Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Carl Zeiss Jena Olympia Sonnar 2.8/180 with Nikon F mount?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:18 am    Post subject: Carl Zeiss Jena Olympia Sonnar 2.8/180 with Nikon F mount? Reply with quote

Hello guys. Just wanted to ask your opinion about this Olympia Sonnar 2.8/180 :

According to the serial #2757558 it was made in 1941 year, it's coated version with red T and it has 18 aperture iris blades.
Glass is good for it's age.
But what is strange it has Nikon F mount. I've tried to find similliar version on the Internet but I couldn't. It has different body comparing to other Olympia Sonnars.
And what is curious about It - Nikon F mount? Because it seems it is not adapted and was made on the factory.

Unfortunately I don't have yet Nikon-F to Sony-E mount adapter so I can test it with my Sony-A7 (but I think I'll buy It soon).
But I've try to test it on friends old SLR Nikon D3000 - and It fits well, It focus well on Infinity, so flange distance is really for Nikon cameras Smile
So It could be used with most digital cameras throgh necessary adapter, which is nice.

Anyway, just wanted to ask does someone met such version of Olympia Sonnar?
Because I didn't Smile
Earlier I had few later Zebra and MC Sonnars 2.8 180 for Pentacon Six.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like someone replaced a Nikon bayonet on it. I did this for several Leica R lenses, and C/Y Zeiss lenses (MM versions, not AEG).
Haven't heard could replace one on Zeiss Jena lenses. I know in some Asian countries, they can change many bayonets to Nikon F mount.
www.leitax.com

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's not a version of the Sonnar. The optics were housed in a well-made DIY-housing!
Anyway interesting!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DIY house sadly, no collector value, lens may has many issues , may not, pretty old real charm is genuine condition, this is may not offer much to you.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi alex ks
im sort of interested in this, do you have more pictures related to the housing? Ive been trying to construct something to this but for m42 for my own version of the sonnar.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all for the comments. I had some doubts about It, however lens body constructed really well. Glass seems to be original (has many bubbles like old CZJ Biotar's from 1940-1950s), so as the aperture with 19 blades Smile
I've ordered Nikon-F to Sony-E adapter today, so I believe I'll able to test It with my Sony-A7 this week. Unfortunately weather is not so good still here in Kiev Sad

BTW, here are few samples which were made on Carl Zeiss Jena Sonnar 2.8/180 Zebra P6 mount on Sony-A7 few weeks ago (all at f/2.8 ):

At least I have some samples to compare It with this wierd Sonnar Laugh 1

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

davidblue1984 wrote:
hi alex ks
im sort of interested in this, do you have more pictures related to the housing? Ive been trying to construct something to this but for m42 for my own version of the sonnar.

That's no problem, I can make few more photos of the lens body if necessary.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank so much...

I believe the main lens part has the same threading in back, so its really a question of seeing whether the custom housing was taken from another lens i don't know about, or perhaps it was built entirely custom.