016 looks like a Jupiter-3. 20 years from now the 50 or so 5cm F1.5 Sonnars that I've converted to Leica mount using a J-3 focus mount will be giving people fits trying to determine the origin.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.klassik-cameras.de/Zeiss_Fakes.html

According to this, if the distance marking is marked with M, it is a fake, but it could be wrong.