Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Moscow in black and white with CZJ Biotar 58mm f2
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:10 pm    Post subject: Moscow in black and white with CZJ Biotar 58mm f2 Reply with quote

Hi,

this was my first holiday with my Fuji X-t10. I bought a cheap CZJ Biotar 58mm f2 in a second-hand shop in Moscow for 4500 rubles.
Pictures are shot using Fuji B&W and went through some light refinement in post with Lightroom.

Focusing was a bit of a problem at the beginning as focusing ring and aperture ring are very close and besides that they are in inverted order (well at least this is how am used to with the Nikkor lenses). Overally I like the lens and I find it a good choice for BW photography.

N

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice series.

How ironic that you are in Moscow using the CZJ Biotar and not its Soviet equivalent, the Helios 44.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

newst wrote:
Very nice series.

How ironic that you are in Moscow using the CZJ Biotar and not its Soviet equivalent, the Helios 44.

Thanks.
Indeed the plan was to buy there a few soviet lenses (see my previous post). I ended up instead buying the mentioned Biotar and the CZJ Sonnar 135mm f3.5.
However I found a Uran 27 for less then 50$, which I should get in the next weeks.

Cheers from snowy Zurich.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked These are really nice examples showing off lens capabilities (& photographer skills Wink)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks.
The X-t10 is an excellent camera for black and white photography. You can set the viewfinder in BW and import the pictures so that the BW profile is automatically applied. So you can have a full BW workflow from before before it clicks to the final jpeg. Besides that it is very easy to use and change lenses with different mounts, provided you have the right adapter. Focal length reducers give you yet another degree of freedom as you can have 2 focal lengths with a single lens.

That said I am not going to abandon Nikon any soon. The X-t10 is slow, and when I say slow I mean not only the focusing system but also how you operate it. For example changing the focusing point requires you to push on the shutter release button in order to get out the focus point selection modus. Also, say I have pre-focused on a branch and I am waiting that a bird flies in the scene, when I finally click to freeze the bird in the position I like I discover with disappointment that the bird is not there where it was when I clicked.

Just sharing my impressions with you, it might well be that I am not doing it correctly as I am knew to the mirrorless system

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. Long time since I have heard about the shutter delay of mirrorless cameras. I suspected the delay with newer cameras was made more short. Now I wonder have people only gotten used to it.

I wonder small point. When bird shutter was clicked were you looking at viewfinder or at actual scene? I.e., is viewfinder showing delayed scene?

Somebody please tell us the shutter delay of NEX & Alpha is not a problem?