Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

4 Mamiya standard lenses at infinity
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2022 5:23 pm    Post subject: 4 Mamiya standard lenses at infinity Reply with quote

Contestants:
- Mamiya EF 50mm f/1.4
- Mamiya EF 50mm f/1.7
- Mamiya SX 55mm f/1.8
- Mamiya/Sekor 50mm f/2

Camera: Sony A7RII

First the fastest lens wide open:
comp14 by devoscasper, on Flickr

Solid center performance at this setting with relatively good contrast and good detail.

The 2 second fastest lenses wide open:
com1718 by devoscasper, on Flickr

Like the EF f/1.4, solid performance in the center of the EF f/1.7. The SX 55/1.8 has good detail as well, but is more glowy.

The lenses @ f/2:
comp2 by devoscasper, on Flickr

Cleanest center crops from both EF lenses. The corners of the EF 50/1.4 look best.

Then, f/2.8:
comp28 by devoscasper, on Flickr

This confirms what Stephan already established: the corners of the EF 50/1.4 are remarkably good at this setting.
Center crops of all lenses look pretty crispy by now.

f/4:
comp4 by devoscasper, on Flickr

f/5.6:
comp56 by devoscasper, on Flickr

f/8:
comp8 by devoscasper, on Flickr

Corners look near perfect now of the EF 50/1.4. The SX 55/1.8 and M/S 50/2 really good as well. The EF 50/1.7 weakest in this regard.

f/11:
comp11 by devoscasper, on Flickr

All lenses sharp now from center to the corners. The image of the EF 50/1.4 remains superior. I'm pretty sure I have no other standard lens in my collection that matches its corner performance.

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2022 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

recognisable cool colour balance from the 50/2

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you just go on a mamiya spending spree?

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

D1N0 wrote:

Some old coatings get a bit weird with AWB on Sony sensors.
I get similar on the odd occasion with older glass on the D-810, which is another Sony sensor.

-D.S.

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cbass wrote:

No, this was already on the shelve 😊

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

D1N0 wrote:

Indeed, I have an older M/S 55/1.8 (non SX) that has a similar CB.

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the Mamiya SX 1.8 55 is like the other 1.8/55s from Pentax, Petri, Fuji et al, then it would be the one I would choose, not because of any outstanding technical proficiency, but for it's characterful rendering that I find far more pleasing aesthetically than the more sterile character of the more highly corrected later 50s.

That is the great failing of these imperical tests - they focus purely on the technical and ignore the aesthetics of the rendering, the character of the lens, and for me, that is what really matters above all.

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
If the Mamiya SX 1.8 55 is like the other 1.8/55s from Pentax, Petri, Fuji et al, then it would be the one I would choose, not because of any outstanding technical proficiency, but for it's characterful rendering that I find far more pleasing aesthetically than the more sterile character of the more highly corrected later 50s.

That is the great failing of these imperical tests - they focus purely on the technical and ignore the aesthetics of the rendering, the character of the lens, and for me, that is what really matters above all.

I agree, I usually like more the rendering of 55mm and 58mm lenses (at least for closer focus objects where bokeh comes into play). I’m however planning some hikes for the summer holidays where I expect to shoot quite a few landscape images at infinity where corners do matter. So I’m still in the process of choosing my ideal set of hiking lenses for this purpose, hence the huge number of infinity tests from my hand lately.

Last edited by caspert79 on Tue May 10, 2022 9:54 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, these tests do indeed make a lot of sense from the point of view of selecting a lens for landscape work. Good luck with your search, I don't have any recommendations as I generally use less than FF sized sensors and small apertures like f11 for landscape work, so it all becomes a bif of a moot point as most lenses will work fine in such cinditions. On my FF Sony a850, I'd probably use my Planar T* 1.7/50 for it's superior microcontrast which helps when shooting through things far away - helps bring out the tiny details in landscapes. Another lens I do find very good for such things is the humble plastic Zenitar 2/50, it is very sharp with very good microcontrast, and weighs so little it can fit in any pocket.

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Yes, these tests do indeed make a lot of sense from the point of view of selecting a lens for landscape work. Good luck with your search, I don't have any recommendations as I generally use less than FF sized sensors and small apertures like f11 for landscape work, so it all becomes a bif of a moot point as most lenses will work fine in such cinditions. On my FF Sony a850, I'd probably use my Planar T* 1.7/50 for it's superior microcontrast which helps when shooting through things far away - helps bring out the tiny details in landscapes. Another lens I do find very good for such things is the humble plastic Zenitar 2/50, it is very sharp with very good microcontrast, and weighs so little it can fit in any pocket.

Thanks for the tips; they feed my GAS though Wink

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:
cbass wrote:

Well I saw a bid for an M-S lens with little fungus though Laugh 1 Success

BTW is the barn in the corner at the left side of the farm? Edit, already answered by your Minolta testing thread, so left side. For 50mm landscapes on the A7RII I use the Olympus OM 50mm 1.4 with a SN above 600K. In the 50 fifties tests on "The Other Side of Bokeh" site it scores very good too.

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ernst Dinkla wrote:
caspert79 wrote:
cbass wrote:

Well I saw a bid for an M-S lens with little fungus though Laugh 1 Success

BTW is the barn in the corner at the left side of the farm? Edit, already answered by your Minolta testing thread, so left side. For 50mm landscapes on the A7RII I use the Olympus OM 50mm 1.4 with a SN above 600K. In the 50 fifties tests on "The Other Side of Bokeh" site it scores very good too.

Yes, that’s the one 😊 have to check out the condition first. Thanks for the zuiko tip 👍