Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Carl Zeiss Biotar 75mm f1.5 lens Versions (arrived w/haze)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty crappy piece, now it's definitive. Also with coating layers probably to be fucked up in the edges, causing soft corners as well as dropping the lens value. Return that propostrous purchase

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Marek!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Youre're welcome. Was Mr. Nasty (seller) okay with the return? Very Happy The more I check your photos the more I believe in general crappiness of that unfortunate item Whoo Turtle

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update on this lens:
Seller offered partial refund for repairing. After consulted with a local repair shop, I accepted the offer though I knew it's a gambling. Mike (shop owner, Leica trained in 60s) opened it and cleaned the marks. According to his call today, the coating wasn't etched, but there are some light scratches on the front element (inside, someone opened it and tried to fix it), which will not affect the quality of the images. How lucky... Just anxious to get it back...

Last edited by cellotone on Wed Mar 02, 2016 12:09 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marek, a repairmen here helping to clean it. Seller issued partial refund. It's mess inside, haze, oily blades, stiffness with both rings... Seller seems didn't know how to check it.
Thank you, I will let you know how is the repairing.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike didn't know whether the coating was etched or not before working on it. But he said since the marks were on the rear element, probably is not as bad as if the haze, fungus were on the front element. That made me to make the wager on it.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haze, as everything CLAble in general, is tolerable, definitely more welcomed than any kind of scratches, not mentioning about coating damage. If major stuff is CLAble and some refund offered, all might be okay in the end I guess. My serviceman sometimes does wonders with the lens if the optics is okay.

You can never determine true item condition from photos. Often you even need an UV lamp. That's pretty much why any e-purchase is gamble. Sometimes you gamble well and st. not. This, I think, slowly raises with your experience (you're never 100% safe though unless you aim on TOP condition lenses from collections).

I almost only care about coatings and scratches nowadays, plus no missing mechanical parts, since the rest is more or less doable, and to read so many item descriptions (often wrong ones) is boring. Haze, oxidation, stiff rings, sometimes even messed up aperture blades, that's basically CLA-friendly fun-stuff.

Best luck anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cellotone wrote:
Update on this lens:
Seller offered partial refund for repairing. After consulted with a local repair shop, I accepted the offer though I knew it's a gambling. Mike (shop owner, Leica trained in 60s) opened it and cleaned the marks. According to his call today, the coating wasn't etched, but there are some light scratches on the front element (inside, someone opened it and tried to fix it), which will not affect the quality of the images. How lucky... Just anxious to get it back...

Like Dog great news!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cellotone wrote:
Mike didn't know whether the coating was etched or not before working on it. But he said since the marks were on the rear element, probably is not as bad as if the haze, fungus were on the front element. That made me to make the wager on it.

Marks on the rear element are the worst actually as it is much closer to the sensor and gets often visible, much less worse on the front element!

For that price paid, I would return it...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
cellotone wrote:

Marks on the rear element are the worst actually as it is much closer to the sensor and gets often visible, much less worse on the front element!

For that price paid, I would return it...

I think Mike meant that even the rear lens coating was damaged is not as bad as if the front element coating were damaged (front element coating is more important??). Mike's charge is very reasonable. I keep my fingers crossed. Rolling Eyes
Thanks Klaus.

Last edited by cellotone on Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:02 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, if it is only the rear lens coating, then it is not as bad!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
OK, if it is only the rear lens coating, then it is not as bad!

Marks on both elements have been cleaned, and according to Mike, the coatings are ok. Thank you!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cellotone wrote:
Mike's charge is very reasonable

Would you (privately) share Mike's mail ??

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mir wrote:
cellotone wrote:
Mike's charge is very reasonable

Would you (privately) share Mike's mail ??

This is my first time met him, felt this gentlemen is honest and knowledgeable. The shop doesn't have website, and no email on phone book. I will ask his email.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very happy the job!

Last edited by cellotone on Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:38 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He did a great work so far. That's exactly I'm talking about when good serviceman meets ugly but otherwise CLAble lens Whoo Turtle

Results far better than expected, sometimes messy but untouched lens is much better than homemade fuckup "service"

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marek wrote:
He did a great work so far. That's exactly I'm talking about when good serviceman meets ugly but otherwise CLAble lens Whoo Turtle

Results far better than expected, sometimes messy but untouched lens is much better than homemade fuckup "service"

You are right! More than expected. Very happy!