Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

The TrekPod has arrived!
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:52 am    Post subject: The TrekPod has arrived! Reply with quote

Was looking for a way to utilize a pair of trek poles for use as a tripod while out in the boonies. Came up with this contraption for about half an hours' work. I call it the TrekPod.

Parts needed: A small piece of 1/2-thick wood, a 1/4x20 machine bolt and nut, a short piece of paracord, a 1/2" unibit and a small ballhead.

I drilled two holes into the wood with the unibit at an angle in two directions. This will allow the trek poles to spread out just like tripod legs.

I then drilled a 1/4" though the board for the machine bolt, taking a 1/2" bit to back-drill the 'top' of the TrekPod so the nut will recess flush with the board.

Then a little sanding, and install the ballhead.

The principle of this design is to use the two adjustable trek poles I have as two legs of a tripod. The third 'leg' is a piece of scrap paracord, securely anchored to something.

With this method, I can use the paracord,

and tie off to anything solid or steady.

Makes for a very stable platform for my P7100, which is my camera of choice when weight is an issue.

If there's something solid enough handy, and the camera can lean against it instead, there's no need for the paracord.

If need be, the entire setup can be 'freestanding', using a log, rock or similar weight.

And as a bonus, the TrekPod alone can be useful even without the trek poles and paracord!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WELL DONE Like 1

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. I am going to Iceland in a couple of months and need a tripod, but don't want to carry one. I don't want to carry two trek poles either. But, this has got the creative juices going now, the combination of legs and cord attached to the wooden plate is interesting. I'm sure it will inspire me. Thanks.

I am making a 'steadicam' for my Gopro. I don't know if it's appropriate for this forum but I'll post pics when it's ready.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

philslizzy wrote:
Interesting. I am going to Iceland in a couple of months and need a tripod, but don't want to carry one. I don't want to carry two trek poles either. But, this has got the creative juices going now, the combination of legs and cord attached to the wooden plate is interesting. I'm sure it will inspire me. Thanks.

I am making a 'steadicam' for my Gopro. I don't know if it's appropriate for this forum but I'll post pics when it's ready.

You can always run a cord through a ¼x20 eyebolt threaded into a camera, and stand on the two ends with your feet, pulling up on the cord to tighten it.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

480sparky wrote:
philslizzy wrote:

You can always run a cord through a ¼x20 eyebolt threaded into a camera, and stand on the two ends with your feet, pulling up on the cord to tighten it.

Absolutely.....tension is nearly as good as support.