Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Hexanon 2.8/24 vs. MC.W.Rokkor 2.8/24
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:00 pm    Post subject: Hexanon 2.8/24 vs. MC.W.Rokkor 2.8/24 Reply with quote

The topic about the Minolta MC.W.Rokkor (Leica) lens made me curious about the performance of the Konica Hexanon counterpart. I never did a direct lens-to-lens comparison before, so this is the first time for me.

Well, i took them both out to a quiet place, set up the tripod with the A7 in aperture priority mode and started a small series of pictures to get a direct comparison between the 2 lenses.

All pictures are jpg straight out of the camera, no corrections at all.

1. Hexanon @ f/5.6

2. MC.W.Rokkor @ f/5.6

3. Hexanon @ f/8

4. MC.W.Rokkor @ f/8

5. Hexanon @ f/8

6. MC.W.Rokkor @ f/8

7. Hexanon @ f/11

8. MC.W.Rokkor @ f/11

9. Hexanon @ f/4

10. MC.W.Rokkor @ f/4

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice job Like Dog

hexanon's pic are a bit yellowish (wb problem?) and also in the last pics focus point aren't the same (the number on boat is way more on focus in hexanon's pic) .

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately those shots do not always allow to check the quality in the corners and the sides.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 1:55 am    Post subject: Re: Hexanon 2.8/24 vs. MC.W.Rokkor 2.8/24 Reply with quote

TrueLoveOne wrote:
The topic about the Minolta MC.W.Rokkor (Leica) lens made me curious about the performance of the Konica Hexanon counterpart. I never did a direct lens-to-lens comparison before, so this is the first time for me.

[/url]

Like 1 GOOD!!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raxar wrote:

in the last pics focus point aren't the same (the number on boat is way more on focus in hexanon's pic) .

I focused on the signs "verboden te vissen", so i think this is a difference in how it remders out-of-focus areas.

memetph wrote:
Unfortunately those shots do not always allow to check the quality in the corners and the sides.

You're right. I uploaded large versions, but they seem to be re-sized on MFL. I will make some crops when i get home tonight!

Thanks all, cheers René!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job! That Hexanon is quite good!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My copy of the Hexanon 24/2.8 behaves pretty much the same as 9/7 24/2.8 Rokkors,though it has more pronounced field curvature and cooler,uglier to me,colours.All in all,at f11 it is difficult to tell them apart.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which version of the Hexanon 24/2.8 is this? There are two optically totally different versions.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

memetph wrote:

The evaluation should be made with the lens in full aperture, when the effect of aberrations is maximum. For small apertures, the performance of a lens is usually limited by sensor resolution or diffraction of light.

In this case, even for maximum aperture presented, F5.6, a difference of resolution is visible at the edges. Click on the images 1 and 2 to see them at a 100% scale. Both lenses are equally good in the center, but they suffer from a certain amount of decentering, which manisfests itself as a difference of resolution at the edges. The Hexanon is sharp on the left and soft on the right. The Rokkor has opposite behavior: soft on the left and sharp the right.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good job.

Thanks for sharing

Everybody knows here because the pics posted in the last years (3/6 years) the the problems with the rokkor are the soft borders from f/2,8 to f/@9 and the lateral CA and it does not dessapear closing the aperture.

The rest can be called like good IQ.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually,when stopped down on the 24 or 36Mpix FF,the problem is minimized to the extent that doesn't really matter in the real life.At least to me.The nastier corner/far side softness I noticed with the 9/7,24/2.8 Rokkors was on the original NEX5.
Wink

BTW: I still prefer the overall Minolta Rokkors 9/7,24/2.8 image look versus 24/2.8 Canons - SSC and nFD,Canon nFD 24/2.0,Nikkor AIS 24/2.8 and 24/2.0,Olympus OM 24/2.8 and 24/2.0,Konica AE 24/2.8,Yashica ML 24/2.8,Pentax K 24/2.8,Sigma II 24/2.8,that are parts of my hoard.However,there are some lenses of similar fl,regarded on par,by the image look,like Distagons MM C/Y 25/2.8,Distagons 25/2.8 and 25/2.0 Z series and Elmarit R 24/2.8.All that on the Sony A7/R.

Post scriptum: I like the Minolta MD 24/2.8,but I take it out only,when I want to have my napsack ligt.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pontus wrote:
Which version of the Hexanon 24/2.8 is this? There are two optically totally different versions.

This is the AE f/16 version. (8/8, the f/22 is also an 8/8 design but indeed very different)

Gerald wrote:
....even for maximum aperture presented, F5.6....

Last 2 shots were made at f/4.
About the decentering: i think some amount is always apparent in most old lenses. We now have the capability of shooting with them on high-MP cameras and we can blow up details on our screen to sizes that the designers back in the days would have never thought possible.....
So, if i am going to make crops, what parts of the pics do i take?
My Tokina 17mm showed a large amount of decentering on FF, noticed by a member here on the forum when i opened a topic about it. I had never noticed it before.

my 2 cents:
Most people don't do serious pixel-peeping, like me, for me it's the whole image that counts. But it is nice to know that the lens you're using is a capable one and that this forum gives us the platform to discuss them!

I like both lenses, although i hardly use the Konica. For some reason i always grab the Minolta, by seeing these shots i feel it's really hard to tell the difference and there is no reason to prefer the Minolta above the Konica.

They are both good! For some reason i thought the differences between them would be bigger, but they just aren't!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah pretty darn close on my monitor. I would take either. (and likely will take both, when I get a "deal")

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the earlier larger version of the Konica and it's one of the best lenses I own.